Ok i will fight on jeffreii's behalf....

What if and i say this from experience .... what if the OS'es are compressed in the actual downloaded files and of course uncompressed once loaded up onto the phone which would mean in these 2 OS'es one leaked and one not leaked, one with ALL languages and one that Stated Multilanguage when loaded had a 5mb difference in memory allocation loss or gain between them.

Now perhaps the leaked version was somewhat in a beta still unoptimized coding still to be released as Official? This of course could be the reason as well.

Perhaps we all were drinking a little to hard and our eyes and mind were playing tricks on us and we all perhaps came to the conclusion of the "Who Cares Factor" we just know there was/is a difference between the two and we have proven it to be so ..... again.

Now lets get on with how we love this OS and testing of it....

I love this os and testing it out still without any issues so far.
    I'm all for it, but the only problem I had with the leaked .592 was (drum roll) that I had 5 MB less post-restart memory. Since a lot of others had that problem, a big selling point for installing this version is that (unless you are an alien like jeffreii) it won't take a chunk of your post-restart memory away.

Anyway, other than that, I agree, this OS totally RAWKS.
    04-12-10 04:24 PM
    Ok i will fight on jeffreii's behalf....

What if and i say this from experience .... what if the OS'es are compressed in the actual downloaded files and of course uncompressed once loaded up onto the phone which would mean in these 2 OS'es one leaked and one not leaked, one with ALL languages and one that Stated Multilanguage when loaded had a 5mb difference in memory allocation loss or gain between them.

Now perhaps the leaked version was somewhat in a beta still unoptimized coding still to be released as Official? This of course could be the reason as well.

Perhaps we all were drinking a little to hard and our eyes and mind were playing tricks on us and we all perhaps came to the conclusion of the "Who Cares Factor" we just know there was/is a difference between the two and we have proven it to be so ..... again.

Now lets get on with how we love this OS and testing of it....

I love this os and testing it out still without any issues so far.
    Nothing has been proven as nothing we have done has been remotely scientific!

I understand your compression theory but I still think the beta comes from RIM and it would be RIM to compress or decompress files as desired - not any of the hundreds of wireless carriers around the world.

What you are certainly correct on is the "who cares" part - while I'd like to know the answer to these questions, only someone like Crucial could do so...and since I am happy with the leaked version and JasW and others are happy with the official version...time to get on with it.

I still consider this the best OS ever.
    04-12-10 04:28 PM
    Dang you have a stubborn phone.

I am just wonder .. why, why, why this is happening to you?

Maybe you abused your phone to much and now its having its revenge on you ..

Wait ..... I never asked this, but what link did you download it from..... i got mine from the link i provided in the First Post Of This Thread.

Perhaps it maybe a buggered download you have from where else you may have got it from?

And in case you got it from where i got it from which is a Official Release from a blackberries website of the carrier listed .... maybe redownlaod it again, possible a buggered internet slowed down and corrupted files, without giving and error of any sort ..... yes that happens and can and will.

Anyhoo i am pullintg air out my buttocks trying to give you some ideas, but all i stated above can/is/could/maybe the issue. Its like have a dirty install of windows on a PC and everything goes haywire.

By the way i run windows 7 64-bit and i still use the 5.01.128 DM version, Nov 11, 2009 .... i am too stubborn to upgrade to the newer DM as if this DM works..... leave it alone....
    Ha ha. No abuse on this phone for sure. I traded my iPhone to my cousin for this Bold (it's my 2nd Bold and 4th BB overall; just couldn't stay away!) and I know that it was taken care of.

The 1st install I did was with the link from the 1st post (BB site). The 2nd was from the rapidshare link on page 2 or 3 of this thread. The 3rd and final (so far) was from the 1st post again on a completely different PC, and I also did a fresh install of DM (the link was the newest one on BB's site). Every time I had no interruption of internet, so I don't think it was a bad/interrupted download.

Believe me, I am completely baffled by the process. I've never had any issues like this w/ previous downloads on my older BB's, except for a bad beta leak for my old Bold.
    04-12-10 04:29 PM
    I'm all for it, but the only problem I had with the leaked .592 was (drum roll) that I had 5 MB less post-restart memory. Since a lot of others had that problem, a big selling point for installing this version is that (unless you are an alien like jeffreii) it won't take a chunk of your post-restart memory away.

Anyway, other than that, I agree, this OS totally RAWKS.
    If you took the 5MB away from me I'd still have been at 19MB free after a week of usage a few days ago - and been just as happy with .592 as I currently am. lol
    04-12-10 04:29 PM
    is there any place where there are clear easy steps about how to update? I've skimmed through this thread, and read different people's methods, but haven't been able to do it yet.
    04-12-10 05:19 PM
    So, here's the latest part in my saga:

I used my friends laptop running WinXP, and downloaded the .592 via the rapidshare link (it was all in italian, but whatever, i figured it out.) Before installing I used JL_Cmder to 507 my Bold, then I did the install (deleting the vendor.xml file beforehand). After the install, I tested the ringers, and they didn't work from the start. I pulled the battery and will keep it out for a half hour and check it afterwards. I think the problem might stem from opening the pictures folder, where all of the default wallpapers are missing/not showing up correctly.
    JL Cmdr rules!!! (if your not running Windows 7, havent tested on Vista)
    04-12-10 05:37 PM
    So is this a fact for everyone on this release - the A button does not lock the phone? If so, is there another quick key that does?

I use this feature ALL the time - pretty much every time I pick up my phone, so sometimes hundreds of times a day. I could not get by without it. I have no desire to "upgrade" my OS if I lose features that I love.....

Is there any other way to do an instant lock?
    OS 5.0.0.464 and above created a new feature where without a password you only can used Standby, set a password and you can use lock as it was before.
    04-12-10 05:38 PM
    is there any place where there are clear easy steps about how to update? I've skimmed through this thread, and read different people's methods, but haven't been able to do it yet.
    1. download the OS .592 from link provided in the first post of this thread

2. backup your data and third party apps link here for backing third party apps http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/

3. download amd install crackmem latest version 3.4 http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/ there is a picture of the program on that page to show you what can be removed and so forth.

Make sure to check off Vendor.xml or you can manually find it on your PC and delete it Delete the vendor.xml file located in

c:\program files (86)\common files\research in motion\apploader

Or

Delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

I usually delete it manually to make sure.

4. Check off the OS in the left side of crackmem

5. Click on Wipe Device, which a box will pop up asking you to BrickMyPhone and type it exactly like that.

6. This process does 2 steps in one, wipes the phone and load the NEW OS.

7. Have a Coffee and Cigarette or what have you for 5-10 minutes as it will take that long to wipe and load up the OS.

This is the most simpest way to do all of this and i will update my first post in the thread.

Some ppl like using BBSAK instead of Crackmem, to each their own.
    Last edited by xamdam; 04-12-10 at 05:49 PM.
    04-12-10 05:43 PM
    OS 5.0.0.464 and above created a new feature where without a password you only can used Standby, set a password and you can use lock as it was before.
    Ok please read through this entire THREAD before posting that the Phone Lock with password works.

Cause it does not.

A not work
    K not work, some claim it does, but i have yet seen anyone prove so.
    Mute not work

All the above will only lock the keyboard, not the phone with password, except K for me is a speed dial option and should be for every BOLD user.

The only way i can engage my password lock for the phone is by using QuickLaunch program to set it up to lock the phone and this takes only 2 secs to push and its locked instantly until password is entered.

There is also the password lock icon (when password is made you will see this icon on the home screen).
    04-12-10 05:57 PM
    Everything seems pretty good so far. Still have to restore my contacts and a couple of apps.

I am having problems with app world as well. I am sure an update will fix that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Update went smoothly but lost icon for App World. It is still there in the files but how do I restore the icon?
    04-12-10 06:58 PM
    Ok please read through this entire THREAD before posting that the Phone Lock with password works.

Cause it does not.

A not work
    K not work, some claim it does, but i have yet seen anyone prove so.
    Mute not work

All the above will only lock the keyboard, not the phone with password, except K for me is a speed dial option and should be for every BOLD user.

The only way i can engage my password lock for the phone is by using QuickLaunch program to set it up to lock the phone and this takes only 2 secs to push and its locked instantly until password is entered.

There is also the password lock icon (when password is made you will see this icon on the home screen).
    Just so we're not confusing different locking functions, I want to clarify what I have posted earlier.

This is how it works for me (on .592). I have password enabled.

I can enable the password lock by pressing "k" from the home screen, by clicking on the lock icon, or by using a shortcut in Qucklaunch. When unlocking, it shows a box that says "Device is locked" with 3 options underneath: unlock, emergency, and cancel. To unlock, I have to enter my password.

I can enable the standby/keyboard lock by pressing and holding down "a" or the mute button. I can unlock by pressing the mute button. If I hit some of the other keys (call button, blackberry button, etc) first, the phone shows a message that says, "Keypad is locked. Press the mute button to unlock." It does not require a password to unlock unless it reaches the security timeout limit that I have set for the password lock.

Like I said before, I'm not sure if the "k" shortcut will work on the .509 OS. I think I tried it when I was using that OS, but I am not sure. It definitely works for me on .592, as long as I have password enabled.

I have attached some screen caps. Hopefully this will work for you. The locking features are the only things I don't like about the 5.0 OS.
    04-12-10 07:17 PM
    *steps*

^perfect, thanks!!
    Last edited by Iha_; 04-12-10 at 08:01 PM.
    04-12-10 07:54 PM
    Azercell? Waiting for Kyrgyz release))))
    04-12-10 09:25 PM
    Just so we're not confusing different locking functions, I want to clarify what I have posted earlier.

This is how it works for me (on .592). I have password enabled.

I can enable the password lock by pressing "k" from the home screen, by clicking on the lock icon, or by using a shortcut in Qucklaunch. When unlocking, it shows a box that says "Device is locked" with 3 options underneath: unlock, emergency, and cancel. To unlock, I have to enter my password.

I can enable the standby/keyboard lock by pressing and holding down "a" or the mute button. I can unlock by pressing the mute button. If I hit some of the other keys (call button, blackberry button, etc) first, the phone shows a message that says, "Keypad is locked. Press the mute button to unlock." It does not require a password to unlock unless it reaches the security timeout limit that I have set for the password lock.

Like I said before, I'm not sure if the "k" shortcut will work on the .509 OS. I think I tried it when I was using that OS, but I am not sure. It definitely works for me on .592, as long as I have password enabled.

I have attached some screen caps. Hopefully this will work for you. The locking features are the only things I don't like about the 5.0 OS.
    Perhaps the issue here is that in order for "K" to engage the password lock, three things are required:

1) Dial from home screen disabled.

2) Obviously, a password must be set and enabled.

3) You press the K button (not press and hold...which will engage the speed dial function).
    Last edited by jeffreii; 04-12-10 at 09:59 PM.
    04-12-10 09:56 PM
    I've been running this release for a couple of days and love it. Especially the choppy calls fix. That was intolerable.

I have been testing out different apps, adding and deleting them and now find that the wifi no longer works. The wifi radio can no longer be enabled.

Other than, wipe and reload, anybody have any thoughts?
    04-12-10 09:58 PM
    I've been running this release for a couple of days and love it. Especially the choppy calls fix. That was intolerable.

I have been testing out different apps, adding and deleting them and now find that the wifi no longer works. The wifi radio can no longer be enabled.

Hmm, WIFI works still for me.

Maybe try delete the WIFI profile you have stored and then reconnect to the router to go through the process of setting it up again.
    04-12-10 10:01 PM

Just checked and my wifi is working just fine - quick auto-connect to my home network. Aside from a battery pull and checking your wifi settings...perhaps give us some more detail?

When you say it can't be enabled...does that mean you can't even put a check mark next to the wifi box in "manage connections?"
    04-12-10 10:02 PM
    Perhaps the issue here is that in order for "K" to engage the password lock, three things are required:

1) Dial from home screen disabled.

2) Obviously, a password must be set and enabled.

3) You press the K button (not press and hold...which will engage the speed dial function).
    Ok dang it..... i was holding the f'ing K key not just press it ....... man ppl you need to be clearer on your typing skills.

The A key needed to be HELD to LOCK the phone in password screen LOCK.

So i was right about the f'ing K key not working .... and i stand corrected that its does WORK, but by pressing it NOT HOLDING it.

Thks jeffreii for clarifying this for ALL of US.

I still use Quicklaunch to enable this option, but i will use K now as well.
    04-12-10 10:06 PM
    Just checked and my wifi is working just fine - quick auto-connect to my home network. Aside from a battery pull and checking your wifi settings...perhaps give us some more detail?

When you say it can't be enabled...does that mean you can't even put a check mark next to the wifi box in "manage connections?"
    Correct. When I try to setup Wifi connection and scan for networks, I get a popup "Turn on Wi-Fi to perform a scan?". After clicking on "Turn Wi-Fi on", I receive a pop-up "Unable to turn Wi-Fi on"
    04-12-10 10:07 PM
    Downloaded new OS 5.0.0.592 using BBSAK. Backed up everything through the DM, and it went smoothe. For some reason i lost two apps (berry unit converter & ESPN), but it's no biggie as i can get them back again. So, i'm running 10 apps, and one of Mio's great themes, and the memory is constant at 40mbs. Much better than the 509, which ran at 27 or 28mbs with the same stuff. Browser speed is much faster, and my music videos are sharper and clearer. Thanks for the help !
    04-12-10 10:30 PM
    Wow 40mbs that's awesome.
    04-13-10 02:03 AM
    yea im happy with this OS. havent seen my memory this stable in awhile. can use my fone the whole day without worrying about memory leaks.

stays at 29mb at the start. by night its gone as low as 18-19mb. only been using it for a few days but so far so good.

battery life is good. lasts me over a day (running down to red) using the 1750 seidio batt.
    04-13-10 02:14 AM
    Anyone know where to look for the EastAsian package for this OS?
    Thanks! ^^

04-13-10 03:00 AM
    Anyone know where to look for the EastAsian package for this OS?
    Thanks! ^^

I can't find any yet, but when it is released on a carrier most will post about it.

Also try google to search for this OS, Official OS 5.0.0.592 BlackBerry 9000 east asia from time to time.
    Last edited by xamdam; 04-13-10 at 06:37 AM.
    04-13-10 06:34 AM
    Does this have the small icons on homescreen like .509 has? I love those icons and hope this will have it too.

Come on, RIM, give some small icon love :P
    04-13-10 12:18 PM
330 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD