I'm currently running on the .405, the battery seems to die very quickly. By at least 4 hours off of a charger its around 70%-60% of battery and i don't even use it between those 4 hours. Anyone know which OS has the best battery life?
    02-09-10 12:18 PM
    I'm currently running .442. This morning, on a fresh charge overnight, I have been on the phone for approximately 3.5 hours (via UMA/wi-fi with normal cellular service also enabled as well as using a bluetooth headset for all my calls), and my 9700 now says I still have 40% battery left.

On my last charge, I used the phone very little, did probably a couple of hours of internet surfing and email, with wi-fi and bluetooth turned on the entire time. After 2.5 days, I still had 35% battery left.

To me, that's pretty damn good battery life.

That being said, when I was running .330, I believe my battery life was slightly better, but the 3G download speed was terrible. Now with .442 my 3G speed is reasonable (400k - 1200k).
    02-09-10 12:47 PM
    .405 is a amazing OS with outstanding battery life... if you are losing 30-40% of your battery in 4 hours... you have something running in the background or you need to learn wifi doesnt have to be on 24/7

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-10 01:04 PM
    I'm having the same issue running .405. I hardly talk about the phone (2 hrs AT MOSTa day). Don't use the internet very much. Mostly text, bbm and my battery hasn't lasted over a day since I got the phone about 2 weeks ago. By nights end I'm already on the low battery warning.
    02-09-10 01:08 PM
    .405 is a amazing OS with outstanding battery life... if you are losing 30-40% of your battery in 4 hours... you have something running in the background or you need to learn wifi doesnt have to be on 24/7

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i have wifi connection off, i only have that berryweather app running but it only updates once every hour, i have 3G on, and everything else is off...
    02-09-10 01:21 PM
    I'm having the same issue running .405. I hardly talk about the phone (2 hrs AT MOSTa day). Don't use the internet very much. Mostly text, bbm and my battery hasn't lasted over a day since I got the phone about 2 weeks ago. By nights end I'm already on the low battery warning.
    i bought my phone the day it was released for at&t. it was running on another os, .296 i think that was it... the battery didn't even last 3/4's of a day, when .405 was released i updated to that one, the battery lasted a little bit longer then the .296 one did. and now im just looking to see which os is better for battery support because i hate having my phone on the charger all day. i wouldn't mind if the net is a little slow as long as my battery lasts a day or two like other people's battery's haha
    02-09-10 01:26 PM
    Go for .442 - it's been good for me so far and for the 4 days since I've had it running, I've had zero random reboots, great battery life, and MUCH better 3G speeds - absolutely no complaints about it.
    02-09-10 01:39 PM
    Go for .442 - it's been good for me so far and for the 4 days since I've had it running, I've had zero random reboots, great battery life, and MUCH better 3G speeds - absolutely no complaints about it.
    yea im installing it right now to check it out. i hope it turns out great 4 me and thanx for the overview of it. hmm does the OS effect the dropped calls or is it the service? i have at&t and on the .405 that i have running, i have had way too many dropped calls everyday for the last month ever since that blackberry outage that rim had right before xmas
    02-09-10 01:54 PM
    I'm sure that dropped calls can happen for a variety of complex reasons including carrier signal quality at the location(s) you're at, possible interference, buildings (some buildings are notoriously bad for cell signals), OS bugs or at least imperfectly optimized software, and any combination of the above. Bottom line, there's no way of knowing if a change of OS version will help except to "suck it and see."
    02-09-10 02:17 PM
    I think the battery life per OS is device and carrier dependent. I am not an expert by any means, but my phone had the best battery life on .405. I am running .442 now and get about 1.5 days out of it. I get about 30-50 emails a day with a hand-full of texts and bbm's and I do about 1-2 hours worth of browsing. I probably talk about 2-3 hours a day tops. I am not disappointed by any means in the life of the battery with all of the features this phone has.

I have most of the standard apps running that people have also, beweather free, facebook, etc. On .405 I could get 2 days of battery and have about 20% left. A colleague of mine has .296 from ATT on his and he can get only a day but he is a heavy user. Not too shabby for all of the functionality we get.
    02-09-10 02:30 PM
    Just a general observation: Some OS builds may run a little different, sure... but what I've found is that WiFi and Twitter apps are the biggest battery drains. Weather apps unnecessarily updating every 5-10 minutes will hurt as well...

Take a look at those, fix/tweak those settings, and suddenly those "2+ days" claims don't seem so far-fetched.

(I use my phone extensively - even more since I've been out here and this is my only real form of communication. Charge it every night, but it's still at around 60-70% when I do - after a day of usage. This has been pretty consistent, and I'm one that usually tries each OS release for at least a week.)
    02-09-10 02:30 PM
    i am running OS .442 and i can go 2 days without charging
    02-09-10 02:40 PM
    I'm sure that dropped calls can happen for a variety of complex reasons including carrier signal quality at the location(s) you're at, possible interference, buildings (some buildings are notoriously bad for cell signals), OS bugs or at least imperfectly optimized software, and any combination of the above. Bottom line, there's no way of knowing if a change of OS version will help except to "suck it and see."
    haha all of those reasons are true. last week i went into a huge building and i didnt get any reception at all. i just updated to the .442 a few minutes ago, now i have to wait and see if the battery will live through tonight lol
    02-09-10 02:48 PM
    I think the battery life per OS is device and carrier dependent. I am not an expert by any means, but my phone had the best battery life on .405. I am running .442 now and get about 1.5 days out of it. I get about 30-50 emails a day with a hand-full of texts and bbm's and I do about 1-2 hours worth of browsing. I probably talk about 2-3 hours a day tops. I am not disappointed by any means in the life of the battery with all of the features this phone has.

I have most of the standard apps running that people have also, beweather free, facebook, etc. On .405 I could get 2 days of battery and have about 20% left. A colleague of mine has .296 from ATT on his and he can get only a day but he is a heavy user. Not too shabby for all of the functionality we get.
    I'd settle for 1.5 days at this point lol. I'm getting like not even a full day and I'm not running any of these weather apps, or twitter or any of that. I almost never turn on my wi-fi. Today for instance .. today, got up around 9:00 am ... took the phone off the charger (battery at 100%). Saw that I had a text msg ... replied, then I got another ... didn't reply. Sent out a few bbm's on the way to work (15 minute commute). GOt to work (no cell phones allowed @ wrk). Walked out to go get lunch, sent a few texts, 2 mms msgs to a fam member. Called up the moms and talked for about 20 minutes ... Came bakk to work .... put the phone away ... and 7 hrs from taking it off the charger and less than an hours worth of use my battery status sits at 80% currently. Hmmm ...
    02-09-10 02:57 PM
    i have wifi connection off
    Old wives tale. There have been studies done. Leaving UMA on drains your battery less than leaving it off. It takes less battery power for your phone to stay connected to a local router than it takes for your phone to search for and stay connected to a cell tower.
    02-09-10 03:01 PM
    Old wives tale. There have been studies done. Leaving UMA on drains your battery less than leaving it off. It takes less battery power for your phone to stay connected to a local router than it takes for your phone to search for and stay connected to a cell tower.
    Exactly.

I've found that being connected to a router actually conserves battery than
    it does drain it. This notion of it draining battery is getting pretty stupid here.

And for those who want to counter this argument, don't tell me that while
    WiFi is on and not connected to a router that it drains battery too because
    it's "constantly searching for saved routers." Bologna
    02-09-10 03:04 PM
    I think that's true too, however, leaving wifi turned on but not connected to any wifi hotspot or home router definitely does not save battery because your regular cell service is in play along with the wifi.
    02-09-10 03:29 PM
    For voice yes but not for data.
    02-09-10 03:32 PM
    Is everyone keeping their device in a case or holster while it sits? Mine is always in the leather pocket which puts it to "sleep" when it is just hanging out on my desk. Not sure how much battery this would conserve, just another observation.
    02-10-10 08:05 AM
    I'm currently running on the .405, the battery seems to die very quickly. By at least 4 hours off of a charger its around 70%-60% of battery and i don't even use it between those 4 hours. Anyone know which OS has the best battery life?

Surprising. I'm using .405 on ATT and loving it. I have backlighting at 100% and use the phone all day for uploading pictures , email and calls. At the end of the day 6am to 11pm i'm still at 75% to 80%.
    02-10-10 09:01 AM
    .423 the best for me.

I've to say that, because of that, I have not tried .442!
    02-10-10 10:06 AM
    i was running .405 and my battery would go to 70% within two hours of no use. i just updated to .442 .. so far it seems faster and very responsive (when looking through photos and music) .. ive heard good things about battery life in other posts about the .442 update..
    02-10-10 11:12 AM
    I have .405 and my battery NEVER dies! I txt, FB, bbm, email, and use social scope like crazy.. my phone is literally GLUED to my hand, and I can go a day and a half (minimum) without charging it!
    02-10-10 11:26 AM
    Surprising. I'm using .405 on ATT and loving it. I have backlighting at 100% and use the phone all day for uploading pictures , email and calls. At the end of the day 6am to 11pm i'm still at 75% to 80%.
    wow thats good, maybe when i installed .405 onto my phone a bug was on it or something.... now that i updated to .442 yesterday i unplugged my phone at around 9am off the charger with 100% battery, i check it at around 10am and it was still at 100% usually with .405 on my phone it would be at around 90%-85% without any usage....
    02-10-10 12:57 PM
    I think its important to mention the use of Standby mode. I have Auto standby which throws the phone into standby mode when not use for a designated time period and found it increased the duration of the battery charge by 70%.

Standby is your friend.
    02-10-10 01:16 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD