lulz at all the comments on this thread, it looks like everyone read one bad opinion and reposted "omg! I'ze going to pass on this one, 282 is the bomb chronic!" over and over.

1. The "Task Manager" still works just fine by pressing the button on the left side of the phone below the headphone jack.

2. It is noticeably snappier than .282.

3. The 2g/3g selector was not there however I don't need this feature because I live in metro Cincinnati, OH where 3G coverage is awesome!

Do not be afraid to try this version because of all the repeat posts on being scurrred. This version is a true legend!
    Last edited by barracudacx; 07-30-09 at 11:09 PM.
    07-30-09 10:32 PM
    lulz at all the comments on this thread, it looks like everyone read one bad opinion and reposted "omg! I'ze going to pass on this one, 282 is the bomb chronic!" over and over.

1. The "Task Manager" still works just fine by pressing the button on the right side of the phone below the headphone jack.

2. It is noticeably snappier than .282.

3. The 2g/3g selector was not there however I don't need this feature because I live in metro Cincinnati, OH where 3G coverage is awesome!

Do not be afraid to try this version because of all the repeat posts on being scurrred. This version is a true legend!
    Headphone jack is on the left buddy.
    07-30-09 10:46 PM
    Have a question hoping to get some info on. I was looking through the ATT website and come across a download for a Bold software upgrade but can't really decipher it. Can anyone help. This is the actual copy and paste from the site:

"Software For BlackBerry� Bold (TM) 9000 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.438 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.438
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.6.0.167
    Software Platform: 4.0.0.217
    File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel438_PL4.0.0.217_A4.6.0.167_AT_am p_T.exe
    File size: 93.32MB"

Is this an OS .438 version or is it just a .167? What denotes the OS version? I can never seem to figure this out. Anyone know?
    07-30-09 11:05 PM
    Have a question hoping to get some info on. I was looking through the ATT website and come across a download for a Bold software upgrade but can't really decipher it. Can anyone help. This is the actual copy and paste from the site:

"Software For BlackBerry� Bold (TM) 9000 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.438 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.438
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.6.0.167
    Software Platform: 4.0.0.217
    File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel438_PL4.0.0.217_A4.6.0.167_AT_am p_T.exe
    File size: 93.32MB"

Is this an OS .438 version or is it just a .167? What denotes the OS version? I can never seem to figure this out. Anyone know?
    Its .167 that denotes the OS version
    07-30-09 11:14 PM
    Its .167 that denotes the OS version

So the "applications" section denotes the OS version? Is that how I should read it?

Thanks
    07-30-09 11:39 PM
    Halted my downloading after reading the forums......don't want to downgrade anyway
    07-31-09 01:21 AM
    As a poster said above...it is noticeably more snappy than .282. It even makes 3rd party apps run smoother. I always had the 3G selector so I have no problems. Even the browseer is quick in fact I would say this is the fastest OS I've ever had on my bold

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 01:27 AM
    well I have it installed and I think the GUI is a bit laggy compared to .282

The pics load faster than .282

Youtube works, I was not able to use youtube on .282

memory slightly improved, up about 3 meg

service books took a bit of time to come in when they are normally instant
    but that could be anything ... just noting

I will continue to test ...
    Last edited by vx1; 07-31-09 at 02:06 AM.
    07-31-09 02:04 AM
    for me it was an improvement over .282 i know everyone was saying its a downgrade but for me it was a well worth it upgrade
    -faster overall
    -pics load up instantly
    -memory was the biggest improvement for me
    -the only thing is being able to switch between 2g and 3g but i dont care cuz i always kept it on 3g
    -ill report back on battery
    -signal is ALOT better
    07-31-09 02:53 AM
    "Snappier," now there's an objective observation. This thread is a classic example of the emperor and his new clothes phenomenon.

07-31-09 03:53 AM
    "Snappier," now there's an objective observation. This thread is a classic example of the emperor and his new clothes phenomenon.

It's really not objective at all, time is a quantifiable metric.

- On .282 I would get the hourglass all the time when performing normal tasks, reading my schedule, launching a third party app, etc.

- I would also get "Please wait" when unlocking my phone under .282 for a minimum of 2-3 seconds.

- On .282 I would get a .5ms lag when scrolling through menus.

That being said my new clothes are like those new swimsuits they used in the Olympics, way faster then your .282 trunks!!!
    07-31-09 07:39 AM

- On .282 I would get the hourglass all the time when performing normal tasks, reading my schedule, launching a third party app, etc.

- I would also get "Please wait" when unlocking my phone under .282 for a minimum of 2-3 seconds.

That being said my new clothes are like those new swimsuits they used in the Olympics, way faster then your .282 trunks!!!
    I don't have any of these problems on .282. The fact that you had them and they disappeared after downgrading to this hybrid OS only shows that installing/reinstalling an OS -- whatever OS -- can clean things up.
    07-31-09 10:07 AM
    I was not going to try this version do to the initail feedback. I'm very glad I did, it is very quick and responsive. I'll take speed over a couple features any day.
    07-31-09 10:12 AM
    i like it better than .282. its quicker and even pictures seems to load up faster than .282. no problems as of yet
    07-31-09 11:52 AM
    I don't have any of these problems on .282. The fact that you had them and they disappeared after downgrading to this hybrid OS only shows that installing/reinstalling an OS -- whatever OS -- can clean things up.
    for me that was not true..ive reinstalled .282 thinking it will clean up and make things run more smoothly but it was a no go..
    Also The radio on .282 at my house was horrible..now im getting full signal power at my house. Also restarting the phone is much much faster.
    07-31-09 12:30 PM
    I think that at this point in time it might just be better to hold off for OS 5.0 seeing that it is close to being released according to preliminary estimates.
    07-31-09 12:30 PM
    I think that at this point in time it might just be better to hold off for OS 5.0 seeing that it is close to being released according to preliminary estimates.
    yeah good luck on your wait
    07-31-09 12:32 PM
    yeah good luck on your wait

Hey I could dream can't I? lol
    07-31-09 12:36 PM

.5ms? reeeeeeeally? 0.0005 seconds? go bullpoop somebody else my dear human
    Last edited by gbsn; 07-31-09 at 01:33 PM.
    07-31-09 01:03 PM
    I downgraded to this OS last night and been using it so I let you know most of what u already know

First of all u have no switch from 2g to 3g. Also I don't have the task manager.

How ever if the batter hold up good I'm going to keep this OS
    The OS boots up fast and as most have said its a lot faster. a huge differance in using the OS
    With 282 there was a slight lag and this is just clean. Also I have a 16gig card full of media and 282 would take about 15
    Minutes to read my card and untel that scan was fone I could not use the phone. This dose it in about 4 minutes

I have over 1000 pictures on my bold and the extreamly slow picture viewing just sucked. 282 would take about a seccond
    To load each picture this one once it loads all the thumb nails its almost instant. Browsing media and 3rd
    Party apps is way faster

And browsing the net is noticibly faster.

So if the battery is good on this OS I'm keeping it.
    Ill use it for a few days and let u all know
    07-31-09 01:48 PM
    if you guys are worried about the app switcher not being there after the OS change, you have two options:

1) switch it to the convenience key
    or
    2)click alt and escape (which is probably doing too much)

I've always had my convenience key as the app switcher before the change to any of the OSs.

Dont let the negative posts scare you into not(double negative lol) trying this OS. I think its pretty good compared to .282.
    07-31-09 03:14 PM
    if you guys are worried about the app switcher not being there after the OS change, you have two options:

1) switch it to the convenience key
    or
    2)click alt and escape (which is probably doing too much)

I've always had my convenience key as the app switcher before the change to any of the OSs.

Dont let the negative posts scare you into not(double negative lol) trying this OS. I think its pretty good compared to .282.
    yeah dude that works great. hold down alt and press the escape key( the back key on the right side of the ball)

just wondering how do you switch it to the convenience key like you machined?
    07-31-09 04:42 PM
    funny cuz i still have my app switcher when i hit the left button
    07-31-09 05:40 PM
    yeah dude that works great. hold down alt and press the escape key( the back key on the right side of the ball)

just wondering how do you switch it to the convenience key like you machined?

you can go to options>screen & keyboard>left or right convenience key and then select app switcher
    07-31-09 09:36 PM
    i'm not going to bother with this version, seems too many ppl are having issues with it... i'll stick with .282 which has been very good so far.
    07-31-09 10:27 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD