My 2 cents, dumb people shouldn't own smartphones, so my advice is next time take your dumb iphone to record your video and see how it goes.
    What is going on with all of this name calling?... Not cool in general or public forums. I'm sure you must know that this actually is a personal sign of the term in which you are calling others.
    Anyway...
    LOL. As someone else mentioned, it would be pretty much a guarantee that the "IBone" battery would die very early...
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 06-17-10 at 11:08 AM.
    06-17-10 11:05 AM
    Dont hold RIM responsible for your screw up
    06-17-10 11:07 AM
    Let's briefly summarize:

a) User is responsible for the battery level
    - add endless insults to user's intelligence
    b) RIM should handle this elegantly, saving before shutting down
    - add endless "no way Dude, RIM is the best!" comments
    - add more insults

I think that's about it, right?
    06-17-10 11:37 AM
    Look, I'm an IT guy. I make sure people are responsible for saving their work. There is nothing worse than getting yelled at because someone is up against a deadline, worked on a Word Doc for 3 days without saving changes, and their PC locks up, corrupting the auto-save version of the file in their TEMP folder... and somehow it's MY FAULT they lost the work. Heck, if they had at least worked form the network share they were supposed to, I might be able to get the volume shadow copy and at worse, they would have only lost the last hours work.

I'm sorry you lost your video file. But, in the end, the only person responsible is the person recording the video and not looking at the battery meter. I mean, who's fault is it if you run out of memory to finish the video??

You do realize that, when you stop recording, the device has to close out the file. If the battery goes DEAD while it's still recording, it can't close out the file.

Here's something that might be too late for you... the file is there, just not finalized (Unless you've overwritten it). Take the Memory card out of the BB, and put it in a card reader. Download the free program "Recuva" (Google it) and do a deep scan of the memory card. If you can get the raw data file over to your PC, you should be able to import it into a video editing program and save it out.

I can give you advice, but no pity.

I do not blame my Mustang if I get a speeding ticket.
    I do not blame my BlackBerry if I talk over my minutes and get a large cell phone bill.
    I do not blame my camera if I delete a file from the memory card by mistake.
    I do not blame the maker of my coffee pot if I over fill it and it makes a mess on the counter.
    I do not blame the maker of my light bulbs if I forget to pay the power bill and the lights get turned off.
    I am an adult. I take responsibility for my own actions. And, if I'm recording something IMPORTANT, I make sure that I have plenty of power, and if it's really important, I use my video camera, not a cell phone.

Maybe I should Blame SONY because some **** kicked over the tri-pod at my nieces sweet 16 party and caused me to miss her getting honored by the Marine Corps for collecting several thousand toys for "Toys For Tots" instead of letting people buy her gifts this year? (Sorry, I'm proud of her for that! She's more mature than most people. Especially people that can't take responsibility for their own actions.)
    06-17-10 11:51 AM
    Applause!!
    06-17-10 11:59 AM
    I'm amazed at how many people are missing the point of the OPs post.

When your phone's battery becomes too low for radio use, the OS turns off the radio to conserve energy.

Now... replace... "radio use" with "video recording" and "turns off the radio" with "stop recording and saves the video" -- and you have what he's saying.

And he's right. It's the same thing. RIM should have realized this.
    06-17-10 12:12 PM
    Let's briefly summarize:

I think that's about it, right?
    I'll fix it for you.

a) OP posts a rant about RIM for a feature that was never promised
    on their device, so he/she is really mad!!

b) User is responsible for the battery level
    - add endless insults to user's intelligence
    c) RIM should handle this elegantly, saving before shutting down
    - add endless "no way Dude, RIM is the best!" comments
    - add more insults
    06-17-10 12:18 PM
    I'm amazed at how many people are missing the point of the OPs post.

When your phone's battery becomes too low for radio use, the OS turns off the radio to conserve energy.

Now... replace... "radio use" with "video recording" and "turns off the radio" with "stop recording and saves the video" -- and you have what he's saying.

And he's right. It's the same thing. RIM should have realized this.
    I believe that is incorrect. It doesn't disable the radio to conserve energy, its disables the radio b/c it just simply can't grab a signal with low enough battery....

You're also forgetting that low battery with a disabled radio doesn't tell you when its actually going to SHUT OFF. The number of minutes widely varies from the time you get that message to the time it actually turns off. So with a low battery, the OP shouldn't have been recording in the first place.

As with anything, like buyer beware - "recorder beware".
    06-17-10 12:25 PM
    oh... can't forget this one...

d) extra joy of having post counts go up!
    06-17-10 12:28 PM
    I believe that is incorrect. It doesn't disable the radio to conserve energy, its disables the radio b/c it just simply can't grab a signal with low enough battery....
    What's the difference? The point is that it recognizes when it can no longer use the radio due to insufficient battery.

You're also forgetting that low battery with a disabled radio doesn't tell you when its actually going to SHUT OFF. The number of minutes widely varies from the time you get that message to the time it actually turns off. So with a low battery, the OP shouldn't have been recording in the first place.
    You're still missing the point. The OS should stop the recording and save the video BEFORE the phone completely shuts off due to low battery. It shouldn't matter if it takes 10 seconds or 10 minutes to completely shut off. When the OS recognizes it doesn't have enough battery -- it should stop recording and save the video.

The OS recognizes when battery is too low to use the radio, it's probably an extra few lines of code to shutdown and save the video, too.
    06-17-10 12:29 PM
    That is just a ridiculous suggestion tho... If you're in the middle of recording a video and it abruptly stops (and saves) due to loss of battery, the video isn't complete anyways... so what would be the point of that? Certainly whatever it is your recording, it will be either too late and you missed it, or you will have to start all over again! So AGAIN ITS UP TO THE PERSON RECORDING TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EFFICIENT AMOUNT OF BATTERY LEFT!

AGAIN, REALIZE THAT THESE PHONES ARE NOT DESIGNED TO RUN OUT OF BATTERY. THAT STATEMENT ALONE SHOULD BE THE END OF THIS DISCUSSION.

The OS recognizes when battery is too low to use the radio, it's probably an extra few lines of code to shutdown and save the video, too.
    Then in theory, you would think there would be a message that says "even though its common sense not to use your phone with a low battery, your battery is too low to use the camera".
    Last edited by Pi Guy 3.14; 06-17-10 at 12:41 PM.
    06-17-10 12:37 PM
    Blackberry 9700 has video recording? Awwwwwww yeahhh!!11
    06-17-10 12:41 PM
    It is a known fact that the BB will shut down the radio if the battery reaches less than 10% in order to save the life of the battery. It is not healthy for a battery to be discharged to such low points. NOT because it cannot retrieve a signal.

I also still do not understand why people are assuming that the OP started his recording with a low battery to begin with. People just keep saying this over and over, with no proof of this. The OP NEVER stated this. Maybe he had a full battery when starting down the trail.

Why do people keep saying the OP should check his battery level as it is getting low??? How can this be done while riding down a mountainside?

In addition, some things cannot be re-recorded. Sometimes you may not have a video recorder with you. The BB is just a vehicle to get the immediate "moment in time" so to speak. If not, why was it added to the units?

All in All... People may disagree with the OP's battery management techniques, but the bottom line is... Doesn't everyone here think this feature should be included? If not, why?
    06-17-10 12:58 PM
    That is just a ridiculous suggestion tho... If you're in the middle of recording a video and it abruptly stops (and saves) due to loss of battery, the video isn't complete anyways... so what would be the point of that?
    Are you serious with that question? Well if you are, I'll give you the completely obvious answer.... "So you don't lose WHAT YOU ALREADY RECORDED."

Certainly whatever it is your recording, it will be either too late and you missed it, or you will have to start all over again! So AGAIN ITS UP TO THE PERSON RECORDING TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EFFICIENT AMOUNT OF BATTERY LEFT!
    ..... or... you know... If you're in that situation -- the phone would have saved everything that you already recorded because the phone recognized it was too low on battery to continue recording, stopped the video, and saved it.

AGAIN, REALIZE THAT THESE PHONES ARE NOT DESIGNED TO RUN OUT OF BATTERY. THAT STATEMENT ALONE SHOULD BE THE END OF THIS DISCUSSION.
    Really? That's your logic? Cars aren't designed to run out of gas, but we still have a Fuel Gauge and E light that comes on. People's phones die on them all the time. Sometimes they forget their charger. Sometimes they have a busy day and use it more than ordinarily. IT HAPPENS. That's why phone manufacturers program these fail-safes into the phone.

Then in theory, you would think there would be a message that says "even though its common sense not to use your phone with a low battery, your battery is too low to use the camera"
    Did you intentionally not read the OP's post? Is your straw-man that he started video recording with low battery? Do you understand that he was biking down a mountain. Did it ever occur to you that he started with full battery, and he spent a couple hours biking down the mountain and the phone's battery drained? Do you think he stopped every few minutes to check the battery level of his phone? Are you seriously serious right now?

It's called a fail-safe for a reason. The Operating System is more than capable of letting you know that it's low on battery and protecting itself. RIM failed at adding the extra fail-safe for video recording. I don't understand why you are having such a hard time getting why this is something that should be included.
    Last edited by nemoid; 06-17-10 at 01:06 PM.
    06-17-10 01:02 PM
    I just don't get it. Why is everyone jumping all over the OP's post?

I agree with MissGerman and Hammerhand...

Look, some of these posts are funny, such as saying it's a video camera that happens to have a phone... lol.

IMO, some of these posts seem to be out of line... Such as asking what would happen if your computer suddenly lost power (intentionally), or smashing a phone against a wall.

The OP did not shut off power, or remove the battery to the BB voluntarily. A PC will save any open unfinished documents if shut down properly. Which the OP is expecting from the BB. I also say that smashing a unit against a wall whether fully charged or not will result in video not being saved. A broken unit will not save anything. Wasted post IMO.

To all of those stating that the OP should have had a charged battery, or not let it get too low to begin with... I did not read anything in the OP's post indicating... "Well, I started with a low battery to begin with"... These people are assuming a negative. Personally I am assuming a positive (like Hammerhand) in which the OP had a fully charged battery when he started down the mountain.

I think I saw only 2 posts that seemed reasonable or provided any kind of solution. One person states that they have never tried the video camera that much to see this happen, and was willing to check it out, the other stated to turn the video camera light off during recording to save battery life. All the others just seem to want to get a post count up by jumping on the band wagon with useless demeaning posts. IMO.

Does anyone have any information on the maximum recording time is for the OP's BB? With or without a video light? Does anyone know how long it takes to ride down Pike's Peak? Hey, I'm from the city, but I would think it may take a while to get to the bottom. Maybe someone could provide answers/solutions rather than stating the OP is ******** or stupid. That doesn't make these CrackBerry veterans look too good.

There are people who are stating he should have brought a charger with him, or checked his battery life before it got too low. How was the OP supposed to charge his BB, or check his remaining battery life while riding down a rocky mountain? Talk about using a phone while driving.... lol.

With that said, I happen to agree with the last sentence in TequilaAddict's post #8. It's not a flaw just because it is not included. Some phones do some things others don't. However, I do not think it is unreasonable for a video to be saved before the BB shuts down. Maybe it will be included in OS 6.

Flame if you choose. My 2 cents. That is all.
    i think you have a couple of flaws in your logic beginning with the pc example. a pc wont save your stuff if you voluntarily shut it down, it WILL PROMPT YOU IF YOU WANT TO SAVE OR NOT. the only reason computers save data when UNEXPECTEDLY SHUTTING DOWN is because it is assuming that you have a constant source of electricity and it is an emergency mechanism.but a phone has a finite source of electricity which is why you can SEE when your PHONE is getting low battery.

of course the op had to have started with either low battery or a faulty battery because i have never seen an immediate drop with battery even with long videos. it starts flashing when it gets low even! so why didnt he think about saving?! it would have warned him!

ultimately it is the op's fault
    06-17-10 01:05 PM
    You sound like a broken record.

Why would it drop the signal to save on battery life? What is the point of that? Once you have no signal there really isnt a point of having a phone now is there?... It loses signal b/c there simply isn't enough battery to hold a signal. That is pretty standard.

I already answered all of your questions/concerns at least 3 times already. This should not be included b/c who in their right mind (except maybe the OP and less than 1% of people) would record anything with a low battery. Its assumed the OP started with a low battery, unless she was recording a 30 minute video, which I find very hard to believe.

If it stopped and saved the video, then the video is worthless! So what is the point of having that "feature?"
    06-17-10 01:07 PM
    i think you have a couple of flaws in your logic beginning with the pc example. a pc wont save your stuff if you voluntarily shut it down, it WILL PROMPT YOU IF YOU WANT TO SAVE OR NOT. the only reason computers save data when UNEXPECTEDLY SHUTTING DOWN is because it is assuming that you have a constant source of electricity and it is an emergency mechanism.but a phone has a finite source of electricity which is why you can SEE when your PHONE is getting low battery.
    Hmmm.... You need to read the post you just quoted...

"The OP did not shut off power, or remove the battery to the BB voluntarily. A PC will save any open unfinished documents if shut down properly. Which the OP is expecting from the BB."

Also, If the BB has 10% left of battery life, it is more than enough to save a video.
    of course the op had to have started with either low battery or a faulty battery because i have never seen an immediate drop with battery even with long videos. it starts flashing when it gets low even! so why didnt he think about saving?! it would have warned him!
    As I stated previously... Battery life is subjective. It depend on a lot of factors. Just because YOU have not seen something does not mean it does not exist. And, again, everyone seems to be skipping over the fact that he is riding a bike down a mountain!!! How is he supposed to see an led, or save a video file when doing so??? No one is answering this question.

ultimately it is the op's fault
    As I stated, I also agree with this statement. RIM has not included this feature as of yet. But, in all honesty, although I have not taken it to this extreme to find out for myself, I am just learning that it didn't already have this function myself.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 06-17-10 at 01:28 PM.
    06-17-10 01:16 PM
    Its assumed the OP started with a low battery, unless she was recording a 30 minute video, which I find very hard to believe.
    You're starting to get somewhere. You know what the problem when YOU assume something... right? You make an *** out of....

And again, you've proved that you haven't read the OP. Otherwise you would have seen:

I lost a great and long video of me biking down Pike's Peak in Colorado because of this.

So either you can't (or purposefully don't) read -- or you have no idea what Pike's Peak is....

Why is it hard for you to believe someone recorded a 30 minute video on their phone? Because YOU don't do that?

If it stopped and saved the video, then the video is worthless! So what is the point of having that "feature?"
    Would you rather have 30 minutes of your video with the end cut off, or would you rather have none of it?
    06-17-10 01:16 PM
    You sound like a broken record.
    I guess we are in the same boat then...
    Why would it drop the signal to save on battery life? What is the point of that? Once you have no signal there really isnt a point of having a phone now is there?... It loses signal b/c there simply isn't enough battery to hold a signal. That is pretty standard.?"
    I just did a search for "turn off radio to save battery life" while you guys were posting, and 257 results appeared. I read the first 5 thtreads, and everyone (including MODS) indicated that it is due to the health of the battery.

Also, I don't have time to find the exact paragraph now, but if you read the user manual it states so as well.
    I already answered all of your questions/concerns at least 3 times already. This should not be included b/c who in their right mind (except maybe the OP and less than 1% of people) would record anything with a low battery. Its assumed the OP started with a low battery, unless she was recording a 30 minute video, which I find very hard to believe.?"
    You actually have not answered my questions... Again... HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT THE OP WAS STARTING A RECORDING WITH A LOW BATTERY??? This is all negative asumption on your part.
    The point being that you have memorialized that moment in time, for as long as you could. This particular circumstance is not a baby being born where the end result would be a must to have. It is a bike ride down a hill. So, I understand the OP when he believes he should have been able to retain at least some of the video.
    06-17-10 01:26 PM
    Hey guess what everybody? There is this thing called a battery icon, it shows up when you go to your video recorder. Its always there, right in front of you to let YOU know when you have LOW BATTERY. Regardless of whether you started your video with a full battery or an empty battery. That icon is always there.

Anyone thats taking a video can clearly see that icon. If they ignore it, thats there fault.
    Last edited by Pi Guy 3.14; 06-17-10 at 01:32 PM.
    06-17-10 01:27 PM
    Hey guess what everybody? There is this thing called a battery icon, it shows up when you go to your video recorder. Its always there, right in front of you to let YOU know when you have LOW BATTERY.

Anyone thats taking a video can clearly see that icon. If they ignore it, thats there fault.
    Thank you!!!
    06-17-10 01:32 PM
    Hey guess what everybody? There is this thing called a battery icon, it shows up when you go to your video recorder. Its always there, right in front of you to let YOU know when you have LOW BATTERY.

OK. Once again. Too many assumptions here without thinking it through.
    How is the OP supposed to see an icon, or the BB screen for that matter, while riding down a rocky mountain trail????? Maybe he could see that it WAS full when he started, but depleted rapidly after his descent.

I could understand your assumption if he was standing still with the BB in his hand, but it must have been obviously attached to his body somewhere other than being held in his hand. I'm sure you would agree that he is holding the handlebars at the time of the descent, correct? Think about it my friend.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 06-17-10 at 01:36 PM.
    06-17-10 01:33 PM
    And just for the record also, I'm taking a video right now, I'm at just about 10 minutes, and my battery bar has barely moved...
    06-17-10 01:34 PM
    Hey guess what everybody? There is this thing called a battery icon, it shows up when you go to your video recorder. Its always there, right in front of you to let YOU know when you have LOW BATTERY. Regardless of whether you started your video with a full battery or an empty battery. That icon is always there.

^ nice response
    06-17-10 01:34 PM
    And just for the record also, I'm taking a video right now, I'm at just about 10 minutes, and my battery bar has barely moved...
    Some bike trails at Pikes Peak are over 26 miles. With an average speed of 4.4 mph. Can you do that math?
    06-17-10 01:37 PM
154 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD