no, not ok.
    06-16-09 09:49 AM
    What's a paper wait?

...To me a blackberry without internet is a paper wait. Why buy one of the best phones, and just use it on wi-fi...
    06-16-09 09:50 AM
    If I buy a phone that does it all, I want to do it all...or I don't see the point. Yes, a Blackberry can be used without a data plan, and there's a segment of society that will be perfectly happy, coasting on the whims of Wi-Fi and not using all the features. Go in peace, cuz I have no ill will toward you.

I want my phone to work, in full capacity, when I turn it on, regardless of where I am. I didn't buy a Blackberry because it's a "cool phone". I didn't buy it for the calendar. I bought it because of all it is, and all it can do.

The only problem I have is when folks offer unsolicited advice. If someone asks how to do something on a Blackberry without a data plan, that's not a cue for everyone to come in with, "Why would you get a BB without a data plan???". Answer the person's question, or don't...but don't intrude where you're not wanted.

If someone asks me if they should get a Blackberry without a data plan, I'm going to tell them "No", and that's my opinion. I'm not going to apologize for it, nor offer another answer to keep someone from thinking I'm saying their "orange is a bad apple".
    06-16-09 09:53 AM
    Again, I was not talking anyone out of a data plan. Neither did I say I was happy without one. I was simply informing newbies that the device works sans a data plan although it is limited in what it can and cannot do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I didn't say you were talking anyone down from getting a data plan. I was just saying why I wouldn't ever not have a data plan. I also said whatever works for you is great.

06-16-09 10:41 AM
    @itscakes
    He didn't say "it's ok to buy a Bold and just do whatever they want and NOT get a data plan"
    He said "You can still use some functions without a data plan, here's what they are"

Tlynnsmith has the same beef as me. People are asking "what can I do without a data plan?"

Your answers should be "This, this, and this, but you won't be able to do this, this and this." which is what Otenway was trying to achieve.

Not "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. You can't do ANYTHING without a data plan whatsoever, it's a paperweight"

Nor "I use a dataplan." <- why on earth are you posting this

Do you also go into Ferrari forums saying "Do you drive your Ferrari at 300 km/hr? You are buying the wrong car. Your Ferrari is a paperweight. Buy a Prius instead."

or do you go into a thread asking what Viigo can do and say "I use Freerange, you're free to use Viigo if you're happy with it."

I find the no-data bashing culture very odd.
    06-16-09 11:29 AM
    JMO, if anyone in an area that has good WiFi and want to utilize "their" BlackBerry without a data plan and limited functions - go for it. This issue pops up at different times and will be brought up again. Same thing several years ago regarding the Curve. Anyway, to those of you that choose the alternative route, good luck
    06-16-09 12:35 PM
    Googlemaps might work over WiFi, but if you never needed instant directions then there would be no need for gps enabled devices. It's one thing to access a route via a cpu and take a printout with you, but that's so 2000's

06-16-09 01:24 PM
    If the IEEE PC was the size of a phone, able to perform all phone functions, similar price to the bold, and able to last 2 days switched on, I probably would have gotten it instead.

1) The EEE PC is more then portable enough to be an easy to use WIFI device at Starbucks or school or watever

2) If you just wanna browse the web at wifi spots why use a $500 business phone that has a horrible browser? You would get a much more enjoyable experience on a device like the EEE which is meant for that.

3) Your already too cheap to get a data plan why not not just replace your phone plan with a skype plan? Should work fine on EEE.

4) I have a macbook that i never swtich off and just charge everynight and I am pretty sure the battery on the EEE is even better so I don't see your argument there unless your doing some kind of 8 hours web browsing session on your tiny bold screen in starbucks.

5) As for price you can get the EEE for about $350 on amazon while the bold is around $500 so I am not sure what your argument was there.

If your going to justify a bold with no data plan please next time at least make a better argument.
    06-16-09 02:02 PM
    So the EEE will fit in your pocket?? Nah.

Really, why all the hate? A guy/girl tries to make an informative post and anyone who thinks differently jumps all over him for it. Why the need to push your own idea's?

What works for one, may not work for another. MAYBE THEY JUST WANT FREAKIN BOLDS WITHOUT A DATA PLAN!!

I guess I should throw away my iTouch since it uses Wifi and I don't have any plans for it...
    06-16-09 07:05 PM
    I guess I should throw away my iTouch since it uses Wifi and I don't have any plans for it...
    Ok, I'm going to charge you $20 a month to use your iTouch on your WiFi connection. Now are you going to throw it away?
    06-16-09 08:17 PM
    Enough with the bickering guys...let me ask you this...

Once a phone is activated on a data plan and you are using your @att.blackberry.net e-mail address, along with BBM...

We all know that if you switch to wi-fi, everything will still work...e-mail...bbm...

What if you remove the data plan...will you continue to be able to use these features on wi-fi?

(No, I'm not hijacking the thread...this is about using a Bold with no data plan)

06-17-09 12:36 AM
    If your going to justify a bold with no data plan please next time at least make a better argument.
    You're a real funny guy. I stated:
    Assuming:
    1. I'm a student, I don't need pushmail
    2. I want the longest lasting battery in the phone business
    3. I want to surf the web occasionally, usually when I'm at school or maybe starbucks.
    4. I want to be able to do some light edits on my word, excel and powerpoint files, and organise my calendar events.
    5. I don't like touchscreens, I want a qwerty.
    8. I don't like moving parts, so no flippers or sliders
    9. I want a stable OS. I have a dislike for wm.
    10. 3rd party apps will be nice.

What phone should I get? A dumb phone?
    And your answer was, a netbook?

If I ask you what car should I get with the biggest passenger load, would you recommend me to buy a bus?

If I ask you what's the best Japanese restaurant in Toronto, would your recommend me to fly to Japan?

If you're going to make a recommendation, please at least read the question.

Once a phone is activated on a data plan and you are using your @att.blackberry.net e-mail address, along with BBM...

We all know that if you switch to wi-fi, everything will still work...e-mail...bbm...

What if you remove the data plan...will you continue to be able to use these features on wi-fi?
    Not all the features. e-mail, bbm and bb browser will not work.
    Phone, SMS, Calendar, Games, Word/Powerpoint/Exel-to-go, Camera, Video Cam, Music player, Video Player, Picture Viewer, and everything else that doesn't use a connection WILL WORK.
    Surfing on Opera Mini on the wifi WILL WORK.

Can your paperweight do that?

"Your bb will not work without a data plan" implies it will not turn on, or be able to make phone calls. That is blatantly wrong and misleading. If you're going to say "it's not going to work correctly", almost everyone knows that. Now tell them the answer to their question: what works, and what doesn't. If you don't know, it's not an invitation to post how stupid it is not to have a data plan.

I don't think I can be any clearer than that.
    Last edited by theblueark; 06-17-09 at 06:12 AM.
    06-17-09 06:04 AM
    Easy, it's a forum and we can agree to disagree. This is how good threads get closed. I also don't see the majority of us cancelling data plans - tomorrow or others choosing this option without calling at&t to confirm(or just asking the reps on here). It's just an alternative for those that choose that route and except whatever limited functionality of "their" BOLD.

06-17-09 06:47 AM
    This thread needs moar cayenne

06-17-09 06:53 AM
    have a question for those of you without data plans. i'm giving my bold to my girlfriend who doesn't have a data plan.

how do you get it to work without the carrier charging you for pay as you go data? i could swear that sometimes it's using cellular data even if i have wifi on. i made up some random TCP/APN settings and it seems like cellular data is still going through when "data services" is set to on. when it's off, wifi doesn't work. so right now the only workaround is to keep "Data services" off, then when you need it, turn "data services" and wifi on and also turn Cellular Network off.

does anyone have a better/more efficient idea?
    Last edited by ImGeorgeous; 06-17-09 at 09:32 PM.
    06-17-09 09:30 PM
    have a question for those of you without data plans. i'm giving my bold to my girlfriend who doesn't have a data plan.

how do you get it to work without the carrier charging you for pay as you go data? i could swear that sometimes it's using cellular data even if i have wifi on. i made up some random TCP/APN settings and it seems like cellular data is still going through when "data services" is set to on. when it's off, wifi doesn't work. so right now the only workaround is to keep "Data services" off, then when you need it, turn "data services" and wifi on and also turn Cellular Network off.

does anyone have a better/more efficient idea?
    There is no way around it. Wifi works around where it needs to be, but the moment you start downloading, anything syncs or even using MMS, you are using the network bandwidth and that is how you get charged. Charged per kb.
    06-17-09 10:45 PM
    thought so. thanks.
    06-17-09 10:57 PM
    Is it possible to buy a bold from at&t without a data plan? I thought a data plan was needed on all blackberry devices. That's what a rep from verizon told me.

I believe you have to purchase the data plan to get the reduced rate on the phone. If you don't buy the data plan you have to pay full $$$$ for the device. They were doing some cool deals on refurb devices in my area though? Not sure if those were nationwide or not?

06-17-09 11:58 PM
    yo dude! i need help, I have a bb curve 8320 with T mobile, i got it online also off ebay, works great, still contemplating on the data plan, however i thought the wi-fi would still allow me to use the internet at my house, and it wont! it says i need a data plan set up. any help??? also follow me on twitter twitter.com/claudia09ruiz
    06-18-09 10:44 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD