March Smart Phone Madness Game 11: BlackBerry Bold 9700 vs. Palm Pre Plus

Update: The Palm Pre Plus is victorious!

Which smart phone is better? (Poll Closed)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700 (TMO) 50% (12603 votes)
    Palm Pre Plus (VZW) 50% (12713 votes)
    Total Votes: 25316

strange should have mopped the floor I wonder if carrier had any thing to do with votes
    03-30-10 10:45 AM
    Even if they do win, they're still on the verge of dying as a company.

So who's the real winner?
    03-30-10 10:48 AM
    Even if they do win, they're still on the verge of dying as a company.

So who's the real winner?
    Was that winner or wiener????
    03-30-10 10:51 AM
    I think the carrier have to do with that.

look: the Tour beat the iPhone by a very large score(VZW vs ATT), and now the 9700 is beaten by the Palm...

the 9700 is better than the 9630, so if the palm won vs the 9700, the palm is automaticly better than the iPhone, the 9700, and the 9630... No?

No sense at all...
    03-30-10 10:53 AM
    All this proved was that 110 more people are overly obsessed with their Palm device than their BlackBerry device.
    03-30-10 10:56 AM
    Let the kids have their joys for the moment hahaha. We all know at heart the 9700 is the winner
    That Poll website is lame anyway. All they care is attention and traffic to generate profit.
    Palm is on live support right now but honestly, I hope they will survive. If Palm dies, it also means one less competitor and less innovation.
    RIM needs too watch out.
    03-30-10 11:05 AM
    All this proved was that 110 more people are overly obsessed with their Palm device than their BlackBerry device.
    I couldn't agree more...though I voted for my beloved Onyx last night too
    03-30-10 11:09 AM
    geez, first it's the Curve with Verizon and now the Bold with T Mobile?

I was kind of thinking about getting a BBerry and then I started following this poll.

I would first think exactly what the above posted said but when it's 2 different carriers it starts to concern me about my next move. It shows me that people are starting to move past the BB and get into smartphones that do everything that a BB does and then some.

I've never owned a BB before so I'm asking you guys.

Do you see the company doing something in the near future to try to keep up with all of the cool stuff that Palm and DROID are doing?
    03-30-10 11:26 AM
    RIM is sitting on its @ss doing nothing innovative. All we’re seeing now is some lame updates and useless features that no one really cares.
    RIM is dedicated to business model phones but if it doesn’t reach out to the consumers market, it will be dying just like Palm is.
    “Innovate or disappear” - that is THE LAW of this industry.
    03-30-10 11:36 AM
    geez, first it's the Curve with Verizon and now the Bold with T Mobile?

I was kind of thinking about getting a BBerry and then I started following this poll.

I would first think exactly what the above posted said but when it's 2 different carriers it starts to concern me about my next move. It shows me that people are starting to move past the BB and get into smartphones that do everything that a BB does and then some.

I've never owned a BB before so I'm asking you guys.

Do you see the company doing something in the near future to try to keep up with all of the cool stuff that Palm and DROID are doing?
    You cannot go by this poll.

There is a reason the Blackberries are the number one phone in the business world.

There is a reason Palms aren't used, there is a reason Apple's are used. There is a reason Nokia's arent used.

This poll is so fan bois can beat up on other fan bois and want braging rights.

That's it, no more no less.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 11:36 AM
    yeah, but I've doing a lot of research on these smart phones and I know that Blackberry is a huge name and that so many companies use it but I'm not sure I quite get what it can do that this Palm can't do?

And then I look and I see all of the additional things that the Palm CAN do and I wonder why are they the ones going out of business if they do everything that a BB can do and then some, and they keep u[pdating their software.
    I'm puzzled.

I guess what I'm asking is: What can a BB do that a Palm can't?

The only thing that I really can find through my research so far is "text messaging with other BB users"

I figure that you all would be the perfect people to ask this.
    03-30-10 12:30 PM
    yeah, but I've doing a lot of research on these smart phones and I know that Blackberry is a huge name and that so many companies use it but I'm not sure I quite get what it can do that this Palm can't do?

And then I look and I see all of the additional things that the Palm CAN do and I wonder why are they the ones going out of business if they do everything that a BB can do and then some, and they keep u[pdating their software.
    I'm puzzled.

The only thing that I really can find through my research so far is "text messaging with other BB users"

I figure that you all would be the perfect people to ask this.
    What is the draw to business?
    1)Reliability
    2)Durability under stress
    3)Small learning curve of OS
    3)Consistency in their line-up (models do not drastically change)
    4)Push e-mail that is unmatched as of yet
    5)Integration with e-mail servers
    6) Security
    03-30-10 12:34 PM
    1)Reliability
    2)Durability under stress
    3)Small learning curve of OS
    3)Consistency in their line-up (models do not drastically change)
    4)Push e-mail that is unmatched as of yet
    5)Integration with e-mail servers
    6) Security
    7) the awesome BB Messenger
    8) Sexy 9700 - ok, this is my personal opinion i think its the sexiest smart phone out there period.
    9) RIM will be here to stay and supports its products. Palm will be history...Soon. look at Palm's stock value.
    03-30-10 12:41 PM
    thanks for helping me, guys, I appreciate it.
    I don't want to sound like a smart ***, but this wasnt my question.

My question was:

Because I'm finding things that a Palm can do that a BB can't and I'm wondering if BB has a list of things that "it" can do that a Palm can't.
    03-30-10 01:48 PM
    Owning both a BB and a Pre, I can say that there is no comparison when it comes to elegance and modern feel of webOS. It just does everything the BB does and then some.
    Mail-wise, the BB has more options but the speed of the two are equal. Messages come though via Exchange just as fast and reliable as over our BES. Doing SMS/MMS on the Pre far outperforms the BB....makes my BB look and feel very dated.
    Hardware-wise, the BB trumps the Pre and more comparable with the Pixi. The BB rules on Battery life over either webOS device.
    I get it, the BB has multitasking, but NOTHING comes close to webOS...no, not even Android. WebOS has the best metaphor for that.

I do see the corporate attraction to the BB though. It's proven, stable and doesn't change all too often causing IT headaches. IT departments loathe "changes"...set it up once and forget it...low maintenance cost.

I really think RIM ought to consider buying Palm out and making the webOS their lifestyle/consumer division...give up the Storm as a consumer cross-over device. However, at the speed RIM runs, Palm will dry-up and shrivel like a raisin by the time they realize they should have bought them.
    03-30-10 10:43 PM
    sweet, thanks for everyones help.
    Milenkod, that was very helpful. It's nice see that after doing all of my research I can hear that from someone who has had both.

What you said pretty much matches what I've learned from all of my looking around.
    I only use phones for 2 years at a time. I'm gonna go get a Pre Plus from Verizon and enjoy webOS for AT LEAST the next 2 years and hope that good things happen for Palm.

Later Crackberries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-31-10 03:50 PM
    I really think RIM ought to consider buying Palm out and making the webOS their lifestyle/consumer division...give up the Storm as a consumer cross-over device. However, at the speed RIM runs, Palm will dry-up and shrivel like a raisin by the time they realize they should have bought them.
    IF Blackberry ever implements webOS or any other variation of webOS, i will leave Blackberry or refuse to upgrade.

webOS is horrible, it's a smart phone with ADHD, and jacked up all on Mountain Dew after eating a bag of M&M's

NO THANK YOU......

03-31-10 04:05 PM
    Oh noes, we lost on a poll....heads out to buy the Palm Pre right now!
    03-31-10 06:38 PM
    Didn't hear it from me, but /b may have had a hand in that...
    04-01-10 12:35 AM
    We failed as crackberry addicts.
    Shame on us

04-01-10 12:52 AM
    We failed as crackberry addicts.
    Shame on us

we didn't fail, it was stoooopid poll about smart phones..... shame on you for thinking it meant something in the real world.

04-01-10 07:35 AM
    IF Blackberry ever implements webOS or any other variation of webOS, i will leave Blackberry or refuse to upgrade.

webOS is horrible, it's a smart phone with ADHD, and jacked up all on Mountain Dew after eating a bag of M&M's

NO THANK YOU......

Could not AGREE more!
    04-01-10 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD