Am I the only one who can't stand our current trackballs? I hate having the press on it.. I try to avoid it whenever possible. Wether it's double clicking the menu button or using the enter button.

I rather press menu + enter then using my trackball.

I can't wait for it to go optical a la 8520...

/rant
    05-08-09 03:04 PM
    I love the convinience of the click. But I don't like the fact that it gets dirty.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 03:06 PM
    Optical won't necessary be better by default...
    05-08-09 03:08 PM
    I would love the addition of touch screen + stylus for the Bold. The Treo lines have them all, touchscreen + stylus, 5-way navigator, and full keyboard, but treos don't have a lot of other things (the reason I switched to bold). Maybe Bold 9900 will finally have all of them?
    05-08-09 03:35 PM
    I hope it stops the freezing of the ball. My pearl ball froze and that was the end of the phone, couldn't be fixed. My wife's Curveball freezes and drives her nuts. I can get it to stop but if that mechanical thing could be done away with that would be a good thing. Styluses are old school. No way Jose.
    05-08-09 03:35 PM
    My Pearl ball froze from time to time, but it always just needed cleaning. Cleaning the trackball on the Pearl wasn't too hard, so it didn't bother me that much. I'm really not looking forward to having to clean the trackball on my Bold, though. I'm not sure exactly how you get it out, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like it.
    05-08-09 03:39 PM
    Seriously, it's not that hard to clean. :shaking:
    05-08-09 03:49 PM
    Well if you can get your hands on the replacement balls, it's not that difficult to replace either. But take your time when doing it though.
    05-08-09 04:00 PM
    I was more referring to the fact that the bezel on the Pearl and 8300 can be pried up from the front without disassembling the phone and voiding your warranty.
    05-08-09 04:03 PM
    Will you prefer pressing the optical lens over pressing the trackball in?
    05-08-09 04:36 PM
    I quite like the trackball on my bold, Ive had it for 9 months now with no problems! The Bold is my first blackberry and hopefully it wont be my last. Looking forward to see what comes out next year when my contract expires.
    05-08-09 04:52 PM
    The trackball is great on my Bold, I love it.

05-08-09 06:44 PM
    I'm jealous of the optical trackball. I want it on my bold.
    05-08-09 07:23 PM
    The optical trackball isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have an 8520 (Gemini) test unit from RIM that I have been playing around with for a few hours. Scrolling vertically with the optical trackball sometimes takes 2-3 swipes.

In short, the response from a traditional curve trackball is much more precise.
    06-18-09 12:11 PM
    I like the trackball. However, I have started to worry about over-clicking it over my anticipated lifetime of the handset. Started to try the menu button and enter first now.

I had an optical trackpad on my preceding phone to the Bold, being an Omnia. It was OK, but i do prefer the hands-on feel of an actual ball.
    06-18-09 12:19 PM
    The optical trackball isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have an 8520 (Gemini) test unit from RIM that I have been playing around with for a few hours. Scrolling vertically with the optical trackball sometimes takes 2-3 swipes.

In short, the response from a traditional curve trackball is much more precise.

But the bugs you are experiencing with the optical trackball might just be because you have a "test" unit. It might be improved by the time they roll out the devices down the road.
    06-18-09 12:19 PM
    But the bugs you are experiencing with the optical trackball might just be because you have a "test" unit. It might be improved by the time they roll out the devices down the road.
    Yep, updated software could help (look what it did for the storm). Hardware isn't going to change at this point.
    06-18-09 01:58 PM
    I have only had my Bold for a little over a month, but like the trackball so far.
    06-18-09 04:38 PM
    Hmm, Bold with a trackpad. Who said there isn't one in the future?
    06-18-09 04:44 PM
    I don't like the sound of an optical trackpad. My laptop has one and I can't stand using the thing. First thing I got was a mouse so I could have tactile feedback as I worked.

I just don't like them.

06-18-09 05:08 PM
    I haven't had any trouble with my bolds trackball on any of my bolds and I have had quite a few. On my all black bold I have the G1's trackball and I wouldn't say its better. Its just a different feel so if you don't like the Bolds default then change the trackball and see if that helps you out.

06-18-09 05:12 PM
    I love my bold trackball, especially since I switched to the G1 ball, but I would love to take Optical for a spin.
    06-18-09 05:23 PM
    I put in the black G1 trackball mainly because I thought it looks better but I found it works a lot better. The G1 black is kind of a textured/rubber? material so it scrolls better and smoother. Seems like the OEM ones are more of a hard smooth surface where dirt, hair, and any moisture seem to mess up scrolling. And barljo, since I've replaced the keyboard and trackball and seen the insides, i wouldn't worry about overclicking. Seems like you can just replace the trackball or keyboard if it breaks.
    06-18-09 06:30 PM
    I think the best bet would be to have a small trackpad like on laptops that you could sweet your finger across.
    06-18-09 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD