There is a chance I might start a new job. One which will require me to frequently be out doors and get caught in the rain. Those of you who've had the defender for a good amount of time and have been consistently caught in the rain with the phone holstered. Is it reliable?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 02:00 AM
    Funny, I was just searching for info about this. Thinking about this or the one from body glove. Its got a kick stand and its half the price lol
    05-23-10 03:55 AM
    I have a defender for my Ipod touch, and Im assuming its the same as the defender for the 9700. It looks exactly like the Incipio Silicryllic Im using on my 9700-very good case.
    05-23-10 08:28 AM
    I'm frequently caught running around outside in the rain at work Aside from fantastic drop protection, rain resistance is one of the main reasons I love OtterBox's!
    Be aware that no Defender series is waterproof, and OtterBox makes no claims to water resistance for these cases. Light to medium rain has been OK for me, torrential downpours and the Berry (w/Defender) stays inside or goes into a pocket.
    Having said that, I've had zero issues using my Berry with rain coming down on me, though I have modified my case a tiny bit

05-23-10 09:27 AM
    I love my outter box defender! The only complaint I have is that the clip on the holster broke off. I don't know if it was my fault or the design but I'm looking at getting another one again soon

05-23-10 11:36 AM
    I love my outter box defender! The only complaint I have is that the clip on the holster broke off. I don't know if it was my fault or the design but I'm looking at getting another one again soon

Contact OtterBox, phone call is best, and tell them what happened. They've usually been good to me about broken stuff

05-23-10 11:42 AM
    If I get it I will definitely mod it. The transparent camera film has a small slit on top. Ill remove that and adhere a solid transparent film of some sort. Same goes for the keypad I would adhere a transparent fill to the inside shell so everything is covered including track pad. I think the ear piece would need some covering as well as the mic. I was at the store checking out the otter box and it has a lot of areas that are easy targets for rain to get through.

I'm frequently caught running around outside in the rain at work Aside from fantastic drop protection, rain resistance is one of the main reasons I love OtterBox's!
    Be aware that no Defender series is waterproof, and OtterBox makes no claims to water resistance for these cases. Light to medium rain has been OK for me, torrential downpours and the Berry (w/Defender) stays inside or goes into a pocket.
    Having said that, I've had zero issues using my Berry with rain coming down on me, though I have modified my case a tiny bit

05-23-10 12:11 PM

Mine broke too... about a month and a half after I got it. A friend of mine has the 9000 and the holster on it is sooo much better of a design.
    05-23-10 12:25 PM
    Its no good for anything more than light drizzle, water will seep right through to the phone. Do not holster it in rain. I've dropped mine at heights up to 16 feet and not a bit of damage.

05-23-10 12:53 PM
    I have jumped off the back of my transport trailer twice at a height of 2.5 feet and had my 9700 in a Defender Otterbox bounce out of its holster and hit the ground. Picked it up and kept on using it. No damage, no errors. Best $60 CAD I have ever spent.
    05-23-10 01:00 PM
    I have jumped off the back of my transport trailer twice at a height of 2.5 feet and had my 9700 in a Defender Otterbox bounce out of its holster and hit the ground. Picked it up and kept on using it. No damage, no errors. Best $60 CAD I have ever spent.
    They really need to switch back to the old holster design! I would jump out the back of trailers all day long with the old design and never had it pop out of the holster
    05-23-10 01:06 PM
    Everything has worked well for me except for the holster. I've had more drops because of the holster than anything else. The other thing is that it retains a lot of fuzz and I've noticed that things like dog hair easily end up finding its way under the screen cover. I had no use for the keypad cover as it made using the trackpad difficult. All in all, the case it self does its job, it protects the phone from damage from falls and spills.
    05-23-10 01:15 PM
    If I get it I will definitely mod it. The transparent camera film has a small slit on top. Ill remove that and adhere a solid transparent film of some sort. Same goes for the keypad I would adhere a transparent fill to the inside shell so everything is covered including track pad. I think the ear piece would need some covering as well as the mic. I was at the store checking out the otter box and it has a lot of areas that are easy targets for rain to get through.

The slit on the camera film is for the speaker...so you can hear it They used to use a fabric mesh sticker (bad description) to cover this. I peeled one off an old I had laying around and stuck it on there.
    The earpiece is covered.
    The mic is not covered, but I imagine you would have sound issues if it was. It does have a foam donut around the mic hole to prevent echo inside the case.
    I wouldn't just stick a clear film over the keyboard as I believe a thick enough plastic to protect it would destroy any hope of feeling it. It comes with an excellent thermo formed cover that fits perfectly when you take a little time to fit it properly. For the trackpad, I cut a little strip off an old one and stuck it underneath the keyboard cover over the trackpad. Works like a charm
    Last edited by maxiang; 05-23-10 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    05-23-10 01:17 PM
    I use the k/b cover with no issues. The only issue I have is the keys at the edges of the k/b are hard to work with big meat sausages I have for fingers. I accept that and will not take my Defender off anyways.
    Last edited by PavementPilot; 05-23-10 at 04:31 PM.
    05-23-10 04:24 PM
    I have a commuter case for my 9700 and have to say best case ever My first one broke and i emailed otterbox and with in a week had a brand new one for free. i love otterbox
    05-23-10 05:35 PM
    Go with Seido. Otterbox quality has been horrible. My defender clip broke in one week. No I don't want another one.

05-23-10 05:43 PM
    The broken clip issue must have been a short term thing, I have had mine for 3 weeks, and I am wide, and knock against objects constantly. I have not broken my clip yet.
    05-23-10 09:21 PM
    My 9700 got wet through defender case 1 sec full immersion in water. stripped from case, tore apart, air dried for several hours and blow out w/high pressure dry air. moisture indicator is pink, phone working fine. Only place water got in so fast was the scroll hole on the keyboard cover.
    05-23-10 11:41 PM
    The 9k holster is better and more solid. I have had mine fall out allot thank goodness for the solidness of the defender it stands up against this.

05-24-10 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD