I have 32 apps on my curve(9330)and have downloaded over 100.I am with sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 06:58 PM
    Can someone explain to me why the numbers don't add up. I understand the traditional blackberry had nv flash which it used for apps and to run the device. MY BB 8900 for example has 256mb, of which 114mb is free after a clean install.

The current phones now have 768mb ram + 8 gb storage.

But there is an issue because the numbers don't add up on the storage side. I think we can all agree that 8gb is actually 7.81 real GB or memory first off. Second, if we look at the unboxing kevin shot, Of the 8gb of storage memory, it says it has a total of 6.2gb total space, and of that 6gb is free. That still leaves 1.61gb unallocated. Where the heck did the memory go if the "RAM" is being used for apps and OS?

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt they have 1.61gb's worth of ring tones etc stored on the device that is blocked from being removed.

Now some like myself wonder if the memory structure for the device has changed since it's a new chipset with a dedicated gpu. I wouldn't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
    08-10-11 09:38 PM
    Can someone explain to me why the numbers don't add up. I understand the traditional blackberry had nv flash which it used for apps and to run the device. MY BB 8900 for example has 256mb, of which 114mb is free after a clean install.

But there is an issue because the numbers don't add up on the storage side. I think we can all agree that 8gb is actually 7.81 real GB or memory first off. Second, if we look at the unboxing kevin shot, Of the 8gb of storage memory, it says it has a total of 6.2gb total space, and of that 6gb is free. That still leaves 1.61gb unallocated. Where the heck did the memory go if the "RAM" is being used for apps and OS?

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt they have 1.61gb's worth of ring tones etc stored on the device that is blocked from being removed.

Now some like myself wonder if the memory structure for the device has changed since it's a new chipset with a dedicated gpu. I wouldn't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I will agree with you on this.. I was wondering the exact same thing.. just too much seems to be missing, but where did it go? I mean there must have been a reason that they decided to bump it up to 8GB internal,, maybe some of that reason was because they had to use A LOT of it for something else. Idk :/
    08-10-11 09:50 PM
    In this case, RAM is a misnomer. The actual RAM that you are talking about is present, and completely separate from the OP and app storage we are discussing here.

The memory we are talking about is simply 768MB of non-volatile flash memory that is used for OS and app storage.

In addition to that, there is another 8GB of built-in flash memory for media storage, and a microSD card up to 32GB can be installed to supplement the 8GB present.

Again, what we are talking about is not RAM, though many people insist on calling it that.

Exactly,

For those of you who are having trouble distinguishing between "RAM" and "Application/Flash Storage", get an OS6 or OS7 BB phone, go to options, applications and scroll between "Memory" and "Application Storage"

"Memory" = RAM i.e what's currently running at the moment

"Application Storage" = Flash memory i.e. memory for storing OS and apps

Two separate things
    08-10-11 10:21 PM
    in comparison, on my playbook i currently have 168 MB ram free with bridge and 3 apps open. Differnet beast but apps only store things in ram that they require fast access too.

free ram looks low but if each app consumes 10MBs of ram while running that gives u the abillity to have 18 additional apps running at the same time.
    08-10-11 11:17 PM
    If I were to guess, I think the OS7 Devices are more similar to our home PC's this way.

Only way I can figure 1.61gb can dissappear.
    08-10-11 11:21 PM
    Here's how we can test this theory. Install an app on the device. Mark the app memory before and after. Then try and exit/shutdown that program completely. If the program isn't active whatsoever the device app memory if similar to ram on a pc, should be closer to the pre install of the app. I can't wait for my device.
    08-10-11 11:27 PM
    Disappointing. This means we wont be getting decent graphic apps / games still.

Wait for QNX or Jump ship. Depends on your needs, just sucks seeing all the apps / games on other peoples phones.

:-(
    08-11-11 02:16 AM
    Disappointing. This means we wont be getting decent graphic apps / games still.

Wait for QNX or Jump ship. Depends on your needs, just sucks seeing all the apps / games on other peoples phones.

:-(
    I disagree, when i installed the 3d rollercoaster game, it used 2 mb in the phone memory space. When opened it downloaded the rest of the game on the SD card, which was ALOT more than 2 MB although i didnt check, as it has 40 levels of 3d fun. SO i do believe there must be good 3d games coming in the near future!
    08-11-11 02:19 AM
    The guy you were responding to was a troll. His post was out of place and totally uncalled for.
    Wow, and I fell. I feel so dumb now...

A qwerty gaming phone, that $hit is too funny. What's next, Playbook's in the headrests in your Scion? WTF

Thing is, the Bold and the Torches are all identical inside, same chipset, same OS, everything. Whatever applies to the QWERTY phone, will apply to the all-touch phone concerning memory.

I haven't even got my first BlackBerry 7 device and I'm already looking forward to when RIM announce the first QNX device. Is this a bad thing ?

No, not at all. You are aspiring for something that'll come out in the future, nothing wrong with that.
    08-11-11 05:59 AM
    Thought I'd share that the amount of free space I have on my phone has increased with each OS leak I've installed. The stock OS the phone came with (.268 or something like that) provided about 180mb of storage. I then installed .303, which gave me around 200mb of storage. Now with the latest leak (.317), I'm sitting at around 220mb.
    sergesc likes this.
    08-11-11 06:02 AM
    How is the leaked version .317? Worth installing? Battery life? Etc..

08-11-11 06:05 AM
    How is the leaked version .317? Worth installing? Battery life? Etc..

I've not noticed too much of a change. Battery is currently discharging at 3.4%, but that's with minimal use. 3G reception is not too good in the basement though. One thing that Shao mentioned was that the universal search settings reset to default after every battery pull. That may be a deal breaker for some people, especially those that use the SearchIt app like I do. I'm considering downgrading at the moment, but we may see another leak sometime soon at this rate.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 08-11-11 at 06:13 AM.
    08-11-11 06:09 AM
    Thanks m8

08-11-11 06:12 AM
    Hey guys, 188 isnt that bad for a Blackberry in general because app sizes aren't as big as a iOS and Android. An average useful app on BB is only 1.5 MB compared to 5-10 on Android and iOS. You can easily fit at least 50 apps and if you don't get junk its more than enough! Although I expect more its not that bad.
    08-11-11 06:23 AM
    Was anyone brave enough to shrink the OS? I'm sure the fonts, languages, etc would free up some space.
    08-11-11 06:40 AM

I think there's really only one way to actually answer your question. We need to see an actual block diagram of the inside of the phone, along with info on what chips are being used. With that information, it should be relatively easy to do additional research and figure out how the phone's various memory spaces are actually implemented. This may come in time, since you can find such diagrams for some older models online. Until then, its just all random and useless speculation.
    08-11-11 06:52 AM
    I am using a Rogers Wireless BlackBerry Bold 9900 with app version 7.0.0.261 and platform 5.0.0.464.

I go into options -> device -> application management -> application storage tab
    I have 341.0MB used and 203MB remaining.
    If the application memory that you are talking about refers to the amount of space used for storing your apps, the I think 188MBs is quite the wrong number here.. That is, unless you are talking about is left over and free/available to use.
    08-11-11 07:07 AM
    9000 - 128mb
    9700 - 256mb
    9800 - 512mb
    9900 - 768mb

Where is the problem? You gonna keep the phone for 10 years or switch it out after 2 or 3 years?

Thought so.
    08-11-11 09:00 AM
    Although bb apps are small in size and usually around 2mb or less and the average person doesn't download 100 apps
    But that's OS 6 and below
    In OS7 we have 1.2ghz,gpu unlike underpowered os 6 and 5 devices so by this when games are developed for os7 to take advantage offf their hardware the size of the apps or games would be large so you can't download plenty of them but that's os7 & no body's gonna develop apps and games for it
    So tthere really is not problem here, most apps are lesst than 2mb

08-11-11 09:28 AM
    none of this explains where the 1.61 gigabytes went!!!!
    08-11-11 10:17 AM
    You guys are all smoking crack.

Ram = Random access memory. Files are temporarily stored in ram while an app is running and the app requires fast read/write access to items stored here. The are lost when the power is cycled.

188 MBs may be overkill for ram on a bb... It depends how much Ram each app requires to run well

App Storage would normally be stored on the deveice memory (6gb) or "hard drive" of the device.

To keep things in perspective here, Xp would run on a computer with 256 MBs of ram. It would be fine as long as you didn't add a bunch of software.

Base Install of Windows server 2k3 requires 512mb ram..

Virtual Machines Running in ESXi will run quickly and reliably with 256 Mbs of ram allocated to them

So In reality the Ram listed at 188 May be overkill depending on how the OS handles it and wether or not the OS has Memory allocated to itself that it keeps segmented from running apps...
    StevesBerries likes this.
    08-11-11 11:01 AM
    Maybe a shot in the dark, but my curve 8530 comes with 256MB or system memory, and 256MB of ROM. Only about 125MB of free space. Now that means 256MB for system memory, and 131MB left for god knows what. So if the 9900 comes with 768MB, lets say 256MB for the GPU, and 256MB for the CPU then that leaves 256MB. I would like to see the final number when u delete all the crappy apps that are preloaded.

I don't care I'm still getting one, i doubt ill use up all 188MB with apps anyways. Think of the upgrade I'm going to be getting. **** my friend has had a curve 8300 for a LONG time and is getting a 9900 with me when they launch here. He will flip out after using it.

Ram = Random access memory. Files are temporarily stored in ram while an app is running and the app requires fast read/write access to items stored here. The are lost when the power is cycled.

188 MBs may be overkill for ram on a bb... It depends how much Ram each app requires to run well

App Storage would normally be stored on the deveice memory (6gb) or "hard drive" of the device.
    That actually makes the most sense!
    Last edited by StevesBerries; 08-11-11 at 11:39 AM.
    08-11-11 11:32 AM

To keep things in perspective here, Xp would run on a computer with 256 MBs of ram. It would be fine as long as you didn't add a bunch of software.

Base Install of Windows server 2k3 requires 512mb ram..

Virtual Machines Running in ESXi will run quickly and reliably with 256 Mbs of ram allocated to them

So In reality the Ram listed at 188 May be overkill depending on how the OS handles it and wether or not the OS has Memory allocated to itself that it keeps segmented from running apps...
    Again...the 188MB is not RAM. It is the remaining flash memory for application storage after OS installation.

Stop calling it RAM.
    aNYthing24 likes this.
    08-11-11 03:11 PM
    My 9800 has more free memory than this new devices? WTF RIM?

apps installed:
    - pattern lock
    - whatsapp
    - facebook
    - twitter
    - appworld
    - protect
    - amazon
    - qr code scanner pro
    - shazam
    - memory booster
    - google maps
    - capture it
    - waze
    and 6 bbm groups with more than 10 persons.

OS7 seems to be worse than OS6
    08-11-11 03:59 PM
221 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD