07-28-09 11:39 PM
720 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Pretty decent build. Better battery life, a lot snappier than the stock OSm only had one random reboot so I can't complain. Other than being too lazy to correct the VM issue, all is well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 12:11 AM
    Can i use DM 4.6 to update this os onto my Bold instead of DM 4.7? Because I only have a pathetically slow gprs connection and lack the patience to download DM 4.7 which is around 80 mb. Please let me know, anyone!

Not only can you use DM 4.6, but you should use DM 4.6 instead of 4.7. A lot of the problems people report seem to stem from using 4.7 to update the OS.
    05-01-09 05:23 AM
    Not a very good release in my opinion...upgraded from 247 to 266 and now find that weathereye doesnt work...says no city found...when London UK is one of the largest cities in the world lol...even putting in NYC dont help.
    Quicklaunch works but leaves those stupid silly arrows on the screen...if u press the bb button then they go away.

Im going back to 247 by the looks of it...everything worked perfectly fine on it.
    I wouldn't damn the release because of that. It is in my opinion superior to .247. I had no problems with WeatherEye when I had to input my city again (although I then dumped WeatherEye for WeatherBug again because the latter goes better with the new theme I started using yesterday after upgrading). As for QuickLaunch . . . meh.
    05-01-09 05:27 AM
    Do I need to replace the deleted file with something else?
    Nope you dont...delete it then install the OS.
    05-01-09 06:16 AM
    Same here...a re install and a restart doesn't seem to help either.

UPDATE: Another restart later and it has now found London!!
    Funnily enough mine worked this morning...go figure eh??..maybe it takes a bit of time to get all the info...just found it very strange that it couldnt find London of all places lol.

Same thing with Quicklaunch...seems to have sorted itself out now.

All is running fine..not really noticing a difference in memory or anything like that...weathereye just leaks an leaks memory like a madman but at the mo i cant find anything better...didnt like weatherbug at all. Doesnt really bother me as i have a batt pull scheduled at 4am every night so i start with a fresh device everyday.
    05-01-09 06:19 AM
    Yesterday everything worked fine for me.. today my Bold stopped receiving emails.. I resent the books (didn`t help), i re-added my accounts (didn`t help), i did few battery pulls (did`t help), i turned off sim security (tell you why later) and my Bold started to receive mails.. ?! Is that strange or what?

Why i even thinked about doing that,.. was because my Bold does lock it`s keypad before i can enter my pin. So i have to unlock my keypad, then enter my pin.. Is that normal? I don`t remember doing that on .247.. (when phone boots up first thing after security check you are prompted to enter pin.. right?)

Now i have turned on sim security again and i am getting emails in.. Keypad still locks after reboot, .. can anyone please tell me why that is ?
    05-01-09 06:32 AM
    ^^^Its a glitch in the matrix...dont worry about it, it works now doesnt it??..sometimes when you upgrade to a new OS things dont work properly right away but with a bit of fiddling around or batt pulls they seem to work out the problems by itself.
    05-01-09 06:47 AM
    Yes mails are comming in now.. And also as you said, the problem with the "keypad lock on sim entry" worked out itself with some battery pulls. Thx

Glitch in the matrix
    Last edited by bizzario; 05-01-09 at 07:17 AM.
    05-01-09 06:57 AM
    I upgraded last night after using JL_CMDR to wipe the handheld, then used CRACKMEM to modify the install. So far so good. The biggest difference is the increase in application memory. It's never been above 30 with a fresh install of .167, but with all my apps installed I'm sitting at approximately 43MB of app memory free with .266. Seems to run a little smoother and faster too.

I'd say well worth the time and effort of upgrading.
    05-01-09 10:26 AM
    Any report of significant lower volume coming from the ear piece speaker? I can barely hear my calls
    05-01-09 10:30 AM
    Mine has been running for past two days and only trouble I had was a delay in receiving some emails yesterday. Now it is running just fine today.
    05-01-09 10:39 AM
    i'm trying to update! i delete the vendor.xml file but still im not prompted to update my phone =(
    05-01-09 11:50 AM
    I'm definitly going back to .247 .266 is killing my battery I never had to charge my phone during the day and now I have toi carry a car charger. This is why I got rif of my iphone 3g. Downgrading tonight

05-01-09 12:01 PM
    I'm running V 4.6.0.162....

please feel free to yell..... I deseerve it...
    05-01-09 12:45 PM
    Mind u, im updating it now, just installing the file.. if anyone doesnt mind me asking, what are some of the differences i might notice?
    05-01-09 12:54 PM
    Much better then .247. Memory leak is slower if any. This morning at 5am it was at 40MB and now it is 36.5 MB 12pm.
    .247 would be at 21MB by now
    05-01-09 01:11 PM
    I'm having a hard time understanding this "memory leak" thing. Sorry, I'm being newbish...
    05-01-09 01:23 PM
    I really love this new OS. I downloaded and installed it yesterday, took about 10 minutes, and right away I noticed the memory performance increase. However, today my memory dropped to what it was before the upgrade. And I still haven't noticed the browser being faster. However, I'm not complaining because everything is working fine.

I just had one question. I read that for the first 3 charges after an OS upgrade you should fully charge the battery and let it drain all the way down to 10-15% and then charge it again to 100% so that the battery meter works properly. I just wanted to know if that is in fact what I should be doing.
    05-01-09 02:00 PM
    I'm definitly going back to .247 .266 is killing my battery I never had to charge my phone during the day and now I have toi carry a car charger. This is why I got rif of my iphone 3g. Downgrading tonight

My battery is being killed on .266 too. Gonna try .247.
    05-01-09 02:08 PM
    Oh nice.. I was on .247 and just tried to install .266.. got loads of errors, and the most prominent one from DM.. saying that my calendar couldn't be restored. perfect!
    05-01-09 02:37 PM
    I'm not going to change my ole .167 until ATT decides to change it. It would be just my luck to brick the thing when it runs like a, er, clock, right now!

I haven't had to do a battery pull or had a single slowdown in a month, my audio is perfect, my email/GPS and whatever else is spot on, and when I read that so many guys with that same record decide to "fix" it with an OS "upgrade" it makes me shake my head in wonderment!

Good luck, y'all.

Sign me, "Down on the farm and happy as a pig in mud"

AJ
    05-01-09 02:57 PM
    I have had the phone on all day and I haven't even lost a full bar yet.
    Last edited by BlueTurboShark; 05-01-09 at 03:14 PM.
    05-01-09 03:11 PM
    hi,
    I Am already with .266 east asia, but I miss my Portuguese Is there support for Portuguese in this Vodafone version ?
    Thanks
    05-01-09 03:44 PM
    Did the upgrade yesterday and only had to do a battery pull only after I completed restoring my data. I only had to upgrade cause YouTube never worked on 3G, but only worked on WiFi.

Plus, there were improvements on the browser side. I noticed loading and scrolling websites is now faster. Didn't notice any changes to my memory, but still can manage to squeeze out 41MB of free app memory.

So far so good. Totally recommend it.
    05-01-09 04:10 PM
    I did the upgrade from AT&T .167. Very nice jump of memory from 44MB to 55MB free after a 3 finger salute reset (alt + left shift + del). Google apps (Gmail, Google Maps) stopped working afterwards saying there was no active data connection, but I could fix the problem by entering the APN information (username: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, password: CINGULAR1) through Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP. When using .167, the APN could be left empty and Google apps still worked. Everything feels snappier, browser is faster, wifi is more stable (no more loss of the ability to communicate with the wireless access point randomly), all the 3rd party applications I use regularly work as usual (IM+, SplashMoney, eReader, Mobipocket Reader), Repligo Reader seems to be faster in rendering complex PDFs. Free memory almost never goes below 50 MB now, while in .167, the free memory could go all the way down to 31 MB after prolonged usage, a definite improvement on memory management. I would recommend this upgrade.
    05-01-09 04:44 PM
720 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD