I agree with howarmat that the new 07 Bold has more memory then it needs for Apps given that they never planned to feed it serious apps in the first place. These phones are simply purchasing a little more time for RIM to get it act together.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    08-09-11 06:45 PM
    Relatively dumb thought, but perhaps something's backwards? Perhaps that's the space used, not the space free?

^^^ Clinging onto any explanation I can wrap my head around because 188MB free just seems so wrong.
    08-09-11 06:54 PM
    Is there any way possible that the 8GB of onboard memory will be able to hold app storage as well (I mean apps could be considered 'media')? And that 188MB is only for OS-related stuff.
    Apps can download and store data to the sdcard. The issue is you cannot install actual cod applications to the sd card.

However BB7 isn't really changing the application landscape, so the memory is likely not going to really be an issue.
    08-09-11 06:58 PM
    Another thought here, with 3 types of input into the phone (touchscreen/keyboard/trackpad), does this relate to the amount of memory this OS would require?
    Yes and RIM knew this and still decided to throw it out there with under 200mb of RAM...........
    What is the amount of Ram needed for the os7 to operate smoothly? Was there a thread last year for the 9650 phones saying do not let the Ram get below 200 for it will cause lag?

If I give someone $10.00 then took $9.00 back for a processing fee, I can't really say I gave him $10.00. I feel this is what RIM has done.
    Maine likes this.
    it would add to it yes
    Yeah. I remember the primary reason why the Storm2 wasn't eligible for an OS6 upgrade, despite the 9700, 9100, and other devices with the same amount of memory, was because the touch interface nearly doubled the required space for the OS.
    08-09-11 06:59 PM
    What is the amount of Ram needed for the os7 to operate smoothly? Was there a thread last year for the 9650 phones saying do not let the Ram get below 200 for it will cause lag?

If I give someone $10.00 then took $9.00 back for a processing fee, I can't really say I gave him $10.00. I feel this is what RIM has done.
    It's not the exact same OS, it's not the same processor, etc, etc.

You can't pin a certain "potential" lag issue that is "supposedly" caused by ram at a certain value and say that it therefore affects a new device identically "just because".
    08-09-11 07:01 PM
    Besides, even if you shrink the os, what do you really gain...another 20-30Ram?
    08-09-11 07:01 PM
    Besides, even if you shrink the os, what do you really gain...another 20-30Ram?
    I take it you've never really messed with the loader much at all...

I can shrink about 80mb on an OS6 pre-shrink hybrid without much effort. You can actually do quite a bit more on a full install.
    08-09-11 07:03 PM
    This is my number one (with a bullet) complaint about this phone. The 'RAM' shouldn't be advertised as 768, since the app space is taken from that. My year old SGS has 512mb of RAM (which some of the OS resides in) and 1.8gigs of app space (oh, and apps to sd, but I don't even need to go there).

My good ole Storm ran very fast with no apps, but the more apps you added, the less 'RAM' the device had, until it slowed to a standstill.

Its 2011, 188mb of app space is insulting, imo.
    I dont think it's insulting; rather, it demonstrates incompetence on RIMS part. RAM limits, the ability to run apps off of a memory card, have been complained about loudly and clearly from consumers for many years. And RIM still can not recity this in 2011.
    08-09-11 07:04 PM
    I dont think it's insulting; rather, it demonstrates incompetence on RIMS part. RAM limits, the ability to run apps off of a memory card, have been complained about loudly and clearly from consumers for many years. And RIM still can not recity this in 2011.
    It will be rectified with QNX. BBOS is too rigid to be modified to that extent.
    08-09-11 07:06 PM
    It will be rectified with QNX. BBOS is too rigid to be modified to that extent.
    +1, I agree 100%.

I actually was watching some of Kevin's youtube videos, and in the last BB event, one of the reps said apps could use the internal memory for 'partial app storage', so very large apps (like games, gps, ect) could use the 'media memory' for partial storage...? Like how some apps cache to the SD card? I'm no software tech, so I don't totally understand it.
    08-09-11 07:49 PM
    It's not the exact same OS, it's not the same processor, etc, etc.

You can't pin a certain "potential" lag issue that is "supposedly" caused by ram at a certain value and say that it therefore affects a new device identically "just because".
    Excuse my ignorance on this subject but I'm still a little confused. I do remember
    shrinking my OS back in the day and having the need to manage my installed
    apps because of the lack of actual app memory. You're saying that even though
    the app memory is basically the same that I won't have to worry about the
    number of installed apps I have because of the better processor? Again, I'm not
    at all trying to be a wise guy here. I'm really confused about this all.
    08-09-11 07:58 PM
    +1, I agree 100%.

I actually was watching some of Kevin's youtube videos, and in the last BB event, one of the reps said apps could use the internal memory for 'partial app storage', so very large apps (like games, gps, ect) could use the 'media memory' for partial storage...? Like how some apps cache to the SD card? I'm no software tech, so I don't totally understand it.
    No dude, let's say you'll be downloading a game. The actual app goes to app memory as always but the scores and silly info will go to the memory card.
    08-09-11 08:03 PM
    Excuse my ignorance on this subject but I'm still a little confused. I do remember
    shrinking my OS back in the day and having the need to manage my installed
    apps because of the lack of actual app memory. You're saying that even though
    the app memory is basically the same that I won't have to worry about the
    number of installed apps I have because of the better processor? Again, I'm not
    at all trying to be a wise guy here. I'm really confused about this all.
    I am in the same boat here. I believe I know what he is trying to say. Here is an example. A car has a 10 gallon gas tank and gets 15 miles per gallon. so he can only go 150 miles . The newer version only has a 7 gallon gas tank but gets 40 miles per gallon.

Does this sound right?
    08-09-11 08:05 PM
    How is anybody shocked by this. Again, the battery life and the app memory were the two sticking points we knew a long time ago.

I guess seeing is believing ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 08:10 PM
    I am in the same boat here. I believe I know what he is trying to say. Here is an example. A car has a 10 gallon gas tank and gets 15 miles per gallon. so he can only go 150 miles . The newer version only has a 7 gallon gas tank but gets 40 miles per gallon.

Does this sound right?
    Yeah, I get your drift. So basically it would be like if we went through great
    lengths to fine tune the car to get a little better MPG either way.

I'm more concerned with if I find a lagging issue with the phone. I can't necessarily
    attribute it low app memory anymore?
    08-09-11 08:13 PM
    +1, I agree 100%.

Not exactly. Files used by an app may be stored on a memory card for the app to load later on... This includes things like eBook files for readers (Kindle, Kobo, etc...), podcasts, etc.
    08-09-11 08:13 PM
    i have never seen so many people mad about the amount of ram on this phone if you don't like it or it's not good enough then don't buy the damn thing if you want a gaming device then get IOS or Android it's not a gaming device to begin with the apps are small were RIM can get away with it, if it will run smoothly and not lock up then why should anyone care just be thankful you have it SMFH :/
    anon(767240) likes this.
    08-09-11 08:14 PM
    i have never seen so many people mad about the amount of ram on this phone if you don't like it or it's not good enough then don't buy the damn thing if you want a gaming device then get IOS or Android it's not a gaming device to begin with the apps are small were RIM can get away with it, if it will run smoothly and not lock up then why should anyone care just be thankful you have it SMFH :/
    No one is "mad" here. We're just asking questions.
    mechanic_joe and hammman like this.
    08-09-11 08:15 PM
    There are ways around this as a developer. Have a shell app that houses the engine (using a game as an example here) for running the app, typically that's fairly small and should fit within app memory just fine. Then when you launch the app it goes out to a server somewhere and downloads the rest of the content to the SD card. Your app reads in the data from the SD card from then on, and you've got plenty of space to work with.

Not many developers like to go this route because it requires coding a whole download engine within the app, but it isn't impossible to code around this limit...
    southlander likes this.
    08-09-11 08:16 PM
    You obviously completely miss the point here. Just move on son!
    08-09-11 08:16 PM
    No one is "mad" here. We're just asking questions.
    then i take back what i said and i didn't mean it to come off the way it did my apologies
    FigureThisOut likes this.
    08-09-11 08:18 PM
    You obviously completely miss the point here. Just move on son!
    i very well do understand what everyone is saying i get the memory is low and it is disappointing, but what i'm saying is if it's not slow and it will run smoothly with apps loaded on it then why should anyone care, question it is more RAM then what's on the any other blackberry then just be thankful you have more memory to work with
    andyahs likes this.
    08-09-11 08:23 PM
    I think this could be settled when Kevin or someone else posts a bit on crackberry what the app memory is like with the most commonly used applications.
    08-09-11 08:27 PM
221 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD