i have a bold and love it . i dont use my camera much and i love the screen . now with the oynx coming out the only thing that will make me switch is the speed . does anyone know about the processor ?
    07-06-09 10:51 PM
    I remember reading somewhere (and I can't remember where) that the processor speed won't be quite as fast as the Bold. Don't quote me on that. Crucial would know, so maybe he'll chime in.
    07-06-09 11:38 PM
    Isn't the Onyx's processor supposed to be better (or at least the same) than the Bold's?

EDIT:

From Kevin's review of the Onyx:
    Processor: Not 100% sure actually, but am hearing its a Tavor processor that may be running even a bit quicker than the Bold's 624MHz processor (definitely seems snappy)
    07-06-09 11:39 PM
    Isn't the Onyx's processor supposed to be better (or at least the same) than the Bold's?
    That's what we're trying to figure out. The Onyx will have more memory (and I'm all for that), and that may be the dealsaver. We just have to wait and see, or someone will come in and set the record straight.
    07-06-09 11:43 PM
    That's what we're trying to figure out. The Onyx will have more memory (and I'm all for that), and that may be the dealsaver. We just have to wait and see, or someone will come in and set the record straight.
    Look again at my post. You caught it before I edited it.
    07-06-09 11:47 PM
    Look again at my post. You caught it before I edited it.
    No...I read it. Kevin didn't say definitely. He doesn't know for sure. It would be spectacular if the processor was faster, with the additional memory.

I don't know why there is NOTHING I can find via Google, to give me info on the processor...everything else, but the processor.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 07-06-09 at 11:59 PM.
    07-06-09 11:50 PM
    The Onyx has to have a better processor if it is to replace the Bold. If the only upgrade is the camera, then why would anyone want it. The screen resolution is going to be slightly better - a change so slight that we won't notice. Plus, there is a negative to the Onyx - it will be smaller. So, for those of us who like the Bold's width for typing, getting the Onyx will be disappointing. I would rather have a larger keypad and screen than an upgraded camera. The processor has to be faster to give the Onyx any credibility as being a Bold successor.
    07-07-09 12:07 AM
    The Onyx has to have a better processor if it is to replace the Bold. If the only upgrade is the camera, then why would anyone want it. The screen resolution is going to be slightly better - a change so slight that we won't notice. Plus, there is a negative to the Onyx - it will be smaller. So, for those of us who like the Bold's width for typing, getting the Onyx will be disappointing. I would rather have a larger keypad and screen than an upgraded camera. The processor has to be faster to give the Onyx any credibility as being a Bold successor.
    No...the processor could be equal to the Bold. Also, the only upgrade is not the camera (if the processor turns out to be equal to the Bold). It has 256 mb of memory.

Again, we know what we know, and what we don't know, we'll have to wait until we know it. I won't claim "disappointment" for a phone I've never seen/tried. It the processor is equal, with more memory, I'm happy.

As far as the keyboard being "tighter", that's an adjustment I can make. My friend has an 8900, and I adjusted to the keypad...almost instantly. Oh...and a "camera" is a BIG deal, to some people (me not being one of those people).
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 07-07-09 at 12:16 AM.
    07-07-09 12:13 AM
    Regarding the Onyx keyboard and how it compares to the Tour...

You got it guys. I just measured with a very simple method and they are the same size... but DONT take my word for it... Just watch the video when its up
    07-07-09 01:35 AM
    Even with common sense RiM will unlikely put a slower processor in the successor of the Bold.
    07-07-09 02:06 AM
    Even with common sense RiM will unlikely put a slower processor in the successor of the Bold.
    Don't you have one Jangofat?
    07-07-09 02:11 PM
    gotta figure it will be at least as good as the bolds or a little better and the additional ram should make for an increase in speed more memory less memory to leak
    07-11-09 09:50 PM
    It's not confirmed if the processor is better or not. People thought the Tour had a better processor because it felt faster.

It's all speculation but based on early testing, it appears to be very similar. So it could be a bit lower, the same, or better than the Bold's.
    07-14-09 07:49 AM
    The processor's max speed is 624MHz (according to the engineering screen in 'my' Onyx). It's pretty quick on 5.0.0.124, though that one still has some bugs.
    07-15-09 05:26 AM
    So it's the same processor as the bold?
    07-15-09 06:04 AM
    The processor's max speed is 624MHz (according to the engineering screen in 'my' Onyx). It's pretty quick on 5.0.0.124, though that one still has some bugs.
    124? Are you sure?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 01:10 PM
    Hahaha, yeah, I'm very sure. Can't make a capture now since I had to give it back. RIM wanted the engineering samples back :'(

Can't wait to get my hands on the next sample with hopefully a new firmware version. The .124 had the reboot bug, in the 10 days I've played with it I got 5 reboots... It also lost it's data connection a couple of times during the night. Could be that the 3G coverage in my house caused this. Quite poor 3G coverage there.
    07-17-09 10:23 AM
    they might try to cut costs and use the same proc but optimize the software so you think it will be faster. A lot of companies do this
    07-25-09 10:37 PM
    i cant wait for this phone!
    07-26-09 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD