This is what I said! 188 of application storage may not seem like a lot but that is just out of the box. You don't have to live with that. Delete what you don't need and be satisfied. I know some people are frustrated because they expected this device to have more storage out of the box, but I'm just not convinced that it is a problem that can't be easily fixed. No big deal, IMHO.
    Exactly, at least we can delete any apps we want without having to jailbreak or root.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 09:08 AM
    Clearly, this "bump" in memory is in reality, a significant drop to us - this is strike 2 for me. (Strike 1 being no UMA support...which is a different topic but might be a showstopper for me)

My disclaimer - Yes I know you can shrink an OS, but my point is that you shouldn't have to. I don't buy a car then go and strip out the interior so i can get an extra 1mpg.

The 9700 had approximately 110mb left over after install, of which around 80 could be used for apps (I'm assuming that 30 is needed to keep things from going hourglass crazy). With themes running around 1.2mb a hit, and apps ranging from 50-400kb at launch, we could install about 25-30 apps, and about half dozen themes before things started to slow down.

The 9900 for all its glory, only having an additional 70mb would be nice if apps were the same size. Just about every app is now in the 1-3mb range, with some lower end ones in the 300-500 range.

In short, app sizes are growing, OS size has swelled, and the available memory has not kept up.
    Seriously...? It's funny that you guys are so caught up on the number that you have ceased to realize that EVERYONE WHO CURRENTLY HAS THE PHONE HAS HAD NO COMPLAINTS, AND THIS IS INCLUDING NO PROBLEMS WITH "TOO LITTLE" or RUNNING OUT OF MEMORY!

Complaining about the phone not having enough memory and you don't even have it whereas those who HAVE it aren't having problems with it in the slightest. and yes APPS are getting BIGGER but with games and such, only a TINY portion is installed in the RAM for a quick boot load and the rest is off the storage. They are using the other 500+MB of memory to make it so the phone doesn't delay or anything and you guys have in your head that the phone will be running like complete **** if you don't have 200MB+ FREE MB after all of your programs are installed like on my Bold 9650, but they built this OS different.. it's a DIFFERENT OS so stop beating a dead horse.. They are using the 550MB that you don't see to prevent bogging down so go use up the 188MB and the phone will still be running great and yet again, GOOD LUCK EVEN GETTING TO USE THAT MANY MB's.

We are NOT going to have to worry about running out of RAM until QNX phones come out because the app size stored on RAM with BBOS7 is NOT that big at all. And by QNX, RIM is going to put all of their money into that phone because although this is the flagship phone, this next phone will make them or break them and they know that. STOP worrying about memory because not ONE person who has this phone has complained about it.. ONLY those of you who DON'T have this phone.. The people who have this d@mn phone have NOTHING but great things to say about it then you debby downers are over here complaining about how the NUMBER YOU SEE WITH YOUR EYES isn't HIGH enough therefore it must be a bad phone yet IT IS JUST BUILT DIFFERENTLY SO ITS JUST YOUR MIND MESSING WITH YOU.. Like on the curve series how you need to restart if your memory runs below 20MB free or whatever, THIS phone is different where the RAM that you DON'T see is going to prevent any slowdown no matter how low that number YOU see gets, and AGAIN chances are you will NEVER get it that low with the current app selection or ANYTHING within the next year until the QNX phones so seriously guys, this phone is FINALLY coming out and instead of being happy, you just complain about something that IN REALITY is not even a problem to the 100+ people who ACTUALLY HAVE it so why do you have to complain about it when you don't have it??

I'm just getting sick of how much you guys are like all for RIM then you go and are so much against them the second they finally release the phone.. Same thing has happened with just about everyone of their previous phones.. The day they get launched, people that don't have it complain about some feature that isn't even problematic and it becomes a BIG ordeal for absolutely NO REASON... Seriously guys it's such a joke... Sad that you are making it affect you so much though..
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 08-10-11 at 11:01 AM. Reason: f bomb
    08-10-11 09:28 AM
    I hope the application memory on QNX blackberry's because this is embarrassing. Although I don't download all that much on my current phone. That may change though with all the new 3d gaming that the liquid graphics enables

08-10-11 09:37 AM
    If you search RAM in universal search it comes back with application memory only. Just figured I would point that out. Application memory shouldn't have anything to do with actual RAM...but obviously RIM thinks it does.
    mechanic_joe likes this.
    08-10-11 10:20 AM
    I guess I was really expecting more. Maybe limited due to the physical design/form factor of the device. I am thinking of using my upgrade for this phone as I will not be an early adopter of the QNX devices. It still looks like a VERY solid product from Canadia. I have a pharmaceutical app on my Storm2 which seems to use a lot of resources and hope that the useful apps will not bog down my device. It is really frustrating to get the clock when trying to look up meds.
    Which app do u use? I tried both medscape and epocrates, they both bog down my 9550..
    08-10-11 10:20 AM
    This is a huge game-changer for me. I was all prepared to upgrade to the 9900 before the end of the month. Now I will be waiting for QNX to show its face before upgading. Very disappointed.
    08-10-11 10:57 AM
    Seriously...? It's funny that you guys are so caught up on the number that you have ceased to realize that EVERYONE WHO CURRENTLY HAS THE PHONE HAS HAD NO COMPLAINTS, AND THIS IS INCLUDING NO PROBLEMS WITH "TOO LITTLE" or RUNNING OUT OF MEMORY!

Complaining about the phone not having enough memory and you don't even have it whereas those who HAVE it aren't having problems with it in the slightest. and yes APPS are getting BIGGER but with games and such, only a TINY portion is installed in the RAM for a quick boot load and the rest is off the storage. They are using the other 500+MB of memory to make it so the phone doesn't delay or anything and you guys have in your head that the phone will be running like complete **** if you don't have 200MB+ FREE MB after all of your programs are installed like on my Bold 9650, but they built this OS different.. it's a DIFFERENT OS so stop beating a dead horse.. They are using the 550MB that you don't see to prevent bogging down so go use up the 188MB and the phone will still be running great and yet again, GOOD LUCK EVEN GETTING TO USE THAT MANY MB's.

We are NOT going to have to worry about running out of RAM until QNX phones come out because the app size stored on RAM with BBOS7 is NOT that big at all. And by QNX, RIM is going to put all of their money into that phone because although this is the flagship phone, this next phone will make them or break them and they know that. STOP worrying about memory because not ONE person who has this phone has complained about it.. ONLY those of you who DON'T have this phone.. The people who have this d@mn phone have NOTHING but great things to say about it then you debby downers are over here complaining about how the NUMBER YOU SEE WITH YOUR EYES isn't HIGH enough therefore it must be a bad phone yet IT IS JUST BUILT DIFFERENTLY SO ITS JUST YOUR MIND MESSING WITH YOU.. Like on the curve series how you need to restart if your memory runs below 20MB free or whatever, THIS phone is different where the RAM that you DON'T see is going to prevent any slowdown no matter how low that number YOU see gets, and AGAIN chances are you will NEVER get it that low with the current app selection or ANYTHING within the next year until the QNX phones so seriously guys, this phone is FINALLY coming out and instead of being happy, you just complain about something that IN REALITY is not even a problem to the 100+ people who ACTUALLY HAVE it so why do you have to complain about it when you don't have it??

I'm just getting sick of how much you guys are like all for RIM then you go and are so much against them the second they finally release the phone.. Same thing has happened with just about everyone of their previous phones.. The day they get launched, people that don't have it complain about some feature that isn't even problematic and it becomes a BIG ordeal for absolutely NO REASON... Seriously guys it's such a joke... Sad that you are making it affect you so much though..
    I think you are missing the point. I dont think many people, who know BB, are complaining becuase the phone wont run well. What is disappointing is that this phone is really just a stop gap. By including only 188 mg of space for applications, RIM is saying that there will be no next gen BB applications. No games to take advantage of the 1.2 ghz processor or dedicated graphics chip. What you have is what you will get. If you want better, get a QNX phone whenver those are released. Its a little bit of a shock. In other words, this OS is breathing its last breaths. I think people were hoping for more.

Or, IMO, even worse, applications are released for the phone that run in the 5-10 mb range and then you really are stuck with too little memory.
    Last edited by garment69; 08-10-11 at 11:31 AM.
    08-10-11 11:28 AM
    If apps actually handle "media data" separately from the actual code, and install that data to the SDCard, then there is plenty of room.

You know the two massive EA-developed native games on the PlayBook? Need For Speed and Tetris, which are about 300MB and 60MB respectively? Well, the actual application code for each is only about 1.6MB. Everything else is "data". (graphics, videos, sounds, etc.)
    01itr likes this.
    08-10-11 11:35 AM
    From the user manual (filed in the FCC):

Textually: : TIPS; FREEING AND CONSERVING STORAGE SPACE

"try to maintain at least 400KB of available application storage on your Blackberry device. If you find that your device processes are unusually slow, try freeing storage space by deleting files that you don't need. Changing options for email messages, calendar entries, and media files might help you conserve storage space."

Full user manual found here: FCC filing
    Ok, so on most of the older devices they start freezing up at about 30mb. Does this mean the arcitecture has changed so much that now 400kb is enough to keep things running smoothly?

I am sure it may be possible but it seems counter intuitive. Faster processor uses more data at a higher rate of speed right?

But

That memory is not the same kind of memory, it's newer and faster yes?

When you talk PC's it all makes perfect sense but I cant get the translation to fit into my tiny brain.
    08-10-11 11:35 AM
    that 400kb disclaimer has been in there for a long time now. its not new at all
    08-10-11 11:42 AM
    This is a huge game-changer for me. I was all prepared to upgrade to the 9900 before the end of the month. Now I will be waiting for QNX to show its face before upgading. Very disappointed.
    I'm having second thoughts too; maybe it's time to move to Android.
    08-10-11 11:46 AM
    If apps actually handle "media data" separately from the actual code, and install that data to the SDCard, then there is plenty of room.

You know the two massive EA-developed native games on the PlayBook? Need For Speed and Tetris, which are about 300MB and 60MB respectively? Well, the actual application code for each is only about 1.6MB. Everything else is "data". (graphics, videos, sounds, etc.)
    Exactly. Unless you know exactly how the OS is actually handling the applications, there is no use in jumping to conclusions. It could just be that the binary file can be stored in the application memory, and the large media files with the pictures and other assets can be stored in the large media storage. Then while the application is running it grabs the pictures and media from the large storage.
    08-10-11 11:55 AM
    How many people where going to use this as a serious GAMING app device? This is not an iPhone.

How many people where going to use this as a storehouse for hundreds of apps, many which you probably never use more then a few times? Again, this is not an iPhone.

The large size apps and quantity of apps aren't on BB's. What BB does have are utility apps and they are not that big.

How many do you plan on installing? 10? 50? 100? more? not cause you need them or use them, but because you can? App gluttony is what I think it is.

Can we just bury this stupidity? Cause only people who never intended to buy this generation of phone in the first place or are to ignorant to see past trolling are going to make this a big deal.

You're disappointed? So am I but I still have to deal with you.
    08-10-11 12:03 PM
    Exactly, at least we can delete any apps we want without having to jailbreak or root.

What's your point?
    08-10-11 12:03 PM
    Exactly. Unless you know exactly how the OS is actually handling the applications, there is no use in jumping to conclusions. It could just be that the binary file can be stored in the application memory, and the large media files with the pictures and other assets can be stored in the large media storage. Then while the application is running it grabs the pictures and media from the large storage.
    Just a reference, HAWK, NOVA, Homerun Battle and a few others, did the same on Android a few months ago when i was using one. Down load the game from the market. Open it up and it would have to go through another download process initally putting it onto the sdcard
    08-10-11 12:04 PM
    For all those who are having second thoughts, think this all through. I have been waiting for a Blackberry device of this type for a long, LONG time. Right know, im just about ready to punch an elderly women for one. App space, is TONS for all your games and apps. I will never see anyone here who has 0 app space on the new line up, never. I have about 300+ apps from app world that I have downloaded and even if i download all of them i would stil not run out of space lol. Then again, I will never use 300 apps. Also, the 256 gpu will make sure my phone runs as fast as possible soo not worried at all. At th end of the day, you are buying this phone because of bbm and social media, which this phone can do amazingly! the new facebook, twitter, bbm apps have been updated and are being updated more frequently than ever before. not selling this phone to anyone but just trying people to THINK before saying that this phone is useless for a issue that will never exist, such as running out of app space.
    01itr likes this.
    08-10-11 12:07 PM
    How many people where going to use this as a serious GAMING app device? This is not an iPhone.

How many people where going to use this as a storehouse for hundreds of apps, many which you probably never use more then a few times? Again, this is not an iPhone.

The large size apps and quantity of apps aren't on BB's. What BB does have are utility apps and they are not that big.

How many do you plan on installing? 10? 50? 100? more? not cause you need them or use them, but because you can? App gluttony is what I think it is.

Can we just bury this stupidity? Cause only people who never intended to buy this generation of phone in the first place or are to ignorant to see past trolling are going to make this a big deal.

What's this misconception that in order to have apps or games you need to have an iPhone? Why are some users hating on some of us who want a little more from our phones? Yes, the iPhone has been "king" when we talk about apps/games, and BBs have always lacked in this department. But excuse me if I'd like that my smartphone to do what it does great and add to it that little extra. Unproductive? Yes. Pointless? Perhaps. Useless? Maybe. But why can't we have the option? After all, RIM is known to give options to its users (candybar, slider, all-touch).

Personally, I'm still waiting for the phone to come here, so I can get mine. What I've seen is that OS7 is extremely responsive and fast, no doubt about it. However, I don't like to be called a troll for saying what I think on a forum, especially if it's on topic with the thread, nor am I an ignorant. If you don't agree with me, you have your opinion, I have mine, thank you.
    08-10-11 12:20 PM
    As I have been reading this thread over the last day I have come to the conclusion that the 9930 is right for me for many reasons. While I am used to have far more app storage space and I like to keeps lots of free space available I always removed teh crapware I didn't want on previous BB's so if I can debloat it and get 200+MB of space I will be happy. My 9930 will be about getting things done and for me that means I will consider more closely what I must have on my phone instead of just installing a bunch of apps that I rarely or never wind up using.

Should the phone have more, sure, but in the end if RIM put 1GB of memory in the device I bet we would still have ended up in the 200+MB range because they would have just added more stuff.

I see the 9930 has my bridge BB until the "real QNX" BB's come out in 18 months, I just don't see me jumping on the first gen anyways.
    08-10-11 12:20 PM
    What's this misconception that in order to have apps or games you need to have an iPhone? Why are some users hating on some of us who want a little more from our phones? Yes, the iPhone has been "king" when we talk about apps/games, and BBs have always lacked in this department. But excuse me if I'd like that my smartphone to do what it does great and add to it that little extra. Unproductive? Yes. Pointless? Perhaps. Useless? Maybe. But why can't we have the option? After all, RIM is known to give options to its users (candybar, slider, all-touch).

Personally, I'm still waiting for the phone to come here, so I can get mine. What I've seen is that OS7 is extremely responsive and fast, no doubt about it. However, I don't like to be called a troll for saying what I think on a forum, especially if it's on topic with the thread, nor am I an ignorant. If you don't agree with me, you have your opinion, I have mine, thank you.
    The guy you were responding to was a troll. His post was out of place and totally uncalled for.
    08-10-11 12:29 PM
    I think you are missing the point. I dont think many people, who know BB, are complaining becuase the phone wont run well. What is disappointing is that this phone is really just a stop gap. By including only 188 mg of space for applications, RIM is saying that there will be no next gen BB applications. No games to take advantage of the 1.2 ghz processor or dedicated graphics chip. What you have is what you will get. If you want better, get a QNX phone whenver those are released. Its a little bit of a shock. In other words, this OS is breathing its last breaths. I think people were hoping for more.

Or, IMO, even worse, applications are released for the phone that run in the 5-10 mb range and then you really are stuck with too little memory.
    But you can't say that.. As I have stated and many other, a 400mb game can still exist (as it does on the playbook) it just uses like 2mb of memory and the rest goes on the storage, so how can you say that they are pretty much saying there will not be any next gen apps or games from seeing this because its just not true.. The iphone 4 has Fkin 512MB of ram so probably sits in the EXACT same spot as this phone with a good 200-250 left over and that works PERFECTLY well for games and apps etc. So how are you guys comparing this phone to the iPhone and saying that this BlackBerry will not get full use of nextgen apps... The theory behind your argument seems somewhat redundant because the iPhone 4 is doing it perfectly fine with the same memory left over..
    08-10-11 12:33 PM
    Which app do u use? I tried both medscape and epocrates, they both bog down my 9550..
    I use Epocrates and it makes my storm 9550 run like crap, but I would rather have that than carry around a PDR.
    08-10-11 12:35 PM
    But you can't say that.. As I have stated and many other, a 400mb game can still exist (as it does on the playbook) it just uses like 2mb of memory and the rest goes on the storage, so how can you say that they are pretty much saying there will not be any next gen apps or games from seeing this because its just not true.. The iphone 4 has Fkin 512MB of ram so probably sits in the EXACT same spot as this phone with a good 200-250 left over and that works PERFECTLY well for games and apps etc. So how are you guys comparing this phone to the iPhone and saying that this BlackBerry will not get full use of nextgen apps... The theory behind your argument seems somewhat redundant because the iPhone 4 is doing it perfectly fine with the same memory left over..
    The point you are making is correct. My point was about all kinds of apps. Android's youtube app is 9.7 mb if memory serves. The speed test app is 2 megs. Many games are 10 megs BEFORE you download the actual game data that can be 350 megs. I was hopefull that BB 7 would usher in better, more refined and more full featured apps. Perhaps on BB they dont need to be as big as on Android but if they do, the 188 megs will go much quicker with apps in the 5 meg range than it will be apps in the 400 kb range. And continuing with what I was saying, if the apps on BB get bigger then RIM did a bad job in only allocating 188 megs.

Not sure where the iphone 4 reference came from. Apps on IOS are all stored in the same place. the data is not segregated.
    08-10-11 12:38 PM
    seems like many people in this thread don't know the difference between storage and RAM

768MB of RAM is in the Bold
    that has nothing to do with application storage
    08-10-11 12:39 PM
    Memory leaks haven't happened since the Storm1.
    HAHA! Sorry, but this statement is an EPIC FAIL.
    My 9650 leaks at least 70MB in 16 hours...daily. Who cares if its a combo of apps or themes or simply OS6? IT LEAKS. You are very much mistaken with this statement sorry!
    rrrebo likes this.
    08-10-11 12:40 PM

All I was trying to point out with the start of this thread was that I thought it would be more. I will be moving from the 9550 to the 9930 when VZW gets theirs. I only have 3 apps: Facebook, Epocrates, Poynt. Oh, and Quickpull installed and it lists only 84 MB of device memory free. Well that's fine, except that my phone turns into a large plastic box that looks like a phone when it goes below 80 or so. Personally, I am not asking for a billion Apps, I am asking for enough memory to run the basic Apps I want/need to make the phone really as valuable as possible for me. That's all....So will 188 MB be enough?
    08-10-11 12:43 PM
221 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD