The battery life benefit makes perfect sense, provided you can find a good battery.

I've never done it, but other people have said that some of the information on my site works with OS6. Check it out: http://darkstar.x10host.com/nibble/
    I was reading that email is not recommended for security reasons. Thats fair enough.

If I use gmail through the browser for email, will that still pose the same security risk as an email app on these phones?
    10-21-20 03:01 PM
    I just grabbed a new Bold 9790 off eBay. Should get it mid-week.

I know, it's an OS7 phone. I never owned one before, just the Bold 9900. I am happy the camera has autofocus. The lack of autofocus was my only complaint with the 9900. Couldn't take pictures of documents.

Can't wait to see how the phone feels and what I can / can't do with it.

It would be cool if there were a way a consumer could create their own BIS/BES to push out emails. I know that won't happen, but would be neat if there were a digital detox revolution pushing that.
    If I remember correctly, the speaker on the 9790 was pretty good quality. I liked that phone a lot. Looking forward to hearing how you can make it work for you.
    10-21-20 03:06 PM
    I was reading that email is not recommended for security reasons. Thats fair enough.

If I use gmail through the browser for email, will that still pose the same security risk as an email app on these phones?
    If you using the browser, no there is no client involved.... but then you don't have notifications.
    10-21-20 03:30 PM
    If you using the browser, no there is no client involved.... but then you don't have notifications.
    Very good point.

Depending how I plan on using the 9790, a lack of email notifications might be okay. If I'm doing the digital detox correctly, this should be good. Lol
    10-21-20 03:40 PM
    Very good point.

Depending how I plan on using the 9790, a lack of email notifications might be okay. If I'm doing the digital detox correctly, this should be good. Lol
    But then why not get a modern feature phone that has better phone call and texting capabilities? HD Voice over VOLTE and RCS adds a lot to the quality of even a basic solution.

I get unplugging for social media.... but the benefits of tools available on a smartphone, I can't imagine not having those. Assistant, Maps, Health Tracker, Touch Free Payment, Reward Card, Smart Home Device Controls...

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram like my wife.... she keeps my up on what's going on with the family. But without here I'd need to know how the grandkids are doing. Do use SLACK and WhatsApp.... but those are for work mostly.
    10-21-20 04:00 PM
    But then why not get a modern feature phone that has better phone call and texting capabilities? HD Voice over VOLTE and RCS adds a lot to the quality of even a basic solution.

I get unplugging for social media.... but the benefits of tools available on a smartphone, I can't imagine not having those. Assistant, Maps, Health Tracker, Touch Free Payment, Reward Card, Smart Home Device Controls...

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram like my wife.... she keeps my up on what's going on with the family. But without here I'd need to know how the grandkids are doing. Do use SLACK and WhatsApp.... but those are for work mostly.
    Don't want Android. Don't want iOS.
    10-21-20 06:28 PM
    are there any navigation apps left for BBOS devices? I suppose a dedicated GPS car unit could fill the void if there isn't.
    10-21-20 07:04 PM

I don't know if gmail will work through the stock browser any more. It seems doubtful -- and of course, nothing about OS7 is secure, including the browser, because nothing has been updated since 2014. Gmail might work with Opera Mini, but then you're sending your passwords and private data through Opera's proxy servers.

When I was last using the Bold 9900, I had my email forwarded to my phone as MMS messages through my cellular provider's email to text gateway, which allowed me to get almost immediate notifications. Doing that gets you incoming (but not outgoing) email.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-21-20 07:19 PM
    Don't want Android. Don't want iOS.
    Feature phones aren’t really Android/iOS but running KaiOS which although partly supported by Google, is more like the old flip and candybar phones of mid 00s where you set up email through a basic client.
    10-21-20 10:13 PM

I get the concept of digital detox but still don't understand why a separate device is needed (obviously when someone is actually addicted to certain apps that is a different case)
    I have been using smartphone since 2010 or so, most of the time Facebook was never installed on my phone. I am not registered to any other social network (it also helps that Twitter is barely used in my country not that I would use it anyway)
    Moreover, most of the time I spend unproductively on the net is spent on websites like this, not social. So a device without apps would not reduce that.
    10-22-20 03:28 AM
    My goodness this thing is tiny!

I shall name him, Mini-me!!Older BlackBerry phones in 2020-img_20201021_182714_671.jpeg
    10-22-20 05:33 AM
    are there any navigation apps left for BBOS devices? I suppose a dedicated GPS car unit could fill the void if there isn't.
    I've found the dedicated car units to be vastly inferior to what is offered built in the car or anything on a smartphone.
    My recommendation is to pick up an old iPad/iPod Touch or even iPhone and install offline maps on it. It works way better and is less expensive than any standalone unit I could find

Posted via CB10
    10-31-20 11:47 AM
    I've found the dedicated car units to be vastly inferior to what is offered built in the car or anything on a smartphone.
    My recommendation is to pick up an old iPad/iPod Touch or even iPhone and install offline maps on it. It works way better and is less expensive than any standalone unit I could find

Posted via CB10
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all iPad's and iPod Touch have GPS built in.
    Last edited by DOCTOREVIL8; 10-31-20 at 03:57 PM.
    10-31-20 01:38 PM
    correct, but the newest one does its only $200 new. More functional than a GPS unit for sure but smaller screen. You can tether it too
    10-31-20 04:27 PM
    so... fill us in... how have you found using the new bb? most importantly, hows the battery life?? im on the old 9900 at the mo and really not enjoying how awful the battery life is, to the point that i have been thinking of downgrading to the 9700

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-09-20 08:02 AM
    so... fill us in... how have you found using the new bb? most importantly, hows the battery life?? im on the old 9900 at the mo and really not enjoying how awful the battery life is, to the point that i have been thinking of downgrading to the 9700

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Varies by use.... most find themselves doing more when they have devices with better capabilities. But if you stick to email, text and call, they should all get you well over a day or more.
    11-09-20 08:19 AM
    Still using my Bold 9650, it's a tank, has not failed in any way in 10 years...but what mobile carrier will activate a 3G Bold?

Serious question, VZW is tossing me off family plan in a few weeks and we all have Bolds. Will ATT still activate 3G devices and give us til 2022? (My plan is to hold out for new BBs in 2021)
    12-05-20 11:22 AM
    Still using my Bold 9650, it's a tank, has not failed in any way in 10 years...but what mobile carrier will activate a 3G Bold?

Serious question, VZW is tossing me off family plan in a few weeks and we all have Bolds. Will ATT still activate 3G devices and give us til 2022? (My plan is to hold out for new BBs in 2021)
    I don't think AT&T will at this point. Someone else had tried after the Sept deadline, and was not successful... but there is always an exception. Doesn't hurt to ask, and ask.

But with VZW, 2021 is two weeks away, so your holding out two more weeks?
    Have they contacted your or does your bill mention your phone isn't compliant? Haven't heard much recently about the Jan 1st shutdown.... maybe delayed again. Or maybe 99.99% of their users won't be affected at this point.
    12-17-20 10:42 AM
    - VZW has not notified me *in any way* that my ancient 3G Bolds will be tossed off their network end of year. Maybe they will delay it, maybe not, but they are shutting down 3G antennas all over NYC, so there is no choice.

- Took one of my Bolds to ATT store. All the staff, including the manager, tried (for 3 hours!) to get it on their network. Issue is that while ATT will not throw off current customers 3G phones til 2022 (or longer, who knows), no cell carrier will activate any 3G phone, not even for current customers (as I found out with VZW).

- Finally accepted the inevitable and bought a used BB Classic and took it to ATT this week, they got it their network. Best I understand, ATT will activate 4G LTE phones like the Classic, but VZW will only activate 4G VOLTE phones.

- Am not liking the BB Classic. At least it has the awesome BB keyboard and toolbelt, but I hate touchscreens, all of them. And I want to be able to put my most-used icons on my home screen and there does not seem to be easy way to do this on the Classic (something I could do on the Bold with one hand while walking and chewing gum), again because of the touchscreen.
    12-17-20 12:52 PM
    - VZW has not notified me *in any way* that my ancient 3G Bolds will be tossed off their network end of year. Maybe they will delay it, maybe not, but they are shutting down 3G antennas all over NYC, so there is no choice.

- Took one of my Bolds to ATT store. All the staff, including the manager, tried (for 3 hours!) to get it on their network. Issue is that while ATT will not throw off current customers 3G phones til 2022 (or longer, who knows), no cell carrier will activate any 3G phone, not even for current customers (as I found out with VZW).

- Finally accepted the inevitable and bought a used BB Classic and took it to ATT this week, they got it their network. Best I understand, ATT will activate 4G LTE phones like the Classic, but VZW will only activate 4G VOLTE phones.

- Am not liking the BB Classic. At least it has the awesome BB keyboard and toolbelt, but I hate touchscreens, all of them. And I want to be able to put my most-used icons on my home screen and there does not seem to be easy way to do this on the Classic (something I could do on the Bold with one hand while walking and chewing gum), again because of the touchscreen.
    You just need to give it time, in general it take a few months to really get use to a new OS. I might be a slow learner, but I'd say at least six months to get proficient. Which is why I hate that your wasting time on moving from BBOS to BB10. If the ending of 3G doesn't kill off the Classic next year, BlackBerry's shutting down of all service will greatly reduce it's capabilities. So a year from now you might be right back trying to learn another new OS.... and hating it for months more to come.

As for icons... you can move them around, create folder or put different type apps on their own home screen pages.... but maybe not while chewing gum and walking (even after six months).
    12-17-20 01:50 PM
    Classic is 4G LTE, so no concerns about the ending of 3G and ATT will give me at least til end of 2022. If VZW was not throwing off all three of my family plan Bolds end of this month, I would've held out for the new BB (hopefully) coming out next year, but had no choice. I assume I will learn to at least not hate the Classic, but still grieving for my Bold :-(

Thanks!
    12-17-20 03:42 PM
    Classic is 4G LTE, so no concerns about the ending of 3G and ATT will give me at least til end of 2022. If VZW was not throwing off all three of my family plan Bolds end of this month, I would've held out for the new BB (hopefully) coming out next year, but had no choice. I assume I will learn to at least not hate the Classic, but still grieving for my Bold :-(

Thanks!
    The Classic is unlikely to be compatible with AT&T's VoLTE. As such, it will lose talk and text when 3G is decommissioned.

You'll be fine with data though.
    12-17-20 05:30 PM
    Probably, but it still buys me another year to the end of 2022. VZW will throw me off end of this month and TM at the end of 2021...and ATT is the only carrier who would activate a 4G LTE right now. VZW said GFY - I am paraphrasing :-)

Just trying to hold out for the 2021 BB, always the optimist!
    12-17-20 05:43 PM
    Probably, but it still buys me another year to the end of 2022. VZW will throw me off end of this month and TM at the end of 2021...and ATT is the only carrier who would activate a 4G LTE right now. VZW said GFY - I am paraphrasing :-)

Just trying to hold out for the 2021 BB, always the optimist!
    What AT&T 4G LTE are you referring to end of 2022 on BB10 ? Last notice I got is VoLTE support is required no later than February 2022 and AT&T Classic not supported.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=RwQqv-EA
    12-17-20 08:06 PM
    The ATT website talks about 4G LTE phones, whereas the VZW website refers only to 4G VOLTE phones.

It may be that ATT, like VZW, will not allow any new customers with 4G LTE phones next year (in a few weeks), which is why I bought three BB Classic phones and am leaving VZW and moving them to ATT before the end of this year. As I said in a previous comment, the rules for existing customers are more flexible than for new customers, so I am racing to get these phones on the ATT network before the end of 2020.

FYI: In 2019, when I asked ATT about my 3G phones, they told me they had only recently gotten rid of 2G devices on their network, so it appears they are the most flexible of the carriers. I assume they want the customers that VZW is uninterested in not to mention the millions of non-phone devices. Only time will tell if I am right, crossing fingers.
    12-17-20 08:19 PM
78 1234