Looking for a bit of guidance on email setup on a VZW 9930.

Currently, I'm using POP3 through NetworkSolutions. In a few weeks, we'll be upgrading to Exchange server with Outlook Web Access (OWA).

I've seen the instructions on setting up the 9930 (KB03133), but had a few questions:

1. I have a 2GB Data Plan with VerizonWireless. Will Verizon slap me with a BIS charge? I ask because everyone says you need BIS or BES for Exchange to talk to BB.

2. What will get synced? I'm really just looking for Calendar and Email.

3. What kind of sub-folder access will I have?

Any other guidance would be greatly appreciated. I know this would be less painful on a Q10, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until Dec and I want to see what 10.2 brings to the table.

Thanks,
    Scott
    07-01-13 08:44 PM
    Hey Scott..

first you need to have a BES (blackberry enterprise server) with your Exchange server. If you're a single user or small business, it's probably not worth it for you..

Verizon charges you about 10 bucks for bis/bes

If you have a bes server, you can connect your email, contacts, notes, calendar, and tasks.

yes, you can access your subfolders if you have a bes.

The Q10 can connect with activesync and give you the stuff i mentioned above.

Looking for a bit of guidance on email setup on a VZW 9930.

Currently, I'm using POP3 through NetworkSolutions. In a few weeks, we'll be upgrading to Exchange server with Outlook Web Access (OWA).

I've seen the instructions on setting up the 9930 (KB03133), but had a few questions:

1. I have a 2GB Data Plan with VerizonWireless. Will Verizon slap me with a BIS charge? I ask because everyone says you need BIS or BES for Exchange to talk to BB.

2. What will get synced? I'm really just looking for Calendar and Email.

3. What kind of sub-folder access will I have?

Any other guidance would be greatly appreciated. I know this would be less painful on a Q10, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until Dec and I want to see what 10.2 brings to the table.

Thanks,
    Scott
    bigdogweigand likes this.
    07-01-13 09:57 PM
    Hey Scott..

first you need to have a BES (blackberry enterprise server) with your Exchange server. If you're a single user or small business, it's probably not worth it for you..

Verizon charges you about 10 bucks for bis/bes

If you have a bes server, you can connect your email, contacts, notes, calendar, and tasks.

yes, you can access your subfolders if you have a bes.

The Q10 can connect with activesync and give you the stuff i mentioned above.
    Thanks for the info. Yea, BES isn't getting installed here. We're a small company and I'm the sole BB user (iPhone and Android users).

- Scott
    07-02-13 05:48 AM
    hey scott..

all may not be lost though.. i may be geeking out a lil bit.. so if i say something you don't understand let me know.. it depends on how your exchange server is setup. ask the guy that set it up if he's using mx records or if he's using a pop3 connector on exchange. if you're using a pop3 connector.. you can probably use BIS for your blackberry..
    07-02-13 05:52 PM
    hey scott..

all may not be lost though.. i may be geeking out a lil bit.. so if i say something you don't understand let me know.. it depends on how your exchange server is setup. ask the guy that set it up if he's using mx records or if he's using a pop3 connector on exchange. if you're using a pop3 connector.. you can probably use BIS for your blackberry..
    I'm a SysAdmin, so geek out. I'm working with the guy setting it up and he is going MX record. And as you said above, VZW nickels/dimes for BIS/BES, which I'm not game for.

When I got the 9930, Exchange wasn't on the horizon thus it wasn't a concern. I'm prepared to upgrade to a Q10 for the functionality (with the workplace picking up part of the tab).

- Scott
    07-02-13 06:20 PM