I currently have Apple iPad 2. And like we all know, iPad using USB Charger too. My question is. Is it okay we use iPad USB Charger to charge our BlackBerry Bold 9900?

Thanks
    08-22-11 07:56 PM
    Yes.

It is sir.
    jauhari likes this.
    08-22-11 08:01 PM
    Yes.

It is sir.
    Thanks... so USB Charger is compatible with iDevices family right...
    08-22-11 08:23 PM
    The charger is fine as long as you use the right cord.
    funnykindel likes this.
    08-22-11 08:24 PM
    Aren't you scared of catching something??
    ridesno159 and robtanz like this.
    08-22-11 08:39 PM
    The 9900 should charge faster though, since the iPad charger shoots a larger amount of power out. Same deal with the Playbook charger being used to charge any Blackberry phone. AFAIK.
    08-22-11 08:55 PM
    If your concerned then look at the output voltage on the charger and then look at the voltage output on a BB charger spec sheet. And yes the cable/connector on the charger should be standard USB and not some special Apple connector. I've been using a Motorola on my BB for 3 years, works fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jauhari likes this.
    08-22-11 09:02 PM
    Aren't you scared of catching something??
    Not Really
    08-22-11 09:30 PM
    The 9900 USB charger is rated 5VDC 0.75A and the iPad charger is 5.1VDC 2.1A. So you'd think it'd work... But when i plug my 9900 into the iPad charger it doesn't charge and it displays a pop-up "The charging source connected to your BlackBerry cannot charge your battery."

Any idea why? Don't tell me the difference between 5 and 5.1V is significant...
    08-25-11 03:48 AM
    I'm getting the same message on all of my chargers that I use for my 9700 Bold. The chargers also work very well on the Android phones. All of the chargers are rated for 750MA or greater. I hope RIM hasn't changed something just to sell more of their chargers.
    08-25-11 10:21 AM
    I had a 8900 that died a few days ago and am using a 9700 loaner until my 9900 arrives next week. That said, I am using the charger that came with the 8900 (5V @ 700mA) and it seems to work fine to charge the 9700 - also my PC's USB port works fine.

I tried my cars USB dual port charger and no go - apparently I need a 2.1A version which I can source locally. I just tried my iPad charger (5V @ 2.1 A) and nothing happens, no message, no lighting bolt, nada. I then tried a BB branded UBS to micro cord with the same results.

Should it not work or am I missing something? I looked online for 'charging' cables and all the links had charging/sync cables.

I assume I will have identical issues when my 9900 arrives next week.

Do you think I will be OK with a 2.1A USB charger for the car?
    Can I safely use the 2.1A car charger for iPhones, Jawbones and the like?
    Do you think the 2.1 A USB car charger will charge the 9900? I have been looking at getting this one http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=2701510
    Last edited by Jamesy_; 08-26-11 at 02:40 PM.
    08-26-11 02:18 PM
    Update on AC chargers for my 9700 (9900 is coming tomorrow and I suspect it will behave the same).

iPad wall charger = (Output 5.1VDC 2.1A) and sync/charger cable = No lighting bolt on BB battery indicator

iPhone 4 wall charger = (Output 5.1VDC 1A) and sync/charger cable = Lighting bolt on BB battery indicator and appears to charge fine

Kindle wall charger = (Output 4.9VDC 0.85A) and sync/charger cable = Lighting bolt on BB battery indicator and appears to charge fine

It is odd that the 2.1A iPad charger does not charge the BB. I ordered a 2.1A/1.0A car charger dual port USB charger from USBFever and time will tell if it works to charge the BB.

Any insight on this?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
    08-28-11 09:15 AM
    Playbook charger has (5VDC with 1.8A) and it charges fine. That's very similar to iPad charger I wonder why that won't work.
    08-28-11 11:09 PM
    The 9900 USB charger is rated 5VDC 0.75A and the iPad charger is 5.1VDC 2.1A. So you'd think it'd work... But when i plug my 9900 into the iPad charger it doesn't charge and it displays a pop-up "The charging source connected to your BlackBerry cannot charge your battery."

Any idea why? Don't tell me the difference between 5 and 5.1V is significant...
    Same here - ipad chargers wont work on BB's.
    08-29-11 12:09 AM
    lol,

I tried my psp go charger

5v 1500ma = it works.
    franbe likes this.
    08-29-11 12:34 AM
    Tried my iPod wall charger and it doesn't work :/ INQ charger rated at 5 V 400 mA worked out though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-11 11:15 PM
    I am experiencing the same issue with a car charger that has an output of 5 volts and 2.1 amps. It will not charge my 9930 or my Playbook. The Playbook rapid charger is a 2.0 amp unit so I am guessing that any charger over 2.0 amps will not work with Blackberry devices.
    10-15-11 11:52 PM
    If you do not use the exact specification or amps because you want to charge faster (higher amps like Playbook charger) or use a lower amps one just because of convince; in a long period of time, the battery may develop what some people call, "health issues". This include the battery lifespan (how many times you can charge and re-charge) going down due to not using the right amount of I, current.

In fact, RIM tried their best to disable the charge of Bold 99xx using Playbook charger in newer OS updates by adding a software refusal of the Playbook charger. Just because a charge charge the battery, it doesn't mean it is good for the phone.

Just to let you know.
    10-16-11 12:30 AM
    If you do not use the exact specification or amps because you want to charge faster (higher amps like Playbook charger) or use a lower amps one just because of convince; in a long period of time, the battery may develop what some people call, "health issues". This include the battery lifespan (how many times you can charge and re-charge) going down due to not using the right amount of I, current.

In fact, RIM tried their best to disable the charge of Bold 99xx using Playbook charger in newer OS updates by adding a software refusal of the Playbook charger. Just because a charge charge the battery, it doesn't mean it is good for the phone.

Just to let you know.
    sorry couldnt avoid read this and what are you talking? RIM didnt add any software refusal for pb charger on 9900 i have 1 month ussing it no issues and i contacted bb if they says its safe to use it it safe they told me it could heat a little cus its pushing more power and for ppl just use original chargees :d heheh
    10-16-11 01:40 AM
    you guys know what that is?

it's the standard we are using since 8900 devices (at least that's the oldest I know of using micro, before it was mini)

If you want to know the specification of this - wiki is a great help.

As far as I know you can't destroy your device but you could destroy your charger when the specs are wrong. Don't know it for sure but remembering something I was told about laptop charger/compatiblity
    10-16-11 06:12 AM
    If I had to guess, RIM set a max voltage and current setting on the phone to protect itself and the battery. Maybe the iPad charger exceeds those specs. 2.1A is almost 3x the standard charger.

I have had no problems using the old folding blade charger I used with my previous BB devices (700mA). Also my old and new OEM car charger work perfectly. Both are rated at 500mA.
    10-16-11 09:51 AM
    FWIW, I used a 1amp charger (portable - newtrent) on my Torch, and I'm convinced that this killed my battery on the Torch by significantly reducing it's capacity.

I now am almost OCD -like in ensuring I only charge my 9900 with a 750mA charger..
    10-18-11 03:11 AM
    haa yes it will work my dear friend, and also the data transfer will also be good including charging... brand made or company made cable will work very perfectly for charging and data transfer... we have use branded cable for the high end mobile devises.

LetsBuy Coupon
    10-18-11 05:31 AM
    IPAD charger wont work..... infact its bad to charge a battery at a faster rate... it just shortens the battery life

high amperage chargers are made for large batteries.. when used on small batteries it heats them up and wear the cells faster.... the normal chargers was made to charge the batteries at a rate where it maintains a safe temp.
    10-18-11 07:40 AM
    sorry couldnt avoid read this and what are you talking? RIM didnt add any software refusal for pb charger on 9900 i have 1 month ussing it no issues and i contacted bb if they says its safe to use it it safe they told me it could heat a little cus its pushing more power and for ppl just use original chargees :d heheh
    Probably mss-ca is talking about the situation, when the 3rd party charger was working with new Bold without any problems, and it stopped after the recent OS update.
    I know it happened to me...
    10-18-11 08:33 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD