View Poll Results: Which version of .282 are you using?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Asian

11 22.45%
  • Rogers

23 46.94%
  • Vodafone

15 30.61%
    Hey All,

Just want to get your take on which version you've found runs the best.

I was having memory leak issues on Asian version. Switched to Rogers, but now find my battery isn't lasting as long.

Is it worth trying Vodafone?

Which version U using?
    08-11-09 09:18 AM
    I did a clean wipe using BBSAK and installed Rogers' .282 and having NO issues with battery. Great 3G also!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 09:34 AM
    I did a clean wipe using BBSAK and installed Rogers' .282 and having NO issues with battery. Great 3G also!

Same for me .282 from Rogers ROCK!!!
    08-11-09 09:38 AM
    Same for me .282 from Rogers ROCK!!!
    Sorry to be the roger killer but I tried there version and had a big memory leak with it. I use vodafones .282 and can't say I have any complaints.

08-11-09 10:55 AM
    The installable filesets are identical in a binary comparison between the Rogers and Vodafone downloads. That's both the Java folder and the UMTS folder, zero differences. The only difference in the on-pc install are in vendor.xml, but that gets deleted anyway.

Now, if anyone can provide a convincing and rational technical explanation (not involving substance abuse) why users report different results on the same hardware between the two downloads.... we would love to hear it.

Note: Method to reproduce comparison,
    * Download .282 Rogers and .282 Vodafone.
    * Install first OS on PC. Rename folder 9000-V4.6.0.282_P4.0.0.235 by adding vendor name to prevent overwrite. Install second OS.
    * Open Command Prompt (DOS window) and use FC tool to compare, using /B switch and redirecting output to text file. Check both Java and UMTS folders.
    fc /B <path>\9000-V4.6.0.282_P4.0.0.235-rogers\*.* <path>\9000-V4.6.0.282_P4.0.0.235-voda\*.* >result.txt
    * Review text file after completion.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/282...ml#post3236943

CX says they're identical as well:

No there is absolutely zero difference between the Asia version and the Rogers version except the Vendor.xml file.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/rog...ml#post2956615

And then if common sense does not prevail, remember middle school math: If A=B and B=C then A=C
    Last edited by jeffreii; 08-11-09 at 12:25 PM.
    08-11-09 12:19 PM
    Never experienced any mem leaks or battery drainage that you seem to be experiencing with the Rogers .282!
    08-11-09 02:48 PM
    And then if common sense does not prevail, remember middle school math: If A=B and B=C then A=C
    Nobody asked for your facts, we just want opinions

08-11-09 02:57 PM
    I've tried all 3 and the Vodafone works best for me. Great battery life and memory management. Plus no problems with dropping calls in 3G.

08-11-09 03:23 PM
    I've tried all 3 and the Vodafone works best for me. Great battery life and memory management. Plus no problems with dropping calls in 3G.

Same thing for me, asian and rogers did not run as great as the vodafone is for me. My battery is lasting longer than it ever has with 3G and my memory stays at a constant level. Try it out and see how you like it
    08-11-09 04:01 PM
    remember middle school math: If A=B and B=C then A=C
    I've always found that you can re-install the same OS and get different results. There might not be scientific rational, but I've had it happen several times...
    08-11-09 04:12 PM
    I only tried the Rogers version. But after a few weeks went back to .266. I just didn't like the fact my in call volume was significantly lower with this build.
    08-11-09 04:13 PM
    When will any of you get it through your brains it's the same OS?

Please read Branta's argument without just skimming over it.
    08-11-09 05:22 PM
    When will any of you get it through your brains it's the same OS?

Please read Branta's argument without just skimming over it.
    Be thankful there isn't a 4th .282 release out there.

08-11-09 08:36 PM
    I too, had problems with the Asian .282. However, I found another .282 at SK Telecom which seems hold up memory pretty well. The previous Asian .282 was killing me and response times were really slow. This one from SK seems pretty solid to me. They very well could be the same OS. But give it a try, you may surprised.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...NT9rYJBv7-LQ**
    08-12-09 12:34 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/282...ml#post3236943

CX says they're identical as well:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/rog...ml#post2956615

The problem is when people don't use the different OSs or compare before providing the opinion that they are exactly the same in every single way.

I have used all 3 versions. The Asian one was a huge problem for me when it came to memory. After a battery pull i had about 32mb of memory and by the end of the day i'd be lucky to have 15mb left.
    then rogers came out and it was FANTASTIC. after a battery pull i had 39mb and by the end of the day i still had 29 and it stays that way. but media card loading (pics) took FOREVER
    then i started using voda and never looked back. battery pull took me to 45mb and after 2-3 days i still have 34mb left.
    All tests were done with the same amount of programs installed. usage didn't differ, and yet just the memory jumps alone proves there is a difference doesn't it?
    08-12-09 12:58 AM
    Asian version gave me massive memory leaks, switched to rogers and batt life is great, I dumped all the things I didn't need before installing like video's, sample pics, visual voicemail, PTT etc, after bat pull I have close to 50MB of mem, after 82hr of runtime I'm only down to 41MB

08-12-09 01:47 AM
    How about picture loading in media? Which one load the fastest? This is what I concern now

08-12-09 02:39 AM
    How about picture loading in media? Which one load the fastest? This is what I concern now
    I'm on Rogers and it is SUPER SLOW!

Nikolous, a couple posts back, had the same problem and switched to Vodafone, which was better. I'm thinking of giving it a shot.
    08-12-09 08:42 AM
    I've always found that you can re-install the same OS and get different results. There might not be scientific rational, but I've had it happen several times...
    This seems to support the argument that they are identical. Not only based on the fact that the "same OS gives different results" for you, but if you look at EVERY thread about new beta OS's, you have some people who say the battery life is great, some say it's terrible. Some say memory leaks, some say no problem whatsoever. Some say it's fast, some say it's slow.

It's no wonder when preconditioned with the idea that there are actually some differences between the same OS builds (despite hard evidence of them being identical), that people have different results...conceived in their mind or because of some variable that they do not account for...or just something went wrong during the install.

The problem is when people don't use the different OSs or compare before providing the opinion that they are exactly the same in every single way.

I have used all 3 versions. The Asian one was a huge problem for me when it came to memory. After a battery pull i had about 32mb of memory and by the end of the day i'd be lucky to have 15mb left.
    then rogers came out and it was FANTASTIC. after a battery pull i had 39mb and by the end of the day i still had 29 and it stays that way. but media card loading (pics) took FOREVER
    then i started using voda and never looked back. battery pull took me to 45mb and after 2-3 days i still have 34mb left.
    All tests were done with the same amount of programs installed. usage didn't differ, and yet just the memory jumps alone proves there is a difference doesn't it?
    I have also tried all 3 in an attempt to prove myself wrong and yet I could not find any noticable difference between them. Your task, and the task of others who disagree, is to explain how it's possible that you could have drastically different results when the files that are installed to your phone have been PROVEN to be identical by a binary comparison.

It appears that people would rather ignore the facts and believe in some cosmic phenomena occuring that perhaps has installed better karma into one version or the other.

I for one, would love to get a factual statement explaining why it's possible that they're different.
    08-12-09 08:55 AM
    I'm running the Asian version now...and have no real issues aside from the occassional white screen upon removing the Bold from its holster when there's a new email or message...but that's been consistant with every of the most recent builds, so I guess it's just an annoyance that I have to get over.

But, can someone provide a link to the Vodafone .282 OS for download? I can find the Asian and Rogers versions...but not Voda.

Thanks for the help!
    08-12-09 09:13 AM

OK, we know there will be some potential differences between the EA and Multilanguage builds. At least in some cases the radio file is different, and the language support files are different (depending what you select to install).

There is no difference whatsoever between the files in different carriers' releases of Multilanguage. We have proved it by comparison of the install files after unpacking to the same PC, and I also published the method for anyone else to reproduce and verify my findings. If the files are identical then the resulting image on the phone should be identical, and being logical software it should have exactly the same behavior.

However, before you can make any assumptions about observed test results you have to enforce some conditions for comparison.
    1. Absolutely identical installation routine. That means the same Desktop Manager install, same selections for install, and starting from the same prior base. In practical terms the only way a user with one phone can start from a standard condition is to do a full Wipe before installing as a clean OS. It is not possible to do it any other way, because installing one then installing another means they don't start from the same condition and it is impossible to roll back to exactly the same common ancestor condition.

2. Identical test conditions. Same emails, same web pages viewed in the same sequence, same radio conditions, same phone usage... etc. Without test laboratory equipment nothing works in a short test although you might be able to average over long periods (weeks/months) to smooth the short term variations. Even this would not entirely eliminate variations like a tower out of service for a few days so you have been using a secondary cell, or a neighbor buying a new device which messes with the radio environment and pushes you to higher battery drain.
    08-12-09 09:48 AM
    OK, we know there will be some potential differences between the EA and Multilanguage builds. At least in some cases the radio file is different, and the language support files are different (depending what you select to install).

There is no difference whatsoever between the files in different carriers' releases of Multilanguage. We have proved it by comparison of the install files after unpacking to the same PC, and I also published the method for anyone else to reproduce and verify my findings. If the files are identical then the resulting image on the phone should be identical, and being logical software it should have exactly the same behavior.

However, before you can make any assumptions about observed test results you have to enforce some conditions for comparison.
    1. Absolutely identical installation routine. That means the same Desktop Manager install, same selections for install, and starting from the same prior base. In practical terms the only way a user with one phone can start from a standard condition is to do a full Wipe before installing as a clean OS. It is not possible to do it any other way, because installing one then installing another means they don't start from the same condition and it is impossible to roll back to exactly the same common ancestor condition.

2. Identical test conditions. Same emails, same web pages viewed in the same sequence, same radio conditions, same phone usage... etc. Without test laboratory equipment nothing works in a short test although you might be able to average over long periods (weeks/months) to smooth the short term variations. Even this would not entirely eliminate variations like a tower out of service for a few days so you have been using a secondary cell, or a neighbor buying a new device which messes with the radio environment and pushes you to higher battery drain.
    Don't forget solar flares!
    08-12-09 10:30 AM
    Very unlikely even if you're in the fringe areas of a tower's coverage. Solar flares have more impact on MF and HF reception because the long range transmission paths change in the upper atmosphere.
    08-12-09 12:02 PM
    I've been running the asian version since it was released and have no problems. The pics are slow to load but it's not making my phone not work! It's the fastest it's ever been and you have other options you didn't have before! I have seen the white screen a couple of times when removing it from the case when there is a new msg but sometimes the phones just need to yell at you a lil!!!!!!
    08-12-09 12:31 PM
    I've been running the asian version since it was released and have no problems. The pics are slow to load but it's not making my phone not work! It's the fastest it's ever been and you have other options you didn't have before! I have seen the white screen a couple of times when removing it from the case when there is a new msg but sometimes the phones just need to yell at you a lil!!!!!!
    Now I know that in a perfect world all versions from different carriers are supposed to be exactly the same, and understand that the method that you use to install, along with the volume of information transferred can affect the result.

But 63.8 MB right after installation is amazing (5MB better than EA after full wipe), and with 8 apps that I use consistently the numbers stay at 50 or above.
    Also the clarity for music is off the charts compared to East Asian ...crystal clear reception, and the slight problem with videos that I had uploading has been nearly eliminated entirely.
    08-12-09 12:52 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD