I have my 3 month old 9780 which is trouble-free except that I've just noticed white fullstop dots on the keys last evening. On inspection, I find paint peeling off.

EDGE OF T-key, EDGE OF Y-key, SMALL NIPPLE on 5-key

[IMG][/IMG]

I am so fedup with the 9780 that I really don't know what to do. This is my 3rd handset while the earlier ones had some issues so had to seek a replacement.

What do you advise? Ignore or get it replaced ?

my only concern is that it should not increase till a point I've fullstops all over my keyboard
    Last edited by audio_engr; 10-26-11 at 07:14 AM.
    10-26-11 06:23 AM
    Personally, I think it's no big deal. I've had the same thing happen to my 9700 & 9780. With mine, the paint was wearing off due to use, no peeling.

RE: problems with the 9780... I've had several BBs over the years and never had to do a warranty exchange until I got the 9780. I'm on my 3rd one, as well. This one works perfectly.
    10-26-11 12:29 PM
    SMALL NIPPLE on 5-key
    Whoaaa...my 5 key has that too!! Common manufacturing defect?
    10-26-11 02:29 PM
    Yeah I had a lot of the black wearing off from the raised edge of a number of keys. I carry the phone in my pants a lot. For a while I though it was a backslash key LOL. Then I started seeing on several keys and realized it was something else. It will end up making the keys hard to read. It's problematic and shows poor quality.
    10-26-11 03:43 PM
    Hmm ! Handset now in the hands of Indian importer & RIM.

I understand RIM sends (just a few units of each device model) to their main service centers stocks that are usually not to be dispensed but kept for use when a situation mandates like for e.g. a VVIP's device goes bust. Usually, this stock is directly from Canada, manufactured meticulously under RIM & usually to be the very best versions of the model.

I am trying to get hold of a piece from this stock one now. Hope I succeed as I really want to close this phone swapping business for each & every issue "once for all" .....
    10-28-11 02:29 AM
    had the same problem with my 9780.. got it replaced by tmo and the new one is beginning to have the same issues.. this never was a problem on my 8900 or my curve 9300.. whats goin on here? 500 dollars for this? ahem.
    10-29-11 03:39 PM
    I don't haave any on the 't' or 'y' keys but the little dot on the 5 key is peeling

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-11 12:49 AM
    you can replace the keyboard yourself. buying a new one online and the tools to do so will cost you less than $20.
    10-30-11 02:01 AM
    I've just received a brandnew 9780 - my 4th one since March 2011 & this time (its a "Made in Canada 1") sent directly by RIM Waterloo after I sent a stinker Fax to both the CoFounders for getting hold of cheapo vendors & severely dropping on Quality for the newer products.

The initial look of the phone would the same as my previous Made in Hungary ones BUT the screen rez, keypad tactile feel seem to be quite different. The light leaks from the edges of the display screen would be non-existent while the bezel is absolutely such a precision fit that I didn't see on my earlier handsets. This is a 2010 3rd Qtr manufacturing and came loaded preloaded with OS 6.0.0.285

Yeah - before I even cared to restore my data, the 1st thing I did was move the OS to 6.0.0.668.

I have to say that although the device is barely 12 hrs in use, the feel is waaaayy different - screen rez, keys on the keypad, the trackpad - all seem much superior !

Wonder what RIM has really done to their 9780 from (say this one of Sept 2010) ??
    Last edited by audio_engr; 11-02-11 at 07:59 PM.
    11-02-11 07:57 PM
    I've just received a brandnew 9780 - my 4th one since March 2011 & this time (its a "Made in Canada 1")
    Welcome to the very exclusive 'Made in Canada1' club

My 9780 and 9790 are both Canada1's, and they are without a doubt THE best made devices!
    audio_engr likes this.
    11-02-11 08:31 PM
    Probably the same problem with 9700. But they don't come out that fast.
    11-03-11 06:22 AM
    Welcome to the very exclusive 'Made in Canada1' club

My 9780 and 9790 are both Canada1's, and they are without a doubt THE best made devices!
    9790??? that great, could you post some pics!!!
    11-03-11 09:28 AM
    9790??? that great, could you post some pics!!!
    I see you've already found them

11-03-11 11:01 AM
    @ Phill

Are all the 3 in that Trio pic "Made in Canada" ? i.e. 9780, 9790 & 9900

If so, man you have some heavy connections ...
    11-03-11 11:14 AM
    i have a 9780 "Hungary 2", been with me for almost a year now, there are little white dots starting to appear on my keypad, but this is due to normal use, primarily on emails and bbm. it's replaceable anyway. my last bb, 8900 "CANADA" does not even have any fades on the keys after using for a long time...the worst i got was the bold 9000, i have to replace the keyboard.
    11-03-11 12:13 PM
    @ Phill

Are all the 3 in that Trio pic "Made in Canada" ? i.e. 9780, 9790 & 9900

If so, man you have some heavy connections ...
    Nope, just the 9780 and 9790. Those were both pre-release devices.
    The 9900 was a carrier upgrade, Made in Hungary2. Still a solid build though, with no defects.

...and I have no connections whatsoever, just an eBay account

11-03-11 12:18 PM

...and I have no connections whatsoever, just an eBay account

U lucky dude ...
    11-03-11 12:56 PM
    @ Phill_UK

Ok - here's a question for you :

Since you own the 9780 running os 6 & the 9790 & 9900 running os 7, though this may not be fully fair, but how would you compare all the 3 ?

Lets put it for a general guy who shuffles thru mails, good amount of bbm, some net browsing (maybe), some common apps etc. No major stuff but just plain daily stuff.

You are the best guy to ask this as you're having all the 3 phones.

And would you say the 9780 lags behind in any way as it doesn't possess the 1.2Ghz proc but does that really matter ?
    11-03-11 07:23 PM
    Ignore it. It's normal wear and tear.

11-06-11 07:52 AM
    Ignore it. It's normal wear and tear.
    HUH !! u kidding in less than 90 days? And its spreading to other keys too ... & this is normal wear & tear?
    11-06-11 10:52 AM
    On 9780 #3 because of this issue. The dot on the 5 doesn't bother me. It's the other ones that have. But I'm rapidly approaching my year of warranty. All have been Mexico builds.

11-06-11 10:30 PM
    Wow, this issue is concerning to me, is there anyway to prevent this from happening?
    Like, are you guys having this issue place your onyx in your pocket without holster?
    I'm using a swivel holster for my onyx, I hope this can prevent the peeling issues, but I'm using my nails to press the button (I have big finggers), so could this be the cause?
    Maybe those who have this issues can answer and maybe you guys have the same treatment to your onyx that cause this peeling issues...
    11-07-11 02:00 AM
    In my case I have to say it from my own wear & tear.
    What some consider to be "normal" is their own conclusion.

I did see a post from a female member once who said they fixed the issue with a very slight touch of high grade jet black glossed nail polish. I remember that it seemed to provide a permanent fix, which was stronger than the original paint on the keys.

I have been thinking of trying this myself, but my lady hasn't found time to grab a bottle, and as a guy, I never think to buy any myself when in a drug store or something.

Gonna tie a string around my finger for next time.
    11-07-11 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD