So a little birdy told me that the BlackBerry 9700 aka "Onyx" is to have the

Marvell (formerly Intel) XScale PXA310 CPU @ 804Mhz

The original bold carries an Intel XScale PXA270 CPU @ 624Mhz.

I have attached an overview sheet of the PXA310 in PDF format for anyone interested to look at.

Now remember; the President of RIM didn't tell me this, so I'm just going on what I heard....but I had already been hearing rumors about an 800+ Mhz CPU in the Onyx.

BATTERY LIFE:

I was also told the battery life for the Onyx is:

Standby Time: 14.5 Days/348 Hours
    Talk Time: ~5 Hours
    Last edited by ShyteMayne; 09-17-09 at 12:04 PM.
    09-17-09 11:59 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but you claim the PXA310 @ 804MHz, but the PDF sheet you posted only claims performance up to 624MHz.
    09-17-09 12:10 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but you claim the PXA310 @ 804MHz, but the PDF sheet you posted only claims performance up to 624MHz.
    Oh sh*t you're right, must be a typo. You can check out the CPU's page on Marvell's website by going to:

Marvell: Marvell PXA3xx Application Processor Family

It has to be a typo, because the PXA310 is an 804Mhz CPU, as it says on the site as well.

My bad.
    09-17-09 12:17 PM
    Marvell's webpage says the PXA310 and PXA320 are both capable of 806mhz.

But even if it were a PXA310 at 624mhz, that would be an improvement.
    09-17-09 12:21 PM
    Oh sh*t you're right, must be a typo. You can check out the CPU's page on Marvell's website by going to:

Marvell: Marvell PXA3xx Application Processor Family

It has to be a typo, because the PXA310 is an 804Mhz CPU, as it says on the site as well.

My bad.
    No worries, I just skimmed the PDF anyway, but that stuck out to me. There is definitely an error in documentation, either online or on the sheet. (or both?)
    09-17-09 12:44 PM
    The Onyx is a beast.
    09-17-09 12:46 PM
    uh guys.. the chip clearly states that for mobile applications that it's usually going to be 624mhz. Sure it's capable of 800mhz but that increases power consumption and heat output.

Maybe embedded CPU's are capable of a range of speeds, but usually are clocked to the needs of the platform and power consumption. Expect the CPU to be 624.
    09-17-09 02:00 PM
    New processor and same speed means more efficient and probably better battery life.
    09-17-09 02:15 PM
    New processor and same speed means more efficient and probably better battery life.
    You are exactly right.
    09-17-09 02:20 PM
    New Onyx 9700 means I'm gonna have a new phone.
    09-17-09 03:01 PM
    Is this supposed to be the AT&T version? From what I have understood (here), the AT&T and Tmo versions will have different processors, right?
    09-17-09 04:31 PM
    Is this supposed to be the AT&T version? From what I have understood (here), the AT&T and Tmo versions will have different processors, right?
    I believe you are correct; I'm not sure exactly which model this will be for but it should be good either way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 02:05 AM
    I'm really hoping that they don't destroy us Tmobile users' hopes and dreams by sticking us with the same processor as the 8900!!!

09-18-09 02:24 AM
    I'm really hoping that they don't destroy us Tmobile users' hopes and dreams by sticking us with the same processor as the 8900!!!

Who knows.

For all we know, that cpu information could be months old and it could have changed and all versions end up with the 720 @ 624Mhz. haha. I hope not though.
    09-18-09 04:20 AM
    If Onyx's cpu is capable of 806mHz but running at 624nHz(supposedly) what actual speed is the Bold's 624mHz cpu running at?

09-18-09 05:57 AM
    624mhz.

The t-mobile and att versions will have the same processor. Different radio frequencies, but that's it.
    09-18-09 06:38 AM
    624mhz.

The t-mobile and att versions will have the same processor. Different radio frequencies, but that's it.
    And what makes you think they have the same processor?

09-18-09 08:36 AM
    And what makes you think they have the same processor?

And what hard facts make you think they don't have the same processor?

Do you think RIM would design, test and manufacture two different sets of hardware for oen phone platform? Which would also technically require two separate OS branches? Seems like a lot of work for nothing..

They most likely have the same processor, it's most likely clocked at 624mhz for mobile applications to reduce heat and power consumption.
    09-18-09 10:07 AM
    And what hard facts make you think they don't have the same processor?

Do you think RIM would design, test and manufacture two different sets of hardware for oen phone platform? Which would also technically require two separate OS branches? Seems like a lot of work for nothing..

They most likely have the same processor, it's most likely clocked at 624mhz for mobile applications to reduce heat and power consumption.
    They could actually very well have different processors. I think CX knows his stuff.

And they could be clocked higher than 624Mhz, as history and technology shows as times goes by technology companies tend to develop ways to make products faster while at the same time reducing heat and battery consumption.
    09-18-09 10:40 AM
    so now we just need to figure out how to overclock our phones....
    09-18-09 12:26 PM
    Confused... so it is clocked at 804MHz? Can anyone corroborate?
    09-18-09 05:59 PM
    They could actually very well have different processors. I think CX knows his stuff.

And they could be clocked higher than 624Mhz, as history and technology shows as times goes by technology companies tend to develop ways to make products faster while at the same time reducing heat and battery consumption.
    I'd bet money that the processors are the same. The only difference will be the radio.
    09-18-09 06:08 PM

This is true. I've seen it before with the same phone model when the HTC Touch with windows mobile first came out. The GSM model was released with an OMAP processor at 260 mhz and the CDMA version which was released later came with a more powerful Xscale professor at 416 mhz. Pdadb.net has only one entry for the Onyx and they're specs are precise from my experience. RIM BlackBerry Bold 9700 / 9020 Onyx Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications which shows a Marvell PXA930 chip.

I wouldn't recommend overclocking on a blackberry device especially since you already have good memory support and the OS demands aren't that intense. Overclock would be overkill.
    09-18-09 06:14 PM
    lol

I knew I heard this info some place back when ..
    804 mhz , well normally you don't go full board
    with a processor, you want some room for either
    over clocking and or upgrades through software.

even if its 804 mhz , It would probably be better
    it run at 704, either way its good news.

- Onyx will be my next BB , one way or another lol
    my curve is great but - getting all that in the same
    form factor makes it pretty cool , I am going to miss
    a bigger screen though - if the resolution can organize
    it maybe icons and all will be smaller to give more room
    on the screen.

I would encourage RIM to work on the Intuitive nature of the
    OS and continue to innovate , but apps on app world are far
    too expensive and that is why they are not taking off like the
    itunes store, even if the selection is not the same.

Onyx will be a good phone, but I think there is a lesson to be
    learned here. apple made one phone, one design and sold it
    as a life style. RIM has done the same in selling as a life style
    but too many hardware models. I would put more features and
    care into one model making it the hot seller for longer, instead
    of releasing hardware after hardware. Software is the killer app
    here and a form factor that can respond to the demand
    Last edited by vx1; 09-18-09 at 06:18 PM.
    09-18-09 06:15 PM
    btw, i think it is a typo. It should be 624 mhz. Believe me...u won't need more than that on a blackberry even if u're a power user.
    09-18-09 06:22 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD