I used to have a curve 8320 and a pearl 8100, which needed 12 MB file free to run properly, both OS 4. Now that I have OS 5, what's the minimum memory I should have? I have anywhere from 99 to 89 now depending on the time since my last battery pull.

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 07:21 PM
    App memory and RAM are two different things. You are fine where you are.

06-29-10 07:27 PM
    I believe you still need a minimum of 12mb, so as Shansmi said, you're fine.

06-29-10 08:38 PM
    App memory and RAM are two different things. You are fine where you are.

OnBoard app memory; 256 MB
    Ram: ??????
    Option>>Memory>>Free Space : shows me available app memory space.
    &
    How do I measure or get Ram info.

06-30-10 03:24 AM
    Thanks for the replies. And I am aware shared and RAM are different, but blackberries don't have dedicated RAM, hence "shared memory".

To answer the last guy's question, the File Free is your RAM, whatever you don't use for applications gets used as RAM. That's why if you install too many applications, your phone will get really slow, because there isn't enough "RAM".

06-30-10 04:33 PM
    Another little snippet, GSMArena says the Bold's got 256 MB internal and 256 MB RAM. This can't be right because the File Free (internal memory) fluctuates throughout the day, just like they did on the old Blackberries that only had shared memory. If the new ones like the Bold 9700 had RAM and internal, the File Free would only changed if you added or removed apps, added or removed messages and emails, etc etc.

06-30-10 06:48 PM
    Another little snippet, GSMArena says the Bold's got 256 MB internal and 256 MB RAM. This can't be right because the File Free (internal memory) fluctuates throughout the day, just like they did on the old Blackberries that only had shared memory. If the new ones like the Bold 9700 had RAM and internal, the File Free would only changed if you added or removed apps, added or removed messages and emails, etc etc.

i think internal memory means internal storage memory, just like your sd card.
    06-30-10 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD