How is the OP supposed to see an icon, or the BB screen for that matter, while riding down a rocky mountain trail?????
    Why would RIM waste time, money, and resources trying to figure out every scenario that people use their video recorders in. For the final time, you should not be recording videos with low battery. And I'll say it again, I'm at 13 minutes into a video, and the battery bar has barely moved... So the OP must have been taking a whole days worth of recording.

^ nice response
    Thank you. Glad I finally got through.

Some bike trails at Pikes Peak are over 26 miles. With an average speed of 4.4 mph. Can you do that math?
    LMAO as if that changes anything.
    06-17-10 01:38 PM
    And just for the record also, I'm taking a video right now, I'm at just about 10 minutes, and my battery bar has barely moved...
    Umm. You have your unit with your apps installed. Just because you have different rersults, does not mean someone else cannot have alternate results. Battery life is subjective, and you have no idea what is running in the back round on the OP's unit.

You see this all the time here. Someone will say "I'm having problems with something", the very next post states "works for me". Does that mean just because something works for someone it should work for all, or vice versa?
    06-17-10 01:40 PM
    Why would RIM waste time, money, and resources trying to figure out every scenario that people use their video recorders in. For the final time, you should not be recording videos with low battery. And I'll say it again, I'm at 13 minutes into a video, and the battery bar has barely moved... So the OP must have been taking a whole days worth of recording.
    Could you please be so kind to point out where the OP stated that he started recording with a low battery, please. I would like to see this statement.
    06-17-10 01:42 PM
    For the final time, you should not be recording videos with low battery.
    Why do you continue to assume the OP started recording with a low battery?

LMAO as if that changes anything.
    It's not surprising you don't understand why I posted that.

I'm actually sitting here at my desk shaking my head at how dense you are.
    06-17-10 01:43 PM
    Umm. You have your unit with your apps installed. Just because you have different rersults, does not mean someone else cannot have alternate results. Battery life is subjective, and you have no idea what is running in the back round on the OP's unit.

You see this all the time here. Someone will say "I'm having problems with something", the very next post states "works for me". Does that mean just because something works for someone it should work for all, or vice versa?
    No I understand that its not the same. But at least its a general idea. I don't get the greatest service in the building I'm in now, that right there should make up for any apps the OP has running in the background. And now that you even say that, not only managing your battery is part of the owners responsibility, so is closing the any open apps that youre not running. Neither of those things are RIMs responsibility. They give you the resources to make the decisions on your own.

Running on 20 minutes now.
    06-17-10 01:44 PM
    My God...you are an iddiot. I am truly embarrased for you.
    All of this name calling REALLY needs to cease!!!

I am embarrased to see a CrackBerry member such as yourself doing so.

Are you mature enough to have a discussion, or do you have a need to be banned from this site with reported posts?

EDIT: I also see you deleted your post. Waste of time since you were quoted... You should also consider taking hooked on phonics courses, as you cannot seem to spell the word "i-d-i-o-t", yourself.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 06-17-10 at 01:59 PM.
    06-17-10 01:47 PM
    Some bike trails at Pikes Peak are over 26 miles. With an average speed of 4.4 mph. Can you do that math?
    Wouldn't the OP need to do that math?
    06-17-10 01:49 PM
    Wouldn't the OP need to do that math?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wait............. HHAHAHAHAHA!
    06-17-10 01:51 PM
    No I understand that its not the same. But at least its a general idea. I don't get the greatest service in the building I'm in now, that right there should make up for any apps the OP has running in the background.
    OK. But, even though your signal may be crappy, it does not mean that it is the equivalent to what is going on in the OP's unit. He is in the mountains, which is enough to kill a battery in itself. It may be a close comparison, but I don't think it is enough evidence to suggest that your results should compare to his.
    And now that you even say that, not only managing your battery is part of the owners responsibility, so is closing the any open apps that youre not running. Neither of those things are RIMs responsibility. They give you the resources to make the decisions on your own.
    I have always agreed with this....
    Running on 20 minutes now.
    Nice.
    06-17-10 01:53 PM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    06-17-10 01:56 PM
    Maybe the OP had his antenna off to save battery. Maybe he was focusing on the trail instead of the phone.

Anyway, OP, if you still bother to check this argument of a thread, have you tried any recovery software on your card? I had a digital camera that lost power while writing an image one time and it screwed up that image and some others when I tried to copy it to my computer normally. I used the software and got all my pics back, even the damaged one- it just had a gray bar across the bottom.
    06-17-10 01:58 PM
    Ok how about this...

I was just doing that test, I was on 33 minutes (with only 1 battery bar gone) and I got a phone call. Take a wild guess what happened? Yes, it stopped the video and saved it. BUT I was no longer able to continue... Which means if someone was recording something crazy, like a one of a kind situation, anyone be screwed if someone tried calling them.

So put that in your pipes and smoke it! haha
    06-17-10 02:06 PM
    ^ except, you know... the OP didn't receive a call.
    06-17-10 02:14 PM
    Ok how about this...

I was just doing that test, I was on 33 minutes (with only 1 battery bar gone) and I got a phone call. Take a wild guess what happened? Yes, it stopped the video and saved it.
    Cool. I was always under the impression that the BB did this already, but never encountered the situation myself. Thanks for the confirmation regarding incoming phone calls. But, to compare with the OP's findings, could you try the same, but with a shut down due to low battery life as opposed to a phone call? Very curious if the BB will actually not save it with a low battery as the OP stated, or if it was user error that prevented it from being saved.
    BUT I was no longer able to continue... Which means if someone was recording something crazy, like a one of a kind situation, anyone be screwed if someone tried calling them.
    Wow. Never knew this situation would be. Nice find.
    So put that in your pipes and smoke it! haha
    Unlike Clinton, I already inhaled... lol. Nice to know.

I will try to reproduce the battery low scenario above, but I dare not try it until it is time to fall alseep, because I need my unit during the day.
    06-17-10 02:17 PM
    Right, but I still gonna stick to the fact I was 33 minutes in and only 1 bar missing. So I'm still lead to believe the op started the video with insufficient (not empty or low, just insufficient) amount of battery. Whether it was middle, low or too low, theres almost no excuse for running out of battery during a recording.

Especially as I said, they probably put the battery icon in the video for this exact reason. If you also notice, they didn't put the battery icon in the camera, b/c obviously the camera doesnt need to much battery or constant recording.
    06-17-10 02:23 PM
    I have no idea if the OP started recording with a low battery to begin with, so I cannot make any assumptions as you do. I also do not know what apps that may have been running in the backround that could have contributed to the loss of battery life. The OP needs to chime in here for everyone to have a better understanding.

I also must continue to say that I believe it is not unreasonable to have the BB stop the video recorder, and save any video taken up until that point, when it is getting ready to shut down for the lack of battery power.
    06-17-10 02:32 PM
    I also must continue to say that I believe it is not unreasonable to have the BB stop the video recorder, and save any video taken up until that point, when it is getting ready to shut down for the lack of battery power.
    This is the point. I don't understand why certain people here DO find it unreasonable. It's actually mind boggling.
    06-17-10 02:44 PM
    Damn the Video Camera really kills the battery! I just recorded Mexico Goal against France and damn what a nice goal that was!
    06-17-10 02:54 PM
    This is the point. I don't understand why certain people here DO find it unreasonable. It's actually mind boggling.
    +1000! It is very mind boggling...

No one can understand this simple function but look at what functions/features people have endorsed in this thread which is a sticky at the top of the 9700 forums...
    "Any news on the 9700 getting OS 6.0?"

I think RIM should come out with RAM slots for their next BOLD or whateva, so we can all upgrade our RAM and maybe CPU, or Vid Card, just like our pc's.

Take it to the next level RIM dont fall behind!

I wannna upgrade my RAM to 2gb!
    Which was quoted with this statement...
    DING! DING! DING! You got the trifecta!!! woooo! I KNEW you could do it!

Congratulations!
    Wow.
    06-17-10 03:03 PM
    You can't take anything that shacknews says seriously.

But as you guys find it mind boggling, I find it mind boggling that people blame RIM for their misfortunes.

Maybe they should add this "feature" so the people that choose to ignore the simple fact that you're not supposed to run the battery that low, can have their precious cut-off video saved.
    06-17-10 03:07 PM
    But as you guys find it mind boggling, I find it mind boggling that people blame RIM for their misfortunes .
    I have always agreed with this. Just because a feature is not present, does not make the unit flawed. It's NOT RIM's fault.

Maybe they should add this "feature" so the people that choose to ignore the simple fact that you're not supposed to run the battery that low, can have their precious cut-off video saved.
    I hope this is added as well, but not for the reasons you mention. It should just be included as a fail-safe. If a user is unable to see that the battery is low, such as being attached to a part of the body that can't be accessed while biking, driving, or for any other reason, it should have this fail-safe.
    06-17-10 03:18 PM
    06-17-10 03:25 PM
    I hope this is added as well, but not for the reasons you mention. It should just be included as a fail-safe. If a user is unable to see that the battery is low, such as being attached to a part of the body that can't be accessed while biking, driving, or for any other reason, it should have this fail-safe.
    Well thats why I said what I said before. When looking at the screen of the video while aiming the camera, they put the battery icon there (unlike the regular camera). Anyone looking at the screen can clearly see the icon, regardless of what they're doing. And I say regardless of what they're doing b/c its almost impossible to record anything without actually looking at the screen. And if you can look at the screen you're recording, you can easily look up 1 inch to see the icon at the top that will indicate whether its coming up on the time to save the video yourself.
    06-17-10 03:25 PM
    Well thats why I said what I said before. When looking at the screen of the video while aiming the camera, they put the battery icon there (unlike the regular camera). Anyone looking at the screen can clearly see the icon, regardless of what they're doing. And I say regardless of what they're doing b/c its almost impossible to record anything without actually looking at the screen. And if you can look at the screen you're recording, you can easily look up 1 inch to see the icon at the top that will indicate whether its coming up on the time to save the video yourself.
    All of what you say is true... No argument there if the BB is held within a hand.

I also am assuming a positive, where the OP looked at the battery level prior to his descent.

But, if the unit is then mounted on a helmet, or upon the chest for that matter, how can someone see this??? You keep forgetting, or choose not to understand, that the OP is riding a bike down a rocky mountain trail. The handle bars have to be controlled by both hands, so the unit cannot be checked from that moment forward. There is no way to see this, but I guess you obviously disagree with that statement.
    06-17-10 03:37 PM
    No, I do agree that if you had the camera attached to your body or helmet than you're right you would not be able to see it.

But in all fairness, now you're assuming. I really would like to know the exact situation from the OP. I think it would be quite difficult to attach this phone to a helmet or a bike or even your body. Especially taking into consideration that a bike can be extremely bumpy and they risk the chance of it becoming detached and falling are huge. Not saying there isn't someone out there that can do this, but I find it hard to believe. That would also mean they're not even focusing on anything b/c they have no idea what they're pointing at. Which is safe to assume if they did do that, then they're only capturing the super bumpy ground moving fast and a ton of shakiness. Which again, I find hard to believe someone would even attempt this.
    06-17-10 03:49 PM
154 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD