HUH? All Verizon Blackberries have been 3G for years, including the Storm.

Also, the Bold doesn't beat the Tour in everything. They both have their pluses and minuses. The Tour has a higher res screen, better camera, and more internal memory. The Bold has a larger screen and a faster processor.
    Higher res screen which adds a black border around the screen for no reason... and for some reason people still prefer the Bold's screen due to pixel density??

The Tour definitely has it beat in the app memory and camera department though... while the Bold has it beat in processor speed and power and WiFi.
    07-31-09 12:06 AM
    higher model number does not mean better specs.

you will have to unlock the phone to use it on GSM networks overseas.
    but to do this you can always call Sprint and ask for the unlock code. at least the other 3 carriers comply.
    07-31-09 12:58 AM
    is the onyx going to use simcards?
    07-31-09 01:15 AM
    is the onyx going to use simcards?
    Its GSM so yeah
    07-31-09 01:24 AM
    I am kinda wondering the same thing. I am a Verizon customer thinking about buying the Tour....but I would like WiFi. So is this rumored Onyx going to be coming to Verizon, and if so, does anyone have an idea of when it will hit?
    07-31-09 09:10 AM
    If you compare the stats for the Tour to your Bold your Bold will already beat it in everything.
    ummmm????

ram/memory

camera?

how bout screen resloution

everything huh?

the bold has wifi and that is pretty much the only thing it got over the tour.
    07-31-09 09:27 AM
    Higher res screen which adds a black border around the screen for no reason... and for some reason people still prefer the Bold's screen due to pixel density??

The Tour definitely has it beat in the app memory and camera department though... while the Bold has it beat in processor speed and power and WiFi.
    pixel density?? screens are pretty much the same except tour is smaller and has a higher screen res, but u really cant tell the diff anyway....by the way I had the bold intially when it came out but switched to verizon because of the dropped calls and now have the tour.

there is a reason why there is a black border on the tour and that is to keep the 480 by 360 resolution. The tour is bigger than the 8900 but has the same resloution so they add this black border to keep same screen size and resloution.

the bold has wifi, and a slightly faster processor (555mhz to 624 i believe), which to me are not really important things to me(never used wifi and if anything the tour seems quicker and snappier probably due to the memory). On paper that wifi and processor speed seem cool, but in everyday practicality thier is no difference to me. But there is when it comes to memory, which i think is the single most significant spec. With my previous phones 8830, bold and especially on the storm, there was a noticable difference in performance with alot of apps downloaded and and good number running on my phone, but with the tour i have a bunch of apps downloaded and running and really have no noticable diff in speed. With that and the better camera i would say to me the tour is a little better than the bold but not by much, even though they both are great phones.
    Last edited by holladay42; 07-31-09 at 10:06 AM.
    07-31-09 09:46 AM
    pixel density?? screens are pretty much the same except tour is smaller and has a higher screen res, but u really cant tell the diff anyway....by the way I had the bold intially when it came out but switched to verizon because of the dropped calls and now have the tour.

there is a reason why there is a black border on the tour and that is to keep the 480 by 360 resolution. The tour is bigger than the 8900 but has the same resloution so they add this black border to keep same screen size and resloution.

the bold has wifi, and a slightly faster processor (555mhz to 624 i believe), which to me are not really important things to me(never used wifi and if anything the tour seems quicker and snappier probably due to the memory). On paper that wifi and processor speed seem cool, but in everyday practicality thier is no difference to me. But there is when it comes to memory, which i think is the single most significant spec. With my previous phones 8830, bold and especially on the storm, there was a noticable difference in performance with alot of apps downloaded and and good number running on my phone, but with the tour i have a bunch of apps downloaded and running and really have no noticable diff in speed. With that and the better camera i would say to me the tour is a little better than the bold but not by much, even though they both are great phones.
    Tour is a 524 mhz qualcomm processor. And it has the same 2.4" screen size as the curve 8900. The Bold is the "physically" larger screen.

As for you saying that the processor speed isn't much of an improvement, I beg to differ. The Bold is the fastest and most powerful Blackberry. There is more lag on the Storm, Curve 8900 and Tour as opposed to the Bold. The only drawbacks of the Bold is the ram memory and Camera. The only positive the Tour has over Bold is not that the memory makes it faster, is that you have to reset or do battery pulls on the Bold when memory gets too low.

You only think it's faster in terms of browsing is because the Tour runs os 4.7 etc...

The Tour isn't in the Bold's catergory, it's in the Curve 8900's. Either you take the Tour which is 3G or the Curve 8900 which has wifi. Otherwise they are identical in terms of everything else internally except form factor.

The camera on the Bold is a gripe only when you zoom or look at pics from your computer. I have uploaded pics taken from the Bold and the Curve 8900... Very miniscule difference when viewed normally. Until you zoom in and see the clarity that 3.2 adds over the 2.0 Bold. But the 3.2 is still pretty poor.

But why argue. We should all be happy with our own phones. I plan to wait till the Magnum/Pluto is out to see if I should get rid of my Bold.
    07-31-09 07:07 PM
    and just look at the 9000 and 8900...

8900 all the way
    nice subjective conclusion
    Last edited by gbsn; 07-31-09 at 07:24 PM.
    07-31-09 07:20 PM
    How many phones do you own???
    08-01-09 12:33 PM
    Just look @ the storm, high number, high crap
    08-01-09 12:34 PM
    lol i love your signature

"IT'S FUNNY, I ALWAYS DOUBLE PRESS MY COMPUTER'S KEYBOARD THINKING I'LL GET A PERIOD"
    08-01-09 05:07 PM
    You should buy one with Wi-Fi it gets things better sometimes. No extracharges when you travel.
    08-02-09 08:38 AM
    Just look @ the storm, high number, high crap
    I agree with this, after 2 months trying to get use to the keyboard I finally got back to the 9000.
    08-02-09 08:40 AM
    I have a Tour, and it is awesome. Being verizon, they wont sell a phone with Wifi capabilities.
    Hmmmmmm..... Interesting...... So, Verizon must be lying when they list WiFi as a feature on several of their WinMo devices then. Apparently they don't sell the HTC Ozone, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Diamond, or any of those devices that they have listed on their website.....
    08-02-09 08:54 AM
    either way, if you are not on any CDMA provider, tour is just out of the window...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 09:47 AM
    there is already proof that higher model number does not mean a superior device. Just look at the Bold/Tour.
    08-02-09 06:12 PM
    I guess that someone at rim read your thread lol 9700 now!
    08-02-09 07:17 PM
    Hi Guys

I got a very good offer from Sprint for the Blackberry Tour (9630). The only thing I do not like in Tour is that it does not have wifi .

Since the Tour is 9630 and Onyx is 9020, do you think guys the higher model number means the better specs ?

Does anyone know if the Tour needs to unlocked to work overseas?

Thanks
    Funny you say this, the Onyx is now named 9700. So yeah, I am assuming that extra 370 it has over the Tour is the wifi part.

Im not sure about specs overall, but I know it does a few things better than the tour, such as a camera.

And yeah, both phones can be unlocked to be used overseas. As in, they both have a sim card slot.
    08-02-09 09:04 PM
    I think the general conclusion to the OPs original post would be "No, higher number doesn't necessarily denote a better device"
    08-02-09 09:18 PM
    Higher number just denotes newer model...The Onyx should be better than the tour based on having WiFi. I wouldn't sweat having WiFi if I had an unlimited data plan like some people I know, but I definitely have to pay for Data
    08-02-09 09:35 PM
    Tour is a 524 mhz qualcomm processor. And it has the same 2.4" screen size as the curve 8900. The Bold is the "physically" larger screen.

As for you saying that the processor speed isn't much of an improvement, I beg to differ. The Bold is the fastest and most powerful Blackberry. There is more lag on the Storm, Curve 8900 and Tour as opposed to the Bold. The only drawbacks of the Bold is the ram memory and Camera. The only positive the Tour has over Bold is not that the memory makes it faster, is that you have to reset or do battery pulls on the Bold when memory gets too low.

You only think it's faster in terms of browsing is because the Tour runs os 4.7 etc...

The Tour isn't in the Bold's catergory, it's in the Curve 8900's. Either you take the Tour which is 3G or the Curve 8900 which has wifi. Otherwise they are identical in terms of everything else internally except form factor.

The camera on the Bold is a gripe only when you zoom or look at pics from your computer. I have uploaded pics taken from the Bold and the Curve 8900... Very miniscule difference when viewed normally. Until you zoom in and see the clarity that 3.2 adds over the 2.0 Bold. But the 3.2 is still pretty poor.

But why argue. We should all be happy with our own phones. I plan to wait till the Magnum/Pluto is out to see if I should get rid of my Bold.
    Careful with the 'get rid of' comment haha...that phone is/will still be in high demand...can you say ebay? haha
    08-02-09 09:37 PM
    Does anyone have any idea on how to delete an archived application? I just installed an application on my tour. I deleted it but the shortcut is still in my download files and it says its archived. Its driving me crazy!
    08-02-09 09:40 PM
    The Tour is the Storm internals with a qwerty keyboard and none touch screen. It is not in the same class as the Bold when it comes to processing power and speed.
    Yes it has more application storage space and a "better" camera if crappy cellphone cameras are your cup of tea
    The tour is best compared to the Curve 8900 when it comes to processing power.(8900)512 Mhz V (Tour) 524
    And somebody needs to teach a class on the nonexistant connection between application memory and device speed
    Its like gas in your car...... You either have gas or ya don't and the size of your gas tank does not affect the how fast your car is

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 10:07 PM
    Does anyone have any idea on how to delete an archived application? I just installed an application on my tour. I deleted it but the shortcut is still in my download files and it says its archived. Its driving me crazy!
    I do believe that you have hijacked this post dude. Perhaps you should post your question in a different part of the forum as this is a discussion on the tour vs the onyx.

I'm sure there's an app to clean up your phone, but I really can't say for sure.
    08-02-09 10:50 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD