It should cost as much as palm pre or an iPhone on a 3 year.
    What I'm indicating is RIM is turning a big profit per-phone, whereas Apple is still making profit but lesser amounts to sell the phone and show that it's power is truly unrivaled.

It wouldn't gouge anything, it would just have RIM turn less of a profit and make consumers much more happier.
    09-22-09 12:36 PM
    This review/article sheds a lot of light on the device. Hope this helps.

BlackBerry 9700 Review: Part 1 : Boy Genius Report
    09-22-09 07:25 PM
    What are you talkign about? This makes no sense whatsoever!
    Phone processors are completely different from AND independent of the phone carrier! Those are radios that have firmware/programming.

Phone processors are UNAFFECTED BY CARRIER CHOICE. GSM OR CDMA DOES NOT DICTATE WHAT PROCESSOR A PHONE CAN HAVE! I MUST STRESS THIS!
    A GOOD EXAMPLE IS THE PALM PRE WHICH HAS THE CORTEX A8 VS THE IPHONE WHICH ALSO HAS THE CORTEX A8. THE PRE IS CDMA ONLY IN CANADA, AND THE IPHONE IS GSM!
    The only problem in your argument is that the Tavor (the processor used in the Bold) has an integrated baseband. The Cortex A8 is an applications processor.

Compare this diagram of the iPhone 3GS with that of the Bold, and the Pre. Note that the Pre and iPhone have the different application processors and different baseband processors. The Bold combines those two functions into one chip. This chip, the Tavor does not support CDMA as far as I know.
    Last edited by aeldes1; 09-23-09 at 04:52 PM. Reason: small error fixed
    09-23-09 04:51 PM
    baseband support does not affect performance.

They are still the same processor, regardless of Qualcomm or Marvell.

The processor may be a SoC with a baseband or may support one baseband protocol but that is independent of the processor architecture/performance.

They all adhere to a certain criteria which they paid for, from ARM. I could see the CPU being "specialized" for a certain instruction set, in this case CDMA or GSM, for packet transfer but that isn't going to affect running the identical applications on a GSM-based versus the equivalent CDMA-based phone assuming what you're showing me is accurate.

I personally believe that those diagrams are a bit simplified as it would be impractical to do have a CPU married to a phone protocol. Look at the Storm, it's a CDMA or GSM phone but it's on Telus...

You are wrong on the Pre. it uses a Cortex A8 architecture:
    Texas Instruments OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I was right. They're "coprocessor" packages when the case shows 2 phones with 2 different "processors" which are due to different protocols (gsm/cdma).... The difference you're thinking about is because of the "coprocessor" Or the digital signal processor that's used in junction with the applications processor.
    09-24-09 06:24 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD