View Poll Results: Do you want true threaded SMS on your bold/blackberry?

Voters
395. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

369 93.42%
  • No

26 6.58%
    Ok guys, let me just start off by saying that the bold is my first berry, and I absolutely love it. My first smartphone was a Treo 650, and up until now it had been my favorite. Since then I've had a Treo 680, Treo 750, and most recently an HTC 8525. The bold blows all of these out of the water. The one thing that those phones had that the bold doesn't is true threaded SMS.

Blackberrys 'kind of' have threaded SMS. As in, IF you reply to a message (not start a new message to someone you've already been talking to) then it will thread it for a while. But it gets annoying seeing a million messages in my inbox. I really miss opening my inbox and seeing 10-15 names (aka conversations) on my Treos.

So here's the deal: let's (somehow) get true threaded SMS on our bolds, and maybe future blackberries.

How are we gonna do this? Honestly I have no idea. Start off by searching the web far and wide for anything remotely close to a threaded SMS app for the bold. If we find nothing, maybe try and create our own. I KNOW there are people on this forum capable of doing something like this. And if all else fails, let's let RIM know that we're dying to get this. If we got everyone on the forums - not just us bold users - but the Pearl users, the Curve users, the Storm users to all let RIM know that we want threaded SMS there is no way they could ignore us.

SO, for starters does anyone know of ANY sort of app that does anything close to threaded SMS on the bold/any blackberry device??

Edit: Anyone who wants true threaded SMS do the following:

Copy and paste the email below, change up the first paragraph, and send to [email protected] (thanks papped!)

Hello,

I am a huge blackberry fan (recently owned the Sprint 8330 and upgraded to the AT&T BB Bold). The blackberry as a messaging, chat and email device is superb. But there is one aspect that holds it back behind both WM and Palm (as well as a few other OS's) and that is chat-style threaded SMS.

Palm OS does an excellent job of this and even Windows Mobile 6 has superior threaded SMS organization compared to BB OS. With the excellent keyboards and messaging capabilities, true threaded SMS would greatly put the BB messaging capabilities above other OS's as a whole.

I think this falls in as easily a Top 5 Most Wanted for many, many BB users out there. Since 3rd party apps cannot access the SMS Inbox in order to mark SMS as read, etc, this solution really has to come from RIM!
    Last edited by masterchief1128; 11-25-08 at 09:21 AM.
    11-24-08 05:11 PM
    It's pointless hoping for a 3rd party solution.

RIM doesn't allow 3rd party apps to access the SMS inbox.
    So no matter what, reading sms in the 3rd party app won't mark them as read in your SMS inbox, etc.

Apps exist, but they are pointless for the reason above. Either RIM needs to make it or they need to allow access.
    11-24-08 05:21 PM
    A simple search would have given you a million threads just like this one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 05:29 PM
    But the difference between those threads and mine are that we're going to actually do something about it.

Let's email RIM with our thoughts on the matter, or make an online petition. It's ridiculous that 3rd party apps cant access the SMS inbox.
    11-24-08 05:51 PM
    I'm all for pushing for threaded SMS, but first can we get them to start posting change logs and prod them into being forthcoming about OS updates? =)
    11-24-08 06:16 PM
    My email to [email protected]

Modify the first paragraph and send it off to the email address if you want:
    Hello,

I am a huge blackberry fan (recently owned the Sprint 8330 and upgraded to the AT&T BB Bold). The blackberry as a messaging, chat and email device is superb. But there is one aspect that holds it back behind both WM and Palm (as well as a few other OS's) and that is chat-style threaded SMS.

Palm OS does an excellent job of this and even Windows Mobile 6 has superior threaded SMS organization compared to BB OS. With the excellent keyboards and messaging capabilities, true threaded SMS would greatly put the BB messaging capabilities above other OS's as a whole.

I think this falls in as easily a Top 5 Most Wanted for many, many BB users out there. Since 3rd party apps cannot access the SMS Inbox in order to mark SMS as read, etc, this solution really has to come from RIM!
    11-24-08 07:09 PM
    Perfect, thanks papped. EVERYONE needs to send an email to the address he posted.

I'll edit my first post and add that in - thanks again papped.
    11-24-08 07:58 PM
    Thanks for the foot work on this. I sent my email just a minute ago!
    11-24-08 08:27 PM
    The question is misleading, in a way. Do I care that it's not "full threaded" at the moment? No. Do I want full threading? If they're going to provide it, fine.
    11-24-08 09:09 PM
    The question is misleading, in a way. Do I care that it's not "full threaded" at the moment? No. Do I want full threading? If they're going to provide it, fine.
    Yea I agree totally with ydaraishy.. I was a treo user (650), and its just simply a extra feature... let RIM deal with my damn bold dying in 10 hours rather than threaded messages
    11-24-08 09:29 PM
    Hmm. Why does this thread remind me of the whole verizon locking gps thing...

11-24-08 09:53 PM
    Let me rephrase the poll question then.

Edit: Well looks like you cant edit polls after you post them. The new question should be:

"Would you be willing to go out of your way (make a phone call, send an email, etc.) to get true threaded SMS on your blackberry?"

Sorry about that guys.
    Last edited by masterchief1128; 11-24-08 at 10:00 PM.
    11-24-08 09:58 PM
    I would be more willing to go out of my way to get more control over the memory of the blackberry than I would for threaded SMS.

What do I mean by this? The Bold has 1GB of memory, but only 128MB is dedicated to applications. The rest of it is for storage, which is fine, but I happen to have a 16GB microsd card. So I want to allocate the entire 1GB of memory on the device to be for applications and I want my card to be for storage.

I think that's a much more pressing issue than threaded SMS. Especially since the application memory is where the blackberry OS does pretty much everything.

Anyway, we do have blackberry messenger; and one could argue that if you can't communicate with someone via bb messenger, due to their lack of a blackberry device, then there is no reason to communicate with that person due to their obviously poor decision making skills.
    11-24-08 10:24 PM
    Well the problem is the memory leak and battery issues aren't instant fixes. If those were easy to fix I'm sure RIM would've already fixed them. The SMS thing isn't an actual problem, it's just a small annoyance.

If we bother RIM enough about the SMS thing, they'll eventually give in and push a few buttons and fix it. The same isn't really true the memory/battery life .
    11-25-08 09:07 AM
    Ok, sent my email. We need to get this out for everyone on these and other forums to see. What would be the easiest way to get these seen by all blackberry owners on these forums?

Maybe I should've made this in the general section or something..
    11-25-08 09:17 AM
    Everyone email rim!

11-25-08 12:24 PM
    Whether or not there are more pressing issues (which is entirely subjective) isn't the point.

Pushing for this doesn't ignore other problems. You can push for this and do the same thing for any other features you want RIM to add. Just I wouldn't do it all in the same email. If they get tons of email with a list of 10-20 issues they are a lot less likely to read or fix them.
    11-25-08 02:41 PM
    Hi all,

Just replying to this thread in case you haven't heard about the 3jam Threaded SMS app yet. It's just what the doctor ordered!

True SMS threading in IM or Blackberry SMS style threads, and a nicely organized Inbox - no more simple message listings like the native SMS app! No more lost SMS messages as the BB tries to autodelete them to save space. Best of all, it's fast. Designed to minimize clicks and trackball scrolls, you can now quickly send and receive SMS messages, just like you were sitting in front of your computer at an IM client.

http;//www.3jam.com/blackberry for more information and screenshots.

Enjoy!

Enlai
    01-24-09 08:41 PM
    I don't even know what the point of threaded SMS is.
    01-24-09 09:06 PM
    Maybe it's one of those things where once you have it, you really understand the benefit. It's really the same as the BB Messenger interface where the opening screen just shows the contacts you've talked to. Opening one of them shows the back-and-forth conversation.

With SMS/MMS today, the opening screen is just a long list of messages you've received and you have to scroll to find someone you haven't texted lately. Sure you could find them via the Address Book, but it's just plain easier if the opening screen is organized by contacts first.
    01-24-09 09:15 PM
    I've been following this and was curious myself about threaded SMS and I downloaded and am trying out 3jam. My biggest problem is that texts are still reported to my Bold's SMS inbox and the notification (icon and LED) appear even after reading the text through 3Jam, is there a way to synchronize the Bold SMS and the 3Jam inbox?
    01-25-09 06:11 PM
    I think true full-threading SMS should be afforded by RIM. I have no problem emailing requesting it but if RIM has not allowed it in all these years I doubt if they will.
    01-25-09 06:34 PM
    I've been following this and was curious myself about threaded SMS and I downloaded and am trying out 3jam. My biggest problem is that texts are still reported to my Bold's SMS inbox and the notification (icon and LED) appear even after reading the text through 3Jam, is there a way to synchronize the Bold SMS and the 3Jam inbox?
    No, and quite frankly paying $20 for a app that I think is still in Beta is ridiculous.
    01-25-09 07:53 PM
    i just had to comment on your post. You are ********...why do you find it so difficult to answer a question? All he said was "DO YOU WANT IT"

he didn't ask, do you want to shoot yourself in the foot because you dont have it

he also didn't ask, would you throw your blackberry in the garbage if it came with it

all he asked is if you'd rather have it or if you'd rather not - sadly you can't manage to answer that. You are an embarrassment to humans, i really think that monkey that does sign language could have given a better answer.
    01-26-09 03:06 AM
    I don't even know what Threaded SMS is?

01-26-09 03:57 AM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD