Going to try downloading "592" tomorrow. Please define what you mean when you use the word "wipe". I used Quickpull to clean the old OS when i first downloaded "509", and had no problems. I don't think you are referring to the memory wipe feature on the BB 9000, are you ? Please bear with me as i'm fairly new at this. I had planned on getting QuickLaunch in the near future, but maybe sooner is better than later.
    Using the program 'bbsak' there's an option to wipe the device, I believe it removes the OS off of the phone. This gives you a fresh foundation for your new OS install.
    04-11-10 07:09 PM
    My speaker is a little more 'uncrisp' than usual.
    04-11-10 07:10 PM
    O.K. I think i've got it. One question though. If i install QuickLaunch ( BBSAK )while i have the 509, then use it to uninstall the 509, will it be there when i install the 592 ? If not, how do i get it back ?
    04-11-10 07:49 PM
    O.K. I think i've got it. One question though. If i install QuickLaunch ( BBSAK )while i have the 509, then use it to uninstall the 509, will it be there when i install the 592 ? If not, how do i get it back ?
    Quicklaunch and BBSAK have nothing to do with each other.

Quicklaunch is installed on your phone and will either need to be reinstalled or you will need to make a backup of your apps.

BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife) is installed to your computer and will connect to your BlackBerry and wipe the device for you (remove the current OS and brick your phone temporarily) and then it will launch AppLoader for you to install the new OS. You can download it here:
    RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][10/25/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.7.0

Again, here is the link for proper upgrade/downgrade procedure. We are specifically talking about the "advanced" procedure which includes a wipe. Instead of using "jlcmdr" or "crackmem" as the following link says, I suggest using BBSAK...but any of the 3 will probably get the job done.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pro...ocedure-53359/

You will notice a link in the advanced procedure to the following page describing the proper method for backing up your 3rd party apps (i.e. Quicklaunch and anything else you have installed on your device). If you choose (and I actually suggest it) you can instead use BBSAK to backup your 3rd party apps. See bottom.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

Lastly, do not forget to back up your phone before wiping and installing a new OS. That procedure is done through Desktop Manager and will backup your contacts, calendar, BlackBerry settings and more (but not your 3rd party apps; that's done separately as described in the links directly above and below).

Youtube tutorial for how to backup and restore 3rd party apps with BBSAK...and then wipe and install:

Good luck.
    Last edited by jeffreii; 04-11-10 at 08:24 PM.
    04-11-10 07:59 PM
    Dude I am using it right now and I assure you that I am running 592 and have my phone password protected. Pressing A just locks the keypad and requires you to hold mute to unlock but K allows for a one key phone lock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks! You are right. I just tried on my phone (with .592) and the "k" button did lock the phone. I don't think it was the same on .509 because I thought I tried everything to lock the phone. Anyway, thanks again. I stand corrected.
    04-11-10 08:33 PM
    Thanks! You are right. I just tried on my phone (with .592) and the "k" button did lock the phone. I don't think it was the same on .509 because I thought I tried everything to lock the phone. Anyway, thanks again. I stand corrected.
    Holding down A or the Mute button also locks the phone.
    04-11-10 08:36 PM
    Just installed BBSAK v1.5 to "my documents". How do i open it up ? It says windows installer package.
    04-11-10 08:51 PM
    Just installed BBSAK v1.5 to "my documents". How do i open it up ? It says windows installer package.
    The link I put for BBSAK in my post will lead you to BBSAK 1.7 which you should get instead of 1.5.

Here it is again:
    RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][10/25/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.7.0

Once you've downloaded it, a .msi file is the same as a .exe file. Just double click and install.
    04-11-10 08:55 PM
    Thanks for the link. The desktop icon for the v1.5 just popped up now! When i get the v1.7, i'll delete the other one. I see that it is similar to DM, as i have to plug phone into USB port and enter PIN number and password.
    04-11-10 09:12 PM
    I went ahead and tried those steps, but I'm still having the same issues. I was able to hear the ringtones by going into Options/Sounds and Ring Tones, but when I went into the Profiles, I started getting the errors. Since I'm @ work, I'm unable to do anything with the equipment here, and my MacBook Pro is of no help either. My friend is going to let me use his laptop later on to re-load the OS, since I have a feeling that the problems might have started by uploaded from my older WinXP machine that I had to dust off in order to remove an IT policy in the 1st place. I will keep y'all posted on my progress, and hopefully my success!
    You're not crazy, I had the same ringtone problem with .509. By only restoring the calendar and contacts, I could get it to work right for a few days. I may try again and restore my contacts from Google Sync instead to try to get rid of the issue.

I never did solve the problem and ultimately went back to 4.6 in frustration. I'm fairly convinced it has something to do with restoring the backed up database that it doesn't like, but I never tried going totally from scratch to test the theory.

Lemme know if you have any luck with a solution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 09:32 PM
    Hello everyone!

I have question for the CB gurus...
    Here it goes:
    I have a BlackBerry Bold 9000, I don't have a data plan, I don't use a Blackberry carrier (BIS), my BB has never been branded its just a plain old RIM BB Bold 9000.
    I use firmware 4.6.0.266 will there be any problems if I upgrade to a newer one?

Thanks!

Darko, Serbia
    04-12-10 04:52 AM
    Ok again i state. not sure why.. but for ME i suppose i am the only one on the PLANET, but i have read elsewhere around the INTERNET that this is also happing for other PPL. Please tell me your using a Separate Program to use the K button as many can not get the K to even lock the phone.

I use quicklaunch for locking the phone now because all else FAILS at doing so. I have password enabled since buying the phone just over a year ago and the MUTE and A key would go into standby/password locked MODE. This feature has been disabled now by rim on the NEWEST 5.0 OS'es.

Those who state the K button works... well read below cause it is not working for me and do a GOOGLE search for the Thousands of Others (yep not 1 or 2 or 3) but thousands of others it is not working for...... even when dial from home screen is DISABLED.

Holding the A button down only locks the KEYPAD not the PHONE = with password enabled or without password enabled.

Holding down the MUTE button only LOCKS the KEYPAD not the PHONE = with password enabled or without password enabled.

Holding down the K button = a message about adding a key to a shortcut for SPEED DIALING = WITH OR WITHOUT dial From HOME SCREEN enabled.
    04-12-10 07:12 AM
    Going to try downloading "592" tomorrow. Please define what you mean when you use the word "wipe". I used Quickpull to clean the old OS when i first downloaded "509", and had no problems. I don't think you are referring to the memory wipe feature on the BB 9000, are you ? Please bear with me as i'm fairly new at this. I had planned on getting QuickLaunch in the near future, but maybe sooner is better than later.
    Wipe = erasing all DATA and APPS from the phone by the way of a Wiping Process that can be used with the Phones Internal Wiping Process or with programs like CRACKMEM or BBSAK or even CRACKUTIL.

Wipe = the process of never retreiving that DATA or APPS that have been previously on the phone.

Wipe = the process of cleaning the phone of any remains of older DATA or APPS that can not be used again from the same arena it was once placed in.

Wipe = in the most simplest terms = Do a Fresh Install from scratch = Wipe the phone = Format the Device = back to the basics = a Virgin in Deguise = baby your the greatest cleaner ever.

Quick Launch = a Program that is installed to the Phone to allow you to launch programs much much faster then scrolling around looking for them on the device = it has a feature to LOCK the Phone which you must add to the LIST of apps you can launch in the Quick Launch program = application = developer created software.
    Last edited by xamdam; 04-12-10 at 07:22 AM.
    04-12-10 07:16 AM
    Like a lot of people who upgraded to the leaked .592, I lost a healthy chunk of app memory. Has anyone who had that problem with the leaked .592 moved to this version and gotten memory back?
    04-12-10 07:24 AM
    Like a lot of people who upgraded to the leaked .592, I lost a healthy chunk of app memory. Has anyone who had that problem with the leaked .592 moved to this version and gotten memory back?
    Lets put it this way:

No two phones are the same
    No two people are the same
    No two applications are the same

Many who claimed a lost in memory allocation did not do a Proper Wipe of the phone before installing the NEW OS.

This is trial and error process for all ppl who take part in it = you must see for yourself if it does indeed lose more or gain more memory for you.

Do a clean proper wipe of the phone using crackmem or bbsak and before installing anny APPS or Restoring your phone to all your DATA you had backed up, see what the memory level is at at that time.

I have lots of Apps and DATA on my phone and i hover around 30-32mb FREE, you may have less DATA, but more apps then me or vice versa and you may have less memory allocated due to that factor or you may have more memory allocated.

Its like saying we all have a 120gb HD on a PC and many have 10gb free but others have 50gb free..... why ..... cause my oh my they have LESS Files Installed.
    04-12-10 07:43 AM
    3 days uptime right now...30MB free.
    04-12-10 08:52 AM
    3 days uptime right now...30MB free.
    What apps are you running?
    04-12-10 08:55 AM
    What apps are you running?
    This OS fixed all my .509 problems (bluetooth bug, SMS lockup, choppy calls) and is just as stable, if not more so. The crazy scrolling issues from .554 is not in this build either. Only problem is Shazam does not work.

As usual, this should be identical to the leaked version (aside from languages) - if you want to read the findings here is the leak thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/os-...-592-a-446061/

I ran it without reboot for a week and was at 24MB free before needing to reboot to install Google Maps.

27 hours later and I'm stable at at 31MB free.

My installed apps:

BerryBuzz
    Hulkster's 10 icons L style, 7x calendar today section theme
    FileScout
    FlashOn
    Gmail
    Google Maps
    Google Mobile App
    Shazam (not working)
    CaptureIt
    AIM
    BBM 5.0.0.66
    BB App World
    These apps ^
    04-12-10 08:56 AM
    Ok again i state. not sure why.. but for ME i suppose i am the only one on the PLANET, but i have read elsewhere around the INTERNET that this is also happing for other PPL. Please tell me your using a Separate Program to use the K button as many can not get the K to even lock the phone.

I use quicklaunch for locking the phone now because all else FAILS at doing so. I have password enabled since buying the phone just over a year ago and the MUTE and A key would go into standby/password locked MODE. This feature has been disabled now by rim on the NEWEST 5.0 OS'es.

Those who state the K button works... well read below cause it is not working for me and do a GOOGLE search for the Thousands of Others (yep not 1 or 2 or 3) but thousands of others it is not working for...... even when dial from home screen is DISABLED.

Holding the A button down only locks the KEYPAD not the PHONE = with password enabled or without password enabled.

Holding down the MUTE button only LOCKS the KEYPAD not the PHONE = with password enabled or without password enabled.

Holding down the K button = a message about adding a key to a shortcut for SPEED DIALING = WITH OR WITHOUT dial From HOME SCREEN enabled.
    Semantics are to blame here. Now I understand that you want to lock the phone with a password, not just lock the keyboard and prevent the phone from doing anything without being unlocked.

You are correct - there are still several ways to lock the phone with a password though...

1) Security timeout - phone can be set to lock itself after as little as 1 minute.

2) Password Lock icon - Once you set a password there is a Password Lock icon that can be used to instantly lock the phone.

3) Assign a convenience key to Password Lock icon - Once you set a password you can also assign either convenience key to the "Password Lock" icon.

4) Auto-lock on Holster - there's an option in Options / Password to "Lock Handheld Upon Holstering"

5) Quicklaunch and other apps

All in all though, I agree you should be able to set it to lock the phone with a password on "keyboard lock."

I don't use a password though...I find it annoying as heck...so this doesn't bother me.
    04-12-10 09:01 AM
    These apps ^
    WOW very interesting. So on boot up what memory were you seeing?
    04-12-10 09:04 AM
    Lets put it this way:

No two phones are the same
    No two people are the same
    No two applications are the same

Many who claimed a lost in memory allocation did not do a Proper Wipe of the phone before installing the NEW OS.

This is trial and error process for all ppl who take part in it = you must see for yourself if it does indeed lose more or gain more memory for you.

Do a clean proper wipe of the phone using crackmem or bbsak and before installing anny APPS or Restoring your phone to all your DATA you had backed up, see what the memory level is at at that time.

I have lots of Apps and DATA on my phone and i hover around 30-32mb FREE, you may have less DATA, but more apps then me or vice versa and you may have less memory allocated due to that factor or you may have more memory allocated.

Its like saying we all have a 120gb HD on a PC and many have 10gb free but others have 50gb free..... why ..... cause my oh my they have LESS Files Installed.
    Uh, thanks chief, but I was looking for an answer to my simple question and not a lecture on how data and apps use up memory.

In other words, I'm looking for a response from people who meet the following three conditions: they (1) upgraded to the leaked .592, (2) suffered the reported (by some of us) 5 MB or so drop in post-restart app memory, and (3) have now upgraded to this "official" version of .592.

jefreii, you're disqualified because you don't meet condition #2.
    04-12-10 09:15 AM
    Uh, thanks chief, but I was looking for an answer to my simple question and not a lecture on how data and apps use up memory.

In other words, I'm looking for a response from people who meet the following three conditions: they (1) upgraded to the leaked .592, (2) suffered the reported (by some of us) 5 MB or so drop in post-restart app memory, and (3) have now upgraded to this "official" version of .592.

I'm thinking I will just wipe and try the official version myself and see if there are any changes. And go from there.
    04-12-10 09:20 AM
    Well, I think I might be in the clear in terms of .592. I did one final install last night, which included removing anything blackberry related on my PC, including redownloading DM and the OS. After the install, I checked the "sample photos" album, and the pics were still bad, so I thought I was SOL. I did a battery pull and went about setting my ringers, without looking in that folder. That was at 11:30 last night. So 12 hours later, everything seems to be working properly. App memory is sitting at 28.5MB since last night, with the following apps loaded:

Facebook
    Twitter from RIM
    App World
    WeatherEye
    Pageonce Assistant
    Docs to Go

So far I love the OS in terms of speed, and I'm glad the carrier font has gone back to it's normal size from the smaller one in .509. Bluetooth connectivity seems solid while connected to my Nuvi 265wt, and I haven't had any choppy/dropped calls on the headset. I'm not sure how the battery life is yet. I just unplugged it from the charger and won't go back to it until the green light shows up.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help and advice!
    04-12-10 10:00 AM

JasW I meet your conditions.
    1. I upgraded from the leaked .592 which I installed when it first came out
    2. I did drop around 5-8 MB in post-restart app memory
    3. I have upgraded to this "official" version of .592 and find myself back to where is was in the .509 version or whatever was before this, getting old and getting forgetful in what version came before this one.
    Other than the memory gained back I find it completely the same. It is not as bulky as the "leaked" version.
    Still the best O/S so far IMHO!
    04-12-10 10:16 AM
    hey...im current running the windhellas realese and was wondering about 3 things
    1.battery life...same,less or better?
    2.do choppy calls still occur?
    3.does the speakerphone still make that loud squeeling sound?
    04-12-10 10:22 AM
330 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD