The ATT website talks about 4G LTE phones, whereas the VZW website refers only to 4G VOLTE phones.

It may be that ATT, like VZW, will not allow any new customers with 4G LTE phones next year (in a few weeks), which is why I bought three BB Classic phones and am leaving VZW and moving them to ATT before the end of this year. As I said in a previous comment, the rules for existing customers are more flexible than for new customers, so I am racing to get these phones on the ATT network before the end of 2020.

FYI: In 2019, when I asked ATT about my 3G phones, they told me they had only recently gotten rid of 2G devices on their network, so it appears they are the most flexible of the carriers. I assume they want the customers that VZW is uninterested in not to mention the millions of non-phone devices. Only time will tell if I am right, crossing fingers.
    Did you even open my link? It specifically addresses the AT&T Classic and you can pick other devices as well.
    12-17-20 08:49 PM
    Yes: "One change we’re making is phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. Once we do, 3G devices and 4G wireless devices that don’t support HD Voice will no longer work on our network...You can continue to use your current phone until February 2022."

As I stated in my first comment, I am trying to make it til 2022 with these Classics, because hoping the new BBs come out in 2021. Also, I do not want any of the devices offered by ATT, but thanks for the tips!
    12-17-20 09:11 PM
    in Germany we can use this phones after the 3G EOL with 2G.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    12-19-20 02:52 PM
    Just trying to hold out for the 2021 BB, always the optimist!
    It will definitely also have a touchscreen, as with any smartphone ever made in the last 12 or so years.
    12-19-20 08:53 PM
    It will definitely also have a touchscreen, as with any smartphone ever made in the last 12 or so years.
    Lol, well, actually, @AA Byron's 9650 is right at 10 yrs old. "...or so...". Lol.

I consider 9650 the ultimate achievement of non-touch UX. It enjoyed THE best ever typing wpm under my thumb, at least. About 5% over exquisite 9900!! It also enjoyed the same gross RAM capacity as 9900 but didn't WASTE the 30% net usable RAM 9900 devoted to its touch UX stupidity. Stupidity that I, still to this day, shut OFF via a butchered lock app on this 9900. Just to prevent unintended touch nonsense distractions from "accidentally" intruding into critical work flow.

I've designed, configured, installed and implemented 100's of industrial touch UX HMI over several decades as part of my job description. ALL of those implementations still employ hardwired dry contact hardware pushbuttons for critical inputs like "E-Stop", etc. Frequently demanded by code, depending on jurisdiction. I also really, truly, vehemently, utterly DESPISE (!!!!) mobile touch UI as a ridiculously STUPID misapplication of the technology. !!! Lol. Don't ask what I REALLY think about EVERY so called "phone" available over these past 10 yrs... Did I mention that I really don't like touch UI "phones"? Hehe...

If 9650 had also shared 9900's 1.2GHz processor, it's what I'd be typing this on this minute. Alas, 9650 demands at least 3X the boot time of 9900's under 3 minute boot after battery swap. Since I power my REAL phones exclusively thru batt swaps, 9900 has been my go to for 9 yrs, now... But 9650 still commands a sweet spot in THIS old codger's heart...

Ya know what "they" say when ya start think'n EVERYone else is crazy! Lol.
    AA Byron likes this.
    12-27-20 02:48 AM
    12-27-20 12:28 PM
    Lol, can't claim much familiarity with "Kim"? Maybe she's also discovered Bold's enchanting charms empowering thumb to challenge tongue itself for access to cranial speech center? ??

Thought to thumb IS a "thang". Lol. A thang so few seem to appreciate the possibilities of, any more. A fabulous productivity multiplier that might not even manage an honorable mention in history? Once these Bolds truly succumb to scheduled euthanasia. Sad ending for such truly fabulous accomplishments of MOBILE communications.

Mobile = motion... Lol. Too bad Research in Motion forgot to research motion, 2013. Lol. By Mike's command? Because of a silly book he'd read?? Here we are... Lol.
    12-28-20 05:59 AM
    That was six years ago.... like most, she moved on.
    12-28-20 07:01 AM
    Lol, can't claim much familiarity with "Kim"? Maybe she's also discovered Bold's enchanting charms empowering thumb to challenge tongue itself for access to cranial speech center? ??

Thought to thumb IS a "thang". Lol. A thang so few seem to appreciate the possibilities of, any more. A fabulous productivity multiplier that might not even manage an honorable mention in history? Once these Bolds truly succumb to scheduled euthanasia. Sad ending for such truly fabulous accomplishments of MOBILE communications.

Mobile = motion... Lol. Too bad Research in Motion forgot to research motion, 2013. Lol. By Mike's command? Because of a silly book he'd read?? Here we are... Lol.
    Everything dies. However, I’d say BBOS has done so in dignity since it’s the one and only that generated positive cash flow and profits. Unfortunately, BB10 and BBAndroid never could duplicate it’s success in real life. How’s that eulogy?
    idssteve and AA Byron like this.
    12-28-20 07:20 AM
    That was six years ago.... like most, she moved on.
    It was probably just for attention that she proudly claimed to still dual carry her Curve.

If she were a true fan, she would dual carry a KEYBerry along with her iPhone.
    12-28-20 08:19 AM
    It was probably just for attention that she proudly claimed to still dual carry her Curve.

If she were a true fan, she would dual carry a KEYBerry along with her iPhone.
    I think she is like many.... she was a true fan when the product delivered an experience that meet her needs. But she wasn't going to go out of her way just to use a product that didn't deliver and evolving better experience.

PKB might be useful at times, but it's not worth dual carrying for most of us. And no PKB phone delivers the "experience" that most of us want today. Top of the line camera, great quality screen......
    12-28-20 08:30 AM
    I think she is like many.... she was a true fan when the product delivered an experience that meet her needs. But she wasn't going to go out of her way just to use a product that didn't deliver and evolving better experience.

PKB might be useful at times, but it's not worth dual carrying for most of us. And no PKB phone delivers the "experience" that most of us want today. Top of the line camera, great quality screen......
    I think the Android 8 powered KEY phones would have delivered a more complete experience in 2017+ than the BBOS7 Bold or Curve did for her in 2015 or so.
    12-28-20 08:40 AM
    Everything dies. However, I’d say BBOS has done so in dignity since it’s the one and only that generated positive cash flow and profits. Unfortunately, BB10 and BBAndroid never could duplicate it’s success in real life. How’s that eulogy?
    A fitting eulogy, I'd say. From 30,000 ft perspective at least. From thumb level perspective? Maybe my thumbs are dumb but I've told them to "move on" for 8+ yrs... They just don't understand... Lol.

My thumbs just don't understand that they're supposed to get "more" done with the newer stuff... I keep telling my poor old abused arthritic thumbs that "everyone" types faster & better on "modern" monster slabs. Despite superhuman effort on newer "better" stuff. Dumb thumbs just never manage to get faster, while in motion, on the "modern monsters"... What's wrong MY thumbs? ?? Lol.

Yes, modern monsters do more things than old Bolds. More of things many of us legacy hold outs NEVER asked for and never wanted. Still don't.

If modern stuff ADDed functionality, without sacrificing other valued functionality, we could at least consider THAT win-win to be a genuine technological advancement. Simply shifting functional priorities is NOT equivalent to ADDing functionality. Just trading priorities...

"Moving on" should prove an improvement. When onward represents downward, where's the rationality in choosing onward?

Unless our "choice" is one we can't refuse... Here we are... Lol.

Thing about a eulogy... Sometimes we wish we would've learned a little more before ultimate demise. There's still time to learn potentially valuable lessons from a fabulously exquisite experience... Even during final breaths...
    playfoot likes this.
    12-28-20 08:47 AM
    A fitting eulogy, I'd say. From 30,000 ft perspective at least. From thumb level perspective? Maybe my thumbs are dumb but I've told them to "move on" for 8+ yrs... They just don't understand... Lol.

My thumbs just don't understand that they're supposed to get "more" done with the newer stuff... I keep telling my poor old abused arthritic thumbs that "everyone" types faster & better on "modern" monster slabs. Despite superhuman effort on newer "better" stuff. Dumb thumbs just never manage to get faster, while in motion, on the "modern monsters"... What's wrong MY thumbs? ?? Lol.

Yes, modern monsters do more things than old Bolds. More of things many of us legacy hold outs NEVER asked for and never wanted. Still don't.

If modern stuff ADDed functionality, without sacrificing other valued functionality, we could at least consider THAT win-win to be a genuine technological advancement. Simply shifting functional priorities is NOT equivalent to ADDing functionality. Just trading priorities...

"Moving on" should prove an improvement. When onward represents downward, where's the rationality in choosing onward?

Unless our "choice" is one we can't refuse... Here we are... Lol.

Thing about a eulogy... Sometimes we wish we would've learned a little more before ultimate demise. There's still time to learn potentially valuable lessons from a fabulously exquisite experience... Even during final breaths...
    You have to let go..... BlackBerry did four years ago. BBMo and OM, are not BlackBerry.

I'm not sure Android can do all you want. But the odds that that group designing the new OM phone hits on what you want, and ignores what KEY owners want and what Passport owners want..... niches within niches.

I am surprised there isn't someone like Honeywell offering a industrial handheld device..... for thousand per unit.
    12-28-20 10:06 AM
    You have to let go..... BlackBerry did four years ago. BBMo and OM, are not BlackBerry.

I'm not sure Android can do all you want. But the odds that that group designing the new OM phone hits on what you want, and ignores what KEY owners want and what Passport owners want..... niches within niches.

I am surprised there isn't someone like Honeywell offering a industrial handheld device..... for thousand per unit.
    Yep. No choice but to ultimately "let go". A choice we can't refuse? Lol. Unfortunately, the work product this marvelous Bold assists to generate won't let ME go... Lol.

I could grudgingly let go of a 5 or 10% typing handicap when forced. As with Z/Q from 99 back in 2013. To let go of 40-60% of my daily productivity from 99 to K is tough to swallow, tho. Tougher for dear clients, colleagues and coworkers to lose 40-60% of my daily contribution. Lol. Toughest to choke down quietly, without at least registering displeasure. Who would? ??

Despite "retirement", my backlog grows daily with 99 in hand. Too many "youngsters" have already grown impatient waiting for my input and acted on erroneous assumptions. Forcing some expensive and embarrassing field design "fixes". "Fixes" that could've been avoided had I been able to timely share some subtle details learned thru hard won experience. Just not enough minutes in a day. Even with Agent99 on the job...lol. With "modern" stuff in hand, compounding a 40-60% daily productivity deficit proves a quantifiable handicap. For a few of us, at least. Lol.

We interact with Honeywell routinely. Never thought to approach them about mobile possibilities... Hmm...
    12-28-20 11:27 AM
    Yep. No choice but to ultimately "let go". A choice we can't refuse? Lol. Unfortunately, the work product this marvelous Bold assists to generate won't let ME go... Lol.

I could grudgingly let go of a 5 or 10% typing handicap when forced. As with Z/Q from 99 back in 2013. To let go of 40-60% of my daily productivity from 99 to K is tough to swallow, tho. Tougher for dear clients, colleagues and coworkers to lose 40-60% of my daily contribution. Lol. Toughest to choke down quietly, without at least registering displeasure. Who would? ??

Despite "retirement", my backlog grows daily with 99 in hand. Too many "youngsters" have already grown impatient waiting for my input and acted on erroneous assumptions. Forcing some expensive and embarrassing field design "fixes". "Fixes" that could've been avoided had I been able to timely share some subtle details learned thru hard won experience. Just not enough minutes in a day. Even with Agent99 on the job...lol. With "modern" stuff in hand, compounding a 40-60% daily productivity deficit proves a quantifiable handicap. For a few of us, at least. Lol.

We interact with Honeywell routinely. Never thought to approach them about mobile possibilities... Hmm...
    I think I head Dunt in the past mentioning Honeywell but I forget...and I think you were supposed to follow up, but I forget.

I’m the young one at 50 y/o and this sucks.....
    12-28-20 01:19 PM
    I think I head Dunt in the past mentioning Honeywell but I forget...and I think you were supposed to follow up, but I forget.

I’m the young one at 50 y/o and this sucks.....
    Now that you mention, I vaguely recall that... Totally forgot, tho. Just never rose to adequate priority at the right time... Lol.

@50, you're a youngster! Lol. That sorta thing doesn't get better with age, either. Lol. Which is why real time action/reaction gets so important with age. Too many times a 5 minute delay becomes eternal. Lol. Too many times a .5 second distraction derails an entire concept... Which is why I must prefer minimally distracting tools... Like Agent99...

Now... what was that I was planning to follow up on? ?? Lol.
    12-28-20 02:37 PM
    Now that you mention, I vaguely recall that... Totally forgot, tho. Just never rose to adequate priority at the right time... Lol.

@50, you're a youngster! Lol. That sorta thing doesn't get better with age, either. Lol. Which is why real time action/reaction gets so important with age. Too many times a 5 minute delay becomes eternal. Lol. Too many times a .5 second distraction derails an entire concept... Which is why I must prefer minimally distracting tools... Like Agent99...

Now... what was that I was planning to follow up on? ?? Lol.
    What?!? I’m back now... I forgot where I set this down
    12-28-20 06:03 PM
    What?!? I’m back now... I forgot where I set this down
    Lol... That's one reason why, excepting shower time, Agent99 NEVER leaves my person. Too easy to forget where I last left her... Lol.

Diminutive dimensions combined with powering thru batt swaps permits her to sleep in left hand... Vibration first can wake me before ringer wakes wife... Wife typically hears vib also but.... Lol.

Far too easy to set my gigantic monsters down while living life. ... An old timer's forgetful life... Lol.
    12-28-20 07:38 PM
    I am still using my 9930 and there are a number of texts and attachments I can't open here in the US with verizon. I think they are mostly from modern iphones but it is an issue. I am trying to go to a classic for a while.
    12-31-20 02:52 AM
    Sounds like I am in trouble. I am using a 9930 and VZW on a family plan. Would like to activate a classic I bought. I don't know the difference between LTE and VoLTE and had hoped to continue with VZW and the classic which they would have activated as of a few months ago. SOunds like I may have to switch carriers to use the classic. What is the difference between LTE and VoLTE and how willthat affect device function? My usual uses are phone, txt, email with multiple gmails, Have a work iphone which i use for other apps but love the keyboard and size of the BB. Thanks for helping a computer semiliterate guy like me.
    12-31-20 03:09 AM
    Sounds like I am in trouble. I am using a 9930 and VZW on a family plan. Would like to activate a classic I bought. I don't know the difference between LTE and VoLTE and had hoped to continue with VZW and the classic which they would have activated as of a few months ago. SOunds like I may have to switch carriers to use the classic. What is the difference between LTE and VoLTE and how willthat affect device function? My usual uses are phone, txt, email with multiple gmails, Have a work iphone which i use for other apps but love the keyboard and size of the BB. Thanks for helping a computer semiliterate guy like me.
    First off, if you have the VZW Classic, it’s not optimized for AT&T since back in 2015, for 3G voice calls/text/data, VZW=CDMA while AT&T=GSM, and LTE doesn’t use identical frequencies either.

So for AT&T, you’ll really want the AT&T branded Classic but wait, there’s more. In one year, Feb 2022, AT&T will be last in USA turning off 3G service. The need for VoLTE support is the next hurdle since LTE=data pipe and VoLTE=Voice over LTE for telephone conversations. Nothing BBOS or BB10 are listed as supported for any USA carrier since BBOS doesn’t support LTE and BB10 VoLTE protocols are 8-9 years old at minimum.

AT&T will continue VoLTE support for the AT&T PRIV and the AT&T KEYone but not for the factory unlocked PRIV or factory unlocked KEYone according to official AT&T lists on their website. On the VZW side, I suppose the VZW branded PRIV and the VZW branded Key2 LE are the only possible supported devices.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 12-31-20 at 06:58 AM.
    12-31-20 06:42 AM
    I'm not sure if Verizon is really shutting down 3G now.... sounds like they are keeping it up till 2022 for IoT devices. But have no idea if they'll keep supporting existing phones that long or not.

They are not activating new BB10 or BBOS devices, but if you have them working now.... maybe they'll keep working till the BlackBerry shutdown.
    01-05-21 08:43 AM
    I still use my BB Bold and I love it. I mean the camera is not the best. But I have this phone for years now and I just wanted one with a good keyboard as sending emails is the main thing I with my phone.
    01-20-21 01:35 PM
    I still use my BB Bold and I love it. I mean the camera is not the best. But I have this phone for years now and I just wanted one with a good keyboard as sending emails is the main thing I with my phone.
    Which is fine.... till your carrier ends 3G or BIS gets turned off next year. Whichever happens 1st.

The clock is ticking...
    01-21-21 07:33 AM
78 1234