hi guys

i'm going on a road trip from london to cadiz in august, and i know using the internet on my bold may be expensive when in mainland europe so i don't really want to use it, but i DO want to use gps with google maps. does anyone know how many mb google maps would use if i was using it for say 30 minutes per day? is there any way i can use the gps without needing to connect to the internet?

i read on here a month or so ago that orange do 10mb for 11 quid but i've not spoken to them about it. has anyone used it? would 10mb last me for a month of google maps only?

this forum has been a wealth of information for me since i got my bold in may, but i may have missed someone writing about this recently.

cheers

dan
    07-14-09 10:44 AM
    The do a 10mb 30 travel europe bundle which would last you 30 days easy for e-mail but not for maps. I reckon and this is just a guess, 30-60 minutes of google maps would eat the 10 mb

I've used the bundle a lot for traveling in europe, even for two weeks in spain and only once have i gone over the 10mb and thats the time i got the wrong train and wanted to check where i was heading, ran google maps for 20 minutes and went outside the bundle.

For what it will cost you in data charges you would probably be better off getting a cheap Europe GPS device, I've not seen any software for the bb that does not live download.

Sorry its not what you wanted to hear but may save you a **** of a bill.
    07-14-09 01:59 PM
    that's really helpful tinyk, i'll get the old dear to read the map like the did in the olden days
    07-15-09 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD