I have to say that Truphone is the best app I've found yet for calling internationally. The quality and price are perfect, however two things to keep in mind: Mobile numbers in many countries will cost you more (except in US, Canada, etc.), so make sure you call landlines where possible and they are still in the testing phases for OS5, so I'm currently switching between my old 8830 and 9700 for calling abroad.
    I'm inclined to try this app....currently I'm using one of those access number system where I have to enter the international number again, which is cumbersome sometimes.

You say its still in testing phase for OS5, does this mean that it doesn't currently work on 9700? Thanks for bringing this app to my attention...didn't know something like this even existed.
    12-03-09 07:06 AM
    Only thing I can't be 100% on is roaming abroad as I have not tried it.
    I tried it last week from France calling back into the UK (I'm with Orange UK, PAYG). I just used the hotel wifi, disabled the "Mobile network" (as it may suddenly switch to the Orange Fr) and it connected to Orange UK (you may need to do it manually if it takes too long to connect or just set the preferred network). I called back with 20p/hour (with the magic numbers).

You still get charged the standard local (UK) call rate but it's much cheaper than the roaming charges.

Since most public hotspots require some form of log in, you need to use the browser for this before being able to connect to the network via UMA (or use the "Logon to the network" button from the "Setup wifi" screen.
    12-03-09 08:04 AM
    Thats really good to know that the roaming is working fine from abroad, that will save me paying high charges whilst abroad later in the year.

@spasypaddy I'm sorry but that wont help the user, I'm guessing orange are holding back releasing the 9700 because the uma does not switch under 3g, only under 2g, I'm lucky that where I work the phone 90% of the time drops to a 2g signal when i go into the office and thus transfers over to UMA effortlessly. At home where i have good 3g it wont change over without manual intervention. Waiting till orange approve a version and release it wont help S20JAD as all it will mean is the 2g3g bug orange are waiting on a fix for is done and it works with UMA correctly, his phone will still be generic and will still install the generic flash and no UMA settings. only solution that I know of for him is to Flash the phone with orange image files making it orange branded & I would really really avoid this its not a home diy job, or put the settings in manually. I've managed to get two generic ones working on orange uma now but it only lasts until you do a firmware upgrade then you have to do it all again as it looses the setup.

@S20Jad I will try and do a how to guide later but I'm up to my neck in work at the moment, if I dont get it done quick enough for you drop me a pm with your moby number and Ill give you a bell and talk you through it, you will need access to the escreen and if you dont have that it will be something else for you to learn so quicker to do it over phone.

Regards

Kev
    12-03-09 09:29 AM
    I tried it last week from France calling back into the UK (I'm with Orange UK, PAYG). I just used the hotel wifi, disabled the "Mobile network" (as it may suddenly switch to the Orange Fr) and it connected to Orange UK (you may need to do it manually if it takes too long to connect or just set the preferred network). I called back with 20p/hour (with the magic numbers).

You still get charged the standard local (UK) call rate but it's much cheaper than the roaming charges.

Since most public hotspots require some form of log in, you need to use the browser for this before being able to connect to the network via UMA (or use the "Logon to the network" button from the "Setup wifi" screen.
    is that the same price you get charged in the uk? will it come out my minutes if im abroad and use it?
    12-03-09 10:03 AM
    Thats really good to know that the roaming is working fine from abroad, that will save me paying high charges whilst abroad later in the year.

@spasypaddy I'm sorry but that wont help the user, I'm guessing orange are holding back releasing the 9700 because the uma does not switch under 3g, only under 2g, I'm lucky that where I work the phone 90% of the time drops to a 2g signal when i go into the office and thus transfers over to UMA effortlessly. At home where i have good 3g it wont change over without manual intervention. Waiting till orange approve a version and release it wont help S20JAD as all it will mean is the 2g3g bug orange are waiting on a fix for is done and it works with UMA correctly, his phone will still be generic and will still install the generic flash and no UMA settings. only solution that I know of for him is to Flash the phone with orange image files making it orange branded & I would really really avoid this its not a home diy job, or put the settings in manually. I've managed to get two generic ones working on orange uma now but it only lasts until you do a firmware upgrade then you have to do it all again as it looses the setup.
    Regards

Kev
    if you've got good 3g coverage why bother changing to WIFI. Its just not worth it. nice yes but really not necessary IMO.
    12-03-09 10:04 AM
    is that the same price you get charged in the uk? will it come out my minutes if im abroad and use it?
    If your abroad and you connect via UMA, and disconnect your radio (so there is no doubt your on UMA) then the phone will treat EVERYTHING as if you are in the UK. Calls in & out and sms in and out will all be charged as per your plan rates and out of your bundles exactly the same.

Kev
    12-03-09 10:08 AM
    If your abroad and you connect via UMA, and disconnect your radio (so there is no doubt your on UMA) then the phone will treat EVERYTHING as if you are in the UK. Calls in & out and sms in and out will all be charged as per your plan rates and out of your bundles exactly the same.

Kev
    thats what i thought, i just thought that the guy being charged 20p per min seemed quite steep!

and can it not work out where you are by IP address?
    12-03-09 10:11 AM
    Have sorted getting to the engineering screen, had a good look thru doesn't seem obvious. As the supplier has agreed to take the phone back, im happy to give it a go and if it doesn't work they can have it back and i'll wait for Orange branded one to be released. No 2g or 3g signal where i live so without UMA = No phone!
    12-03-09 10:58 AM
    hmm... actually if you go abroad in Europe UMA mostlikely wont work since as I checked there is 1 or 2 countries where its already available.
    12-03-09 12:22 PM
    @Tinyk,
    Please could you post the list of instructions, for the UMA setup, getting desperate now. Got engineering screen etc and done the Core CPU speed upgrade, but UMA is a must for me as no signal at home.

Cheers

Lee
    12-04-09 05:17 PM
    Really sorry bud I have been away all weekend with no signal Ill do it right now and post it up in 10.

Tiny
    12-06-09 07:01 AM
    Ok here is the how to, first off you need to get into the engineering screen, thats covered elsewhere on the forums so i wont get into that and I know you have got this done already but wanted to cover it for the others that may attempt this.

Now I've done this twice on two phones now and its worked fine but I take no responsibility for it what sover, any changes in the engineering screen are down to you, some stuff can screw your phone so dont go messing with anything you dont understand.

1/ Get to the engineering main screen
    2/ click mobile network enginnering screens
    3/ click Utilities
    4/ Click Session Manager
    5/ hit blackberry key and select UMA Options
    6/ Hit Blackberry key and New
    7/ Display name = Factory Provisions
    8/ Operator name = Orange
    9/ UMA Protocol = UMA V 1.0.3 (this is defaulty any way)
    10/ Take tick out of use default UNC address
    11/ Enter UNC address 'unc.singlephone.orange.co.uk'
    12/ Provisioning UNC port '14001' think that's default anyway
    13/ Take tick out of box for use default provisioning SEGW Address
    14/ Enter SEGW address 'singlephone.orange.co.uk'
    15/ SEGW certificate select 'Equifax Secure Certificate Authority'
    16/ Hit blackberry key and select save
    17/ come out of engineering screen and go to options Mobile Network, here you should have a new item 'Connection Preference' select either Wifi preferred or mobile network prefered, save changes and come back to home screen do a battery pull.

You then you should have UMA connection. It is still buggy as **** though and connects when it wants to, you may also have to leave it connected to wifi for a while before it connects but after the first time its easier.

Edit, Every time you put on a new firmware you loose any changes made in engineering screen and will have to do this again.
    mnemon and mswehli like this.
    12-06-09 07:16 AM
    Just for your info I have just upgraded my 9700 firmware to v405 in the beta release forum and confirm not only did UMA work on this release they seem to have fixed the uma problem with 3g, it now seems to work faultlessly. I'm guessing thats why orange released the 9700 officially now
    12-06-09 09:34 AM
    Thanks for the info, just a quick one though, did the 405 FW give UMA without having to use the workaround ?

Cheers
    Lee
    12-06-09 01:29 PM
    No as i've said before does not matter what version of firmware you use it will never install the settings.

When you install the firmware the loader looks for the phone branding if it finds its a Orange branded device it installs the correct settings and bits for orange and the required uma gets installed. Because we are both using Generic (sim free) versions it has no branding and thus settings dont get installed. The only problems doing it this way are 1/ you have to put them in every time you upgrade firmware 2/ if the engineering screen log in generator page I use go's down I cant get the login for the engineering screen and thus I cant enter the settings.

If anyone knows of a downloadable copy of the generator it would be apreciated, and certainly stop me panicing about not being able to get the settings installed. I always check the generator page is online before doing the firmware upgrade I would hate to be unable to install it.

Hope that helps
    12-06-09 01:37 PM

Kev
    Not True as the phone knows you are out of the country due to the HLR registration process.

In this scenario you will be charged the roaming rate and NOT the plan rates.

Believe me, I know!

Cheers

BMF
    12-06-09 02:57 PM
    Sorry to join this thread late, but I am new to the idea of UMA. I currently have a Bold 9000 on T-mobile, but my contract is ending very soon and I am considering switching to Orange with a new 9700, IF I can access UMA calls via wifi without too much trouble. At my place of work I have no phone reception but I do get a good (and free) wifi connection (not via Orange or any of the mobile networks as far as I know). I am looking at the Panther monthly tariff with Blackberry internet and email. Would I have UMA access with this package via my work wifi connection even if it not an Orange wifi connection? Do I need to add/pay for Orange broadband too in order to have the UMA service? I would rather stick with my current home ISP (AOL) at present which I share with my family. Sorry for my ignorance. I can't seem to get a straight answer via the Orange reps. Thanks. A
    12-10-09 03:18 PM
    I'm sorry to say some of the reps don't know anything about UMA so they really can't give you the information.

You will get Uma without having anything added and it works over any wifi it does not need to be an orange broadband connection so your fine there.

The only problem you can get is occasionally a router will need extra messing to get it to work I've not had any problem with any systems or wifi access points but that's not to say you won't.

Hope that helps as much as I can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-09 03:23 PM
    hmm... actually if you go abroad in Europe UMA mostlikely wont work since as I checked there is 1 or 2 countries where its already available.
    I have been using UMA (TMO US) internationally for years, from the UK and the Netherlands to India, Beijing and the Philippines, using Nokia phones. In Beijing I went and bought a $28 WiFi 802.11n router down the street, plugged that into my hotel room internet, and it worked.
    12-10-09 03:59 PM
    Activated.. thanks very much for the info Tinyk!!!
    12-10-09 05:53 PM
    I'm sorry to say some of the reps don't know anything about UMA so they really can't give you the information.

You will get Uma without having anything added and it works over any wifi it does not need to be an orange broadband connection so your fine there.

The only problem you can get is occasionally a router will need extra messing to get it to work I've not had any problem with any systems or wifi access points but that's not to say you won't.

Hope that helps as much as I can.

Thanks Tinyk. I wonder if I can assume that if I have UMA with a wifi connection that I can make calls through UMA? And if so, why does the Orange website or do the reps not have much info on UMA.

A
    12-11-09 05:59 AM
    UMA in the display means the same as GPRS or 3G in the display, the phone has a connection to the network, you can still get call failed and even sms failed to send just as you can with the normal connection.

The information is not there because Orange launched it probably a couple years ago now and it never really took off, they only had a couple handsets that were compatible and they were not anything really desirable, since then its never been pushed on Orange until now. I think they have really just stumbled along not pushing the potential because of the lack of handsets compatible and its like someone at orange suddenly realised that the recent BB's worked with the service and that some people might actually use it.

I'm guessing the lack of knowledge in the reps is because the service was launched a while back, they normally get mailed out details and training on new services as they probably did then, but it was launched as orange Unique, nothing really mentioned about UMA which is the transfer protocol. As most things new orange reps probably get training on common current products being old and very unused it probably gets missed from the training manuals and those that do know are either more senior staff (longer serving) or just curious, been requested from them before.

**** i dont know i'm just making a best guess but I reckon they have got on the wagon now and over the next 6 months it will be pushed out more.
    12-11-09 12:26 PM
    Thanks again Tinyk. I seem to understand the situation better now. It just seemed odd that such a useful tool was not being hyped by Orange or catching on in the mobile phone community. I also (by pure luck) just spoke to a very helpful Orange rep who uses and calls via UMA on his blackberry! I think I will make the switch to Orange when my T-mobile contract ends soon. Your responses are greatly appreciated. Arnie
    12-11-09 02:06 PM
    Sorry to jump on this late, but I have a question! My old Curve used to show 'uma' rather the signal bar when connected to wifi, but my 9700 doesn't. Is this a settings issue, or......?
    12-11-09 02:52 PM
    Can't really be sure without more details, is it an orange branded phone? It should say uma on the screen for sure if the service was working.

If it's from another network or generik it will very lightly be down to settings, if it's orange branded then I would guess it's probably down to a setting on your router or something to do with the broadband. If you go into options mobile network do you have a connection prefrence tab and if you do is it set to wifi preferred?

12-11-09 03:20 PM
124 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD