I am sorry, anyone who thinks these phones came with enough app memory in this day in age is delusional. Bb isnt just a cooperate type phone anymore. They are moving to be a mix of cooperate/consumer type phones. They have too or they eventually will cease to exist.

I can bet dollars to cents if bb did what andriod/iphone did well with the things bb already do, then look out! We will be more then back in the game.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 11:28 PM
    Considering I was rocking the good old Tour 9630 that had like 90 MB free after a clean OS wipe, and even after I loaded my apps I had 55 MB still free, I think I'd be ok with 188 MB.
    Sharma15 and imrank128 like this.
    08-09-11 11:32 PM
    I am sorry, anyone who thinks these phones came with enough app memory in this day in age is delusional.
    I'd love to see you or anyone else actually run out of application memory through normal everyday use (not intentionally downloading a ton of bloated apps).
    imrank128 likes this.
    08-09-11 11:36 PM
    I am sorry, anyone who thinks these phones came with enough app memory in this day in age is delusional. Bb isnt just a cooperate type phone anymore. They are moving to be a mix of cooperate/consumer type phones. They have too or they eventually will cease to exist.

I can bet dollars to cents if bb did what andriod/iphone did well with the things bb already do, then look out! We will be more then back in the game.

I have 54 apps taking up 41.5mb on my Torch. So quick math tells me I can have approximately 240 applications on the 9900. I'm pretty sure I'm not delusional in thinking 188mb is more than sufficient.
    imrank128 likes this.
    08-09-11 11:41 PM
    There's RAM where the OS and apps operate, ROM where the OS and apps are stored, and device storage where pictures and files are stored just like an internal SD. I'd be shocked if they set aside 256MB of ROM for cache. That seems awfully large. I'd also be shocked if we couldn't shrink out more than 100MB of crap. One thing's for sure, we'll know very soon what these new BlackBerries limits really are.
    john_v and hdizzle like this.
    08-09-11 11:42 PM
    Just so everyone knows, I attempted to shrink an OS (7.0.0.303) using the BB Boss program, but the loader wouldn't recognize the actual OS files anymore. I'm not sure if anyone else has had any luck shrinking at this time.
    08-09-11 11:45 PM
    Amen !!!!
    Preach on brotha !!!!!
    08-09-11 11:58 PM
    200MB is still a very small capacity...if the Torch 9860 is to compete with the likes of iOS and Android, 200MB won't cut it for apps and the such.

Heck, I have games on my iPhone of over 300MB!! (Infinity Blade namely), I'm worried right now. The OS can't use that much memory...
    Well yeah, 300MB for that game, but one of the RIM employees at BlackBerry fan night said to Kevin when he brought up this point kinda, the employee said that the game would be stored on the internal memory and only a tiny chunk would be in the actual 768MB memory. So maybe a 300MB game would take up 3MB of app memory just for the initial load or something, so that's not really a big deal.. you would run out of internal 8gb memory before you would run out of RAM memory. At least I'm pretty sure about all of this.
    08-10-11 12:17 AM
    Just so everyone knows, I attempted to shrink an OS (7.0.0.303) using the BB Boss program, but the loader wouldn't recognize the actual OS files anymore. I'm not sure if anyone else has had any luck shrinking at this time.
    I'm more than positive programs like this will be available for OS7
    08-10-11 12:18 AM
    This is my number one (with a bullet) complaint about this phone. The 'RAM' shouldn't be advertised as 768, since the app space is taken from that. My year old SGS has 512mb of RAM (which some of the OS resides in) and 1.8gigs of app space (oh, and apps to sd, but I don't even need to go there).

My good ole Storm ran very fast with no apps, but the more apps you added, the less 'RAM' the device had, until it slowed to a standstill.

Its 2011, 188mb of app space is insulting, imo.

Lets not forget about memory leaks. And messages, texts, and other data the end user doesnt see
    08-10-11 12:28 AM
    Lets not forget about memory leaks. And messages, texts, and other data the end user doesnt see
    Memory leaks haven't happened since the Storm1.
    08-10-11 12:38 AM
    I think this could be settled when Kevin or someone else posts a bit on crackberry what the app memory is like with the most commonly used applications.
    Testers didn't know 768 would be misleading? I thought I was gonna be in the 500mb range for apps???

Why didn't some of this info get posted by the people with test units. They didnt look at the 188mb of ram and $hit? They didn't do some shrinking?

WHERE ARE THE NUMBERS???
    08-10-11 12:55 AM

BlackBerry apps are not all that big. So unless all the previous apps from OS6 back are going to be re-coded and bloated out I do not see where the OS7 devices will have anymore issue with free space than the older ones. Which is to say some people that want 200 apps on the phone are going to need to do some tweaking.
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-10-11 01:11 AM
    Just thought a comparison of a few different generations might put things into perspective. It's not the trail blazer I had built up in my mind. It's just another step, but a much needed one and I could use a new toy, that's for sure.

Here is whats happening with my 9000 Just now. I have all my necessary apps installed. The new phone would have plenty of room for the few that I install on occasion like Google Maps. The phone starts to drag a$$ at about 30 and get super slow when it dips into low twenty's. "Free Space" that is.

Last edited by olblueyez; 08-10-11 at 01:46 AM.
    08-10-11 01:28 AM
    Testers didn't know 768 would be misleading? I thought I was gonna be in the 500mb range for apps???

Why didn't some of this info get posted by the people with test units. They didnt look at the 188mb of ram and $hit? They didn't do some shrinking?

WHERE ARE THE NUMBERS???
    If you look close enough, in almost every video leaked (even ones that are over a month old) show that there is only around 180MB free. People just never really said anything about it because they figured that the test units/old OS's might just be hogging a bit too much of the 768MB and we would see more free when it actually came to market. I am a little stumped about the 180MB free, but I can't say that I am overly angry.. I mean RIM put 768MB in there for a reason and every little bit that we don't see, I'm sure is being put to good use so I'm really not too worried.

I mean you could also complain that RIM should have put 1GB of memory in it, but think about this too.. They are probably cutting down the cost as much as possible (without damaging the usability of the phone) to throw all the money into their first QNX phones coming early next year. The Bold 99xx seems to run phenomenal with the current memory in there so I'm not mad that RIM didn't throw a gig or more in there just to make people happy because they would see a larger number of free memory. Realistically this phone is going to last about a year with all of us diehard BlackBerry fans then we are all going to upgrade to the QNX phones, which will be when Andriod apps n stuff start becoming available which would be when Memory and everything would actually be IMPORTANT, but lets keep it real guys, the 768MB with 180MB free is completely enough with the current amount of apps readily available for BBOS7 and with their current size. Who knows, maybe I'm just crazy, but It makes sense to me?
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 08-10-11 at 01:38 AM.
    anon(767240) and htc_maple like this.
    08-10-11 01:33 AM
    They could of least put 200 made it even

enb123 likes this.
    08-10-11 01:46 AM
    BlackBerry apps are not all that big. So unless all the previous apps from OS6 back are going to be re-coded and bloated out I do not see where the OS7 devices will have anymore issue with free space than the older ones. Which is to say some people that want 200 apps on the phone are going to need to do some tweaking.
    Hey, somebody gets it... And they won't be. Only QNX apps will be much larger, so it's moot.
    08-10-11 01:52 AM
    I'm coming from a phone where I cannot have "all" my apps loaded at once and I am only missing a few or five, but its just so annoying. I think it will be ok, I had 500mb stuck in my head for some reason.

Dreaming about Drinking Bombay Sapphire and Tonic at 4 in the morning loading a billion apps!!!

You know what I'm sayin.

Im not crazy about being a QNX guinea pig either. Second generation, you bet.
    08-10-11 01:53 AM
    Im not crazy about being a QNX guinea pig either. Second generation, you bet.
    In reality it's already going to be second generation by the time the phones actually release.
    08-10-11 02:47 AM
    Come on guys, stop it!

You all start complaining with having no idea how it works! It will may get better with later builds, may some memory is prelocated... Use your Bolds 9900 for some time and if you have problems with your RAM start crying!

08-10-11 02:53 AM
    I know it will be dissapointing to some but it doesn't bother
    me, all I need is a Twitter client and I'll be happy.
    08-10-11 03:56 AM
    I hope the apps that really take advantage of the GPU are able to be stored in the onboard storage instead of the app memory. To really enjoy the liquid graphics you're going to need an app with a lot of detail and this would be a large app, whether it's a game or not. Anyone found wikitude yet? I wonder how big it is?
    This is the device I decided to not get and go Android instead. I really want it to succeed though. I just don't want anyone to see an awesome app but not get it because they don't want to lose the memory.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
    08-10-11 04:08 AM
    * BlackBerry� Maps 6.1
    * Facebook� for BlackBerry� smartphones 2.0
    * Social Feeds 2.0
    * Twitter� for BlackBerry� smartphones 2.0
    * Windows Live� Messenger for BlackBerry� smartphones, Yahoo!� Messenger for BlackBerry� smartphones and Google Talk� for BlackBerry� smartphones 2.5
    * Music Storefront (Amazon MP3 for BlackBerry smartphones 1.0)
    * BlackBerry� Messenger 6.0
    * BlackBerry App World� storefront 2.1
    * BlackBerry� Podcasts for BlackBerry smartphones 1.5
    * BlackBerry� Protect 1.1
    * Documents To Go� Premium 3.0

This alone adds 50MB to memory. So if we add 250MB for OS Plus 70MB for reserved memory operation. In addition, there is 80MB of blackberry core applications. I am note sure if that is included in the OS or not. Let's assume it is not. Then there is full language support that if not edited would add 15MB. So those two eat up another 100MB of memory. that would leave 300 MB of free memory but Kevin was showing about 200MB free. So there is 100 MB of unexplained memory usage. My expectation is that after I configured it to my liking and eliminated unwanted software and applications I would have about 300 to 350 MB of free memory. Hopefully Kevin will provide an update on this.

Does anybody else find it amazing that all the above apps ONLY use 50MB?
    08-10-11 04:24 AM
    While I understand that if we are to believe RIM is catching up with the rest of the platforms, to me BB is different....I personally don't use the phone for gaming and heavy app use.....I use it for messaging,texting,emailing and productivity. I was actually thinking of trying the Thunderbolt until I started to think what is my primary purpose with this phone. It is not to play games and watch videos, it's for getting things done. I found that there are only 6-7 apps that I have used on a regular basis and I personally dont need all that space for applications. I want a phone that is responsive, intuitive and gets the job done. This is not an iPhone and I don't think RIM expects it to be. You have to ask yourself what do you want your phone to do. Hey maybe this phone is not for you. There are tons of other choices.
    Masahiro and ealvnv like this.
    08-10-11 04:48 AM
    @slant ; I think we all know, or many people at least, what Random Access Memory (RAM) and what Read-Only Memory (ROM) is. The thing is, where is BB OS7 installing apps and what are those 188MB?

I for one, use Google Maps, Twitter, FB, Google+ (unavailable for BB), WLM, Skype (unavailable as well), etc. all the time. If the actual RAM are those 188MB for apps to use whenever they need it, I'm fine with it, that's enough. However, if those 188MB work as storage for apps AND memory then it seems somewhat limited. Granted, we have to test the phone to actually know about real-life performance, and if that dreaded hourglass appears or not.

If I was a mere consumer, after hearing all the fuss that RIM did about the memory and then finding out that there is less than a third available, it would be somewhat disappointing - in sheer hardware numbers, how that translates to performance is yet to be seen.
    08-10-11 04:51 AM
221 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD