And Magnum is likely a Q1 2010 device....
    Thanks PG. Have you heard anything about when the Pluto may be released? For me it's between the Onyx and Pluto- I'm very interested in a full touch device and I am sure RIM will improve on this from Storm 1. I see rumors that the Storm 1 (9520) will soon be available for GSM but I would rather have the newer technology screen that has been talked about. Thanks!
    07-12-09 02:21 PM
    I am not sure why so many people dislike trackpad when most of us haven't even got a chance to try it on blackberry. It is a new technology and new trend that might be widely used on all new generations of blackberry. I guess as it is new, it might have so sort of software issues. Incremental OS upgrades should fix the problem.

8900 does look good, but performance wise is not as good as bold, despite that fact that bold's camera is worse and has less ram. I have used them both extensively, so it is a fair statement. I am sure Onyx will be way better than 8900.

Bottom line is we want each new flagship Blackberry to be better than the one it suppose to replace with, right? Trackpad is the way to go, so is Onyx if you can wait.
    Last edited by penpower; 07-12-09 at 03:22 PM.
    07-12-09 03:16 PM
    Thanks PG. Have you heard anything about when the Pluto may be released? For me it's between the Onyx and Pluto- I'm very interested in a full touch device and I am sure RIM will improve on this from Storm 1. I see rumors that the Storm 1 (9520) will soon be available for GSM but I would rather have the newer technology screen that has been talked about. Thanks!
    The only two that we have guidance on coming to the field to test is the Onyx and Gemini. This would indicate to me that Magnum and others are 2010 devices...

I had heard that we had full touchscreen device on the board from BB but that we were scared off initially by the problems VZN had with Storm 1 and we decided to wait and see what improvements are made in Storm 2 before we commit...

PG
    07-12-09 04:05 PM
    The only two that we have guidance on coming to the field to test is the Onyx and Gemini. This would indicate to me that Magnum and others are 2010 devices...

I had heard that we had full touchscreen device on the board from BB but that we were scared off initially by the problems VZN had with Storm 1 and we decided to wait and see what improvements are made in Storm 2 before we commit...

PG
    Thank you! That helps a lot with my decision. I can't wait until you get a hold of an Onyx to test so you can give us your impressions.
    07-12-09 04:14 PM
    i can't wait to try this phone
    08-09-09 06:12 AM
    It's the same size as the 8900, the chrome bezel is dark chrome instead of silverish, keys are in Bold style, CPU is max 624MHz. Display is the same as on the 8900. Works quite well on .124, although there are some issues with WiFi and I had some hickups on A2DP this morning.
    Incorrect, field testers have state the processor is BETTER than the Bold, 800MHz or something to that effect.
    08-09-09 09:41 AM
    def the onyx cuz it has 3g
    08-09-09 01:01 PM
    def the onyx cuz it has 3g
    Please explain. What specifically about "it has 3g" is the dealmaker?
    08-10-09 09:28 AM
    Please explain. What specifically about "it has 3g" is the dealmaker?
    3g = MUCH faster data
    08-10-09 09:30 AM
    if i were you i would wait a few more weeks and see if we have a confirmation of the onyx chipset and feature set then i would make my decision
    Precisely. The only thing keeping me from going to Rogers and upgrading to a Bold from my 8100 is waiting to see if the Onyx processor is actually confirmed better than the bold.
    08-11-09 02:57 PM
    your wrong
    curve=8000's and seperated keys
    bold=9000's 3g, screen, connectivity, and keyboard
    the curve is its own series(8000)
    bold is the 3g series 9000's
    08-11-09 04:33 PM
    And why is that? The only difference it has from the curve is the keyboard and 3G... Otherwise, it's almost the same when it comes to size and features.
    Not even close to being right. The Bold and Onyx also have much better processors than the Curve 8900, which makes a world of difference. Obviously that can not be confirmed, but from what all are saying, it's much more in line with the Bold.

I guess a better statement would have been "The only thing it really has in common with the Curve series is the size, anything else, it lines up with the 9000 and Bold series."
    08-11-09 08:12 PM
    I have a 8320 on TMO but I was itchy for a new device and wanted the Driftwood so bad so I bought a lightly used 8900 till it releases and bc I wanted GPS as well. I can say I do not regret the choice one bit. I just read that if a device has 3G it wont be enabled with UMA so I wont be able to utilize my home wifi network. I also just read about how the area where I go to college is getting 3G later in the year so I could put the onyx to work there but not at home since I doubt the 3G coverage area will reach out here. Tradeoffs, I hate them. 8900 is a great device to hold you over regardless of the wait time though.
    08-11-09 11:22 PM
    Heh, if you were a *true* BB addict you'd get both.
    08-13-09 05:04 PM
    I have a 8320 on TMO but I was itchy for a new device and wanted the Driftwood so bad so I bought a lightly used 8900 till it releases and bc I wanted GPS as well. I can say I do not regret the choice one bit. I just read that if a device has 3G it wont be enabled with UMA so I wont be able to utilize my home wifi network. I also just read about how the area where I go to college is getting 3G later in the year so I could put the onyx to work there but not at home since I doubt the 3G coverage area will reach out here. Tradeoffs, I hate them. 8900 is a great device to hold you over regardless of the wait time though.
    Correction: You would be able to connect to your WiFi network at home, but you probably wouldn't be able to make calls through WiFi.
    08-13-09 05:06 PM
    i am a current owner of an 8900. i love it. the only phone i'd trade it for is the onyx.
    08-13-09 06:52 PM
    the difference in size between the two is minimal. the weight might vary a little bit too.
    08-13-09 06:53 PM
    Correction: You would be able to connect to your WiFi network at home, but you probably wouldn't be able to make calls through WiFi.
    right, shouldve been more specific on that, thanks
    08-13-09 09:50 PM
    Onyx. The sales rep would rather have your money now instead of later, which is why he recommended the 8900 instead of waiting for the Onyx and had his facts wrong. I'm not insinuating all reps are like this, though.
    08-13-09 10:23 PM
    Onyx for sure you 3G speeds FTW!!
    08-13-09 10:32 PM
    Does anyone know the driftwood's size/dimensions? I'm curious to know which of the two phones is smaller (8900 vs 9700).
    08-15-09 10:15 PM
    Does anyone know the driftwood's size/dimensions? I'm curious to know which of the two phones is smaller (8900 vs 9700).
    The Driftwood, will be the same size as the BB Onyx, therefore the 8900, and the 9700 will be about the same size.
    08-15-09 11:32 PM
    I was at the AT&T store yesterday and was looking over the current berries they offer and thinking about whether or not to wait for the Onyx. The sales rep asked me if I was interested in anything and I told him I planned on waiting for a rumored upcoming phone called the Onyx. He did a little research and said the Onyx is just a 3G 8900. From what I have read that doesn't seem to be right. They are different in more than just 3G correct?
    lets go mountaineers
    08-16-09 10:58 PM
    Onyx > 8900.
    08-17-09 02:19 AM
    Onyx will have 800mhz processor compared to 512mhz on the 8900. It will also have the "next gen" trackpad.Wonder how next gen it'll be. Still I'm super excited for this phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 03:30 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD