I finally "upgraded" to OS 6 yesterday on my Bold 9650. I am an experienced BB user. I have looked for this issue in prior threads, but have not found. Maybe I'm missing something, but first, the browser 'font adjustment' does not work - changing either from the 1 to 14 setting renders NO change to the webpage. Web pages like CNN, Onion, NBA.com, etc have really, really small fonts that can't be made bigger (no Zoom option in the menu, and why should I have to resort to that, anyway?). WHY DOES THE BROWSER FONT ADJUSTMENT NOT WORK AT ALL??
    Also - how do I get the Voicemail notifier to NOT show up in the 'Text message' listings? If I remember, I was able to make that change in the older OS. And what happened to all the notifiers/alerts/ringers that were in OS 5?
    I cannot believe the 'brilliant' folks at BB, after all the buildup to OS 6, released it with such glaring, obvious omissions/deficiencies. Or maybe I'm missing something...
    06-12-11 11:50 AM
    I think the problem is RIM took away "Column View" in OS6. I use a Tour w/OS5 and like you I set the font to 14 and the default view to be column view. Every site I go to is very readable that way. But I was messing with a Bold 9650 w/OS6 in a VZW store. I set the font to 14, and of course there is no default page view setting I could find. So then, annoyingly, every page load zooms out by default. I do not like that either. I wonder if there is a shortcut key or something to get around that? Make it act like OS5? But I doubt it. I have read other similar complaints on this forum.
    06-12-11 12:14 PM
    One possibility as well is to use Opera Mini 6. It does a much better job with this and is a lot faster as well. I had thought if I go to a 9650 and could not find a work around I would just end up using OM6 all the time. As it is I use it about 80% of the time and the native browser the other 20%.
    06-12-11 12:18 PM
    Any "default font size" I choose, from 1 thru 14 renders NO CHANGE!! I can't believe it! This is extremely annoying, irritating, and aggravating. Now, what do I do - find a way to GO BACK to OS 5 due to BB's incompetence? I tell you, this is about to be the last straw (of many short straws) with these Blackberry phones... I'm about to forgo the "promise" of the 9900's about to come out, and switch to the Motorola XPRT. I have given BB so much time to get their sh _ t together - and then, this?? It's embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for Blackberry-
    06-12-11 12:24 PM
    As stated, the problem is that there is no "Column View" in the OS6 browser. You are not the first, and certainly not the last, to complain out it (I have, too). However, as also previously posted, download Opera Mini by going to http://m.opera.com on your 9650's browser (yea - that one), and try it out. I use Opera Mini for roughly 90% of my browsing, including CNN and CrackBerry. Works very well.

Hope this helps...
    06-12-11 12:46 PM
    Thanks, Blackfeet, southlander... I have Bolt as an alternate browser - changed from Opera to that a while back... guess I'll replace the BB browser w/Bolt on my top line of icons. And I know I'm 'late' to this 'party'... hey, what about the Voicemail notifications in my Text message listings - is there a way to have them not show up there (thanks again, 'guys')?
    06-12-11 01:01 PM
    Thanks, Blackfeet, southlander... I have Bolt as an alternate browser - changed from Opera to that a while back... guess I'll replace the BB browser w/Bolt on my top line of icons. And I know I'm 'late' to this 'party'...
    I'd still give Opera Mini 6 a try - I have tried Bolt but it never worked well for me for basic views, like what we all want out of the native browser. The latest Opera Mini 6 basically fixed all the issues v5 had, and works extremely well.

hey, what about the Voicemail notifications in my Text message listings - is there a way to have them not show up there (thanks again, 'guys')?
    Search is your friend. Try these threads:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/tur...essages-43077/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/sms...cations-87412/
    06-12-11 01:10 PM
    ... ok, I've installed Opera 6 and will give a try... and after reading the SMS/Voicemail threads... still, another annoying oversight by BB/RIM. Someone please give me a good reason not to ditch these guys for a Motorola XPRT when my upgrade time is here?
    06-12-11 01:56 PM
    Hi all-

New CB user here, but not new BB user. I just got a Bold 9650 to replace my Curve 8330 I've had for a few years. I liked it and didn't really need an upgrade. I would still be using it if I hadn't given it swimming lessons last Saturday.

Anyway, by the fact that I'm on this thread, I'm sure you know what my problem is. Any website without a mobile variant is pretty much useless with this browser, and this was a shock to me vs my 8330. I see that downloading Opera is a good solution, but I have to ask this:

After what must have been many, many complaints, RIM hasn't issued a software update or patch to fix this, sorta like Microsoft does for the home computers every time it screws up Windows?

Thanks,

Ken
    Last edited by icman95; 08-11-11 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
    08-11-11 08:34 PM
    @icman95 - No problem for me. Two options:
    1) Press ALT+scroll trackball to change zoom factor
    2) Position the cursor on the page until it becomes a little magnifying glass, then click the trackpad - the page zooms up to whatevr font size you've set and the text auto-justifies to fit the window size.

I've tried Bolt and Opera Mini and much prefer the native browser in OS6.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-11-11 08:45 PM
    jb,

Thanks, that's what I've been doing, but it seems like a pain in the neck compared to my 8330 where I didn't have to do any of that. The browser automatically formatted each page to be legible and fit on the screen without side scrolling. If I'm reading the other replies above correctly, it seems to be an oversight on RIM's part. Who would have guessed that an upgrade in technology is literaly-in this case- one step forward and two back.

Other than this issue, I really do like it better than the old one. It's faster, more features, memory, etc., but this might be a game stopper for me.
    08-11-11 08:52 PM
    jb,

Thanks, that's what I've been doing, but it seems like a pain in the neck compared to my 8330 where I didn't have to do any of that. The browser automatically formatted each page to be legible and fit on the screen without side scrolling. If I'm reading the other replies above correctly, it seems to be an oversight on RIM's part. <snip>
    Your Curve had a "column view" option for the browser. No such thing in the OS6 WebKit browser. It's not an oversight - just a different browsing experience. I actually like it a lot - except for a few mobile sites (CBS Sports comes to mind) that won't zoom. But you've gained tabbed browsing! :-) For me, that offsests a multitude of sins!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-12-11 07:54 AM
    Yup, you're right. Not an oversight, just different. I guess I'll just have to work with it. Thanks.
    08-12-11 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD