Are we going to be able to run OS 7? Is it going to be a lite version? What is the low down on all this stuff for 9780 users?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-11 01:47 PM
    More likely a lite version... if anything at all.

Full blown OS7 will probably require hardware that current OS6 devices don't have.
    04-30-11 01:55 PM
    I doubt it, but i hope they do.

I have a feeling it will only be available for their new phones coming out this year.
    04-30-11 01:56 PM
    I think most of you will opt for the Bold Touch. I would also think that the new OS would be a little sluggish on the slower processor. Maybe there will be a lite version.

Please tell RIM to hurry!
    04-30-11 02:52 PM
    I read the blog by Kevin re: OS7 and he said no QNX. I've seen many people mention QNX but I haven't a clue as to what it is. Can someone enlighten me please? I'd appreciate it. Thanks
    highline likes this.
    04-30-11 08:29 PM
    I read the blog by Kevin re: OS7 and he said no QNX. I've seen many people mention QNX but I haven't a clue as to what it is. Can someone enlighten me please? I'd appreciate it. Thanks
    QNX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw i wouldnt be surprised if the 9780 will run 7, especially if the Torch is getting the update. unless i missed something and it isnt getting it anymore.
    shaleem likes this.
    05-01-11 01:55 AM
    QNX is a programing structure like RIM's own Java based programing, that allow the phones to handle more features. The simplest way to say this is that QNX running phone will be able to programs from the Android applications.

It is written in a programming language that is different from what RIM is using for their phones. This is a good thing because, this will expand the capabilities of Blackberry phones. The current Android based phones are similar to QNX OS.

QNX has been used in many military and space projects and proven to be very stable and reliable programing structure.

Hope this helps.

QNX Realtime Operating System (RTOS) software, middleware, development tools and services for superior embedded design
    anon(2915233) and shaleem like this.
    05-01-11 02:05 AM
    Considering that I just purchased my 9780 after dropping the 9700 into the kitchen sink when it was full of water, I hope that the new OS will work on the 9780. Although, given RIM's support, or lack thereof, of its previously released phones, and based on history, I highly doubt that the new OS will be made available for our phone. I hope I'm wrong.
    highline likes this.
    05-01-11 06:09 PM
    Considering that I just purchased my 9780 after dropping the 9700 into the kitchen sink when it was full of water, I hope that the new OS will work on the 9780. Although, given RIM's support, or lack thereof, of its previously released phones, and based on history, I highly doubt that the new OS will be made available for our phone. I hope I'm wrong.
    It will NOT be available for 9780 because to run QNX, you need a dual-core processor. The 9780 simply cannot handle the operating channel that QNX use. So, this will not be available for 9780 simply because your hardware will NOT support the OS. RIM can't do much about it. (they can't come up with a hardware update for 9780)

I hate RIM too.... but I tried my brother's iPhone 4 and I can't type fast on touch screen. I am seriously considering buying an iPhone 5 when it becomes available and attach a physical buletooth keyboard. I hate touch screen keyboards and that's the only reason why I am with BlackBerry.
    05-02-11 09:46 AM
    It will NOT be available for 9780 because to run QNX, you need a dual-core processor. The 9780 simply cannot handle the operating channel that QNX use. So, this will not be available for 9780 simply because your hardware will NOT support the OS. RIM can't do much about it. (they can't come up with a hardware update for 9780)
    OS 7 is NOT based on QNX.
    mssca likes this.
    05-02-11 10:12 AM
    Yea I heard that OS7 is not coming to any of the older blackberry devices as hardware wont support it. A few people tweeted it.
    05-02-11 10:59 AM
    Yea, it is kinda annoying that we won't be able to update.
    05-02-11 11:03 AM
    as far as i know, there isn't much changes to the OS7 and OS6. Well maybe apart from the liquid graphics i guess but having OS7 lite would have been a good idea. Damn you RIM! Ain't getting my new blackberry til december :O
    05-02-11 12:06 PM

....N0....

05-02-11 12:07 PM
    ....yes....
    05-02-11 01:23 PM
    OS 7 is NOT based on QNX.
    I mean the NEW OS that come up with QNX. Yes, I know that OS7 is not based on QNX. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for pointing it out.
    05-02-11 01:32 PM
    No, for the love of God. Damn.... Now what?
    05-02-11 05:02 PM
    yep, just gonna stay away from crackberry's 9900/9930 updates for a while. i was so excited to receive my brand new bold 9780 about 3 months ago (still trying to customize it like my own, themes, colors, tips&tricks, etc.), but watching the newest videos such as this one makes me pretty sadfaced.
    05-02-11 09:26 PM
    Ah! Just saw some people saying no OS update for us! Damn I just bought this phone 2 months ago!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-11 10:25 PM
    Ugh, this is SO ridiculous. My phone is a week old. And don't give me lectures about it being out for ages, it's a new phone damn it.
    05-03-11 02:11 AM
    "Mr. Blocking said the BlackBerry 7.0 software will only be available on new BlackBerrys, and cannot be downloaded for devices that have already been released, such as the BlackBerry Torch."

RIM Updates BlackBerry Bold - WSJ.com
    05-03-11 07:27 AM
    well RIM at least give us the ability to turn off the sliding dock on the next update. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-03-11 08:27 AM
    Ugh, this is SO ridiculous. My phone is a week old. And don't give me lectures about it being out for ages, it's a new phone damn it.
    Oh you'll still get plenty of OS6 updates.
    05-03-11 08:43 AM
    OS6 > OS7 makes me remember moving from vista to win7 lol

anyways, i think i'll be getting a 9900 ...i really hope these units dont suffer from stuttering!
    05-03-11 08:48 AM
    As is my standard reply, I am NOT going to get worked up over whether the 9780 will or won't have OS7. I bought it for what it gives me now. If it couldn't satisfy my needs now, I wouldn't have bought it. If I determine later that I need what 7 gives me, then I will see about getting a device then. I cannot and will not play this game. I would forever be playing catch up with this technology. For the record though, I just recently came back to Blackberry because I no longer want a touch screen phone. I have an Android tablet (which I love also) and it suits most of my data needs. I wanted a phone that does all the things a phone does well which Blackberry is clearly superior at (call quality, battery life, notifications, messaging AND the ability to do it all one-handed). I do not want yet another touch screen phone because until such time as batteries catch up, I would never get that great of battery life out of it. Now, should RIM come out with a "normal" Blackberry with clearly superior hardware, I will be right on it.

P.S. Is it me or is the camera on the 9780 inferior to the one that was one the 9700?
    Last edited by clitrenta; 05-03-11 at 10:24 AM.
    05-03-11 10:20 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD