Does anybody know a rough release date for the 9900 on O2?
    I've been waiting to upgrade my phone for just over a month now.
    And though it's listen on the website as 'COMING SOON: AUGUST' I've heard speculation, that it's actually not getting released until September.
    It's so tempting to just cancel the contract and go to Vodafone.
    Anybody else waiting for O2 to hurry up and release it?
    Also, anybody know if it will be unbranded?
    I sure hop it will be!
    Why oh why is o2 the slowest network at bringing things out over here in the UK
    It makes me sad..
    08-16-11 11:55 AM
    waiting for o2 in germany to release it...
    quick question, does o2 in the UK support 14,4mbps (HSPA+) ??
    cuz here in germany o2's maximum is 7,2mbps
    08-16-11 12:02 PM
    O2 seem to be the slowest network at releasing new devices
    Yeah, I believe all networks here in the UK do, if not I know that O2 do
    Ahh, is that slow?
    08-16-11 12:14 PM
    O2 aren't normally the slowest in my experience - you're aware that Vodafone have an exclusive for the first week, right?

I've been told that they will have them in-store on Thursday and have seen the sales assistant's screen stating so too.
    08-16-11 12:32 PM
    Tbh, I didn't, its just what I've seen heard/a friend of mine told me that he saw on TV that it said it was going to be released on 19th Sept, is this O2? That it said they will have them in store? I saw somewhere about it being instore on Friday (the 19th) so I'm confused with all these dates coming from all over the place. I just hope I don't have to wait much longer !
    08-16-11 12:47 PM
    i got fed up with o2 not releasing the phone, so i jumped ship after 10+years and went to vodafone! admitedly i dont get 3g at my work anymore but it might be a combination of phone and network.

however for a mear �36 a month i get 1500minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb data!

i also bought a vodafone sure signal box, allowing full 3g coverage in my house, which is just nice to have, means i dont have to connect to wifi and remember to turn it off.

when i rang o2 to get my pac code the lady was like "oh we are getting it sometime.." and when i rang the store the day i got my 9900 the guy was like "umm.. maybe 2 weeks time"

i dont regret my change of network just a shame my shop is in a voda dead zone, but hey if i sit in the 3rd story flat of mine on my lunch i get full 3g from the local vodafones industrial grade sure start box!

just found out vodafone are updating there towers in my area soon so ill get fully coverage at work WIN!
    Last edited by badger906; 08-16-11 at 12:52 PM.
    08-16-11 12:47 PM
    This is what I mean, I'm getting fed up of waiting!
    Its so tempting to change networks, but I don't want to S:
    That's a good deal though to pay p/m for what you get!

I'me going to be headed past an o2 shop tomorrow so I might pop in to see if I can get any details of a release date but they most likely won't give anything away, worth a try though.
    Just aslong as you don't regret your choice that's great!
    How is the phone?
    I really can't wait to get my hands on it
    08-16-11 12:52 PM
    the phone is AMAZING! ive not a single complaint at all, and im a very picky person!

the keyboard is just perfect, feels like well.. poking a cloud! it fits perfectly in your hand and is very thin! and build quality is second to none.

my last blackberry (about 4 years ago) was a curve 8310, which is what i based my love of blackberry on, and regretted giving it away when i got my icrap thing!

also with it bridged to my playbook it just makes a great partnership!

if o2 had of pulled their fingers out, or even just gave us relevant up to date information, id have waited, but it was just the lack of anything that put me off.

all i was worried about was keeping my number, as ive had that since i was like 12! having it 10 years is slightly to long for me to just change it!

but yeah, i think you'll love it when you finally get your hands on one, ive youve got a local vodafone shop they all have dummies, and some have working models, or jsut pinch a staff members! but then that may make your thirst worserrr...
    08-16-11 12:58 PM
    If you're in London, there isn't really much of a reason to stick with O2. All of the networks have pretty decent coverage there, and you can keep your number easily via the PAC code system.

It's not like O2 are cheap, either.
    08-16-11 01:01 PM
    what got me when i went to get my PAC code was the womans "oh i see you have VERY good loyalty with us" and i was like "which means!?!?!"

and i got no answer.. gone are the days when you got cheaper bills every year, or better deals... every upgrade i got was the same as any joe bloggs who walked in...
    08-16-11 01:06 PM
    Yeah I was thinking of looking at the dummy phones!
    But that will just make the wait for me even worse!
    Atm I have a curve 3g, ans just by looking at the phone I can tell its gonna be better for me, button wise etc.
    Im quite a materialistic person so like to be up to date with everything, and what I've been reasing on the thread I just cant wait
    Woah, that's a long time with just one number, they do change it over though don't they? Think it just takes like a day or two?

Aye I do live in London only thing is I'm quite picky with networks, I very much dislike Orange and T-Mobile, not a big fan of Virgin or Vodafone, I do agree O2 is expensive but over the 2 years I have had this contract for I've got used to it and it doesn't cause any problems for me in anyway for what I pay p/m.
    Its just the lack of update and info on anything, bugs me so much.
    They need to keep us customers informed!
    08-16-11 01:11 PM
    Oh I know, don't get any decent offers really, I think it depends on the network maybe. All you get with O2 is deals with say their broadband, or prioty moments and offers, which for me I never actually use. Its a load of crud
    08-16-11 01:12 PM
    If I lived in London I'd probably go with Vodafone. I'm with O2 at the moment purely because they have the best signal in my area (out in the country ), everyone is with them. Everyone.

When I went to London I found the data speed performance quite poor and the signal wasn't really anything to shout about.
    08-16-11 01:15 PM
    True, but with O2 I know that I can get it on o2 as Im only upgrading rather than starting a fresh with a whole new contract, less hassle also.
    Ah I see, that kinda sucks, oh its good, not absolutely amazing, I mean at a few of my friends house I have to switch to wifi sometimes so its faster and sometimes I get no network but thats not very often, I will wait for o2, just so im not waiting for like another couple of months for it
    08-16-11 01:19 PM
    my PAC code took 4 days to do as it was over the weekend! worst 4 days of my life!!!

according to my friend who works for 3, only 3 and tmo give you full H+ speeds, all other networks limit the speed.
    I phones my last phone on H+ was very fast! infact it was faster than my home broadband.. mainly because im country folk as well...
    08-16-11 01:29 PM
    Ahh all over now!
    Hmm well I've had H+ speeds on o2, even if I didnt get it, speeds fast enough for me, so it's not really a problem, ahh, yeah I know some people who live in country/rural areas where the broadband isn't great. I dont have broadband, my phone is my internet pretty much
    08-16-11 02:20 PM
    Another thing, why is it on the Phones4U and Carephone Warehouse website you can preorder it on O2 yet its unavailable to order from O2 themselves?
    I might just pop into Phones4U as that's where I started my contract with O2, but still would rather do it by O2 themselves, this is all too confusing!
    08-16-11 06:47 PM
    I went into an O2 shop yesterday to find out if they knew when it was being released...to be told he wasnt sure but that they DO have the dummy phones in the shop! he then went on to say it could be Friday that its released, or maybe Monday...he seemed quite cagey tbh!

I'm going to try phoning O2 in the morning...because at this rate I could be tempted by Vodafone since i dont get a signal on O2 at my work...
    08-16-11 07:04 PM
    Hm, weird!
    A friend of mine had said that he saw on tv it wasn't going to be released until Sept 19th, though I saw somewhere that it was gonna be released on the 19th of this month which is Friday, Im really tempted to go with vodafone though if I can upgrade via CPW or P4U I may just do that as Ive been on O2 for a few years now and not keen on other networks (fussy me) :/
    I may have to phone them up or even better go into the o2 shop tomorrow as I will be pasing by one at somepoint.
    Do you use wifi at work? Or just have to cope with no signal? That really sucks
    08-16-11 07:16 PM
    Another thing, why is it on the Phones4U and Carephone Warehouse website you can preorder it on O2 yet its unavailable to order from O2 themselves?
    I might just pop into Phones4U as that's where I started my contract with O2, but still would rather do it by O2 themselves, this is all too confusing!
    They are so big that they have their own direct handset supplies from manufacturers and are not using O2 sourced handsets.

People waiting for a direct O2 release might want to wait a bit longer as the device still hasn't left carrier testing yet.

Having said that, CPW and P4U will connect you/upgrade you on O2 with their own handsets that don't go through any carrier testing at all.
    08-16-11 07:21 PM
    DM, can you confirm us "non contract" buyers should see devices by the end of this week?
    08-16-11 07:24 PM
    Now you've said that, makes me want to actually wait, I'd rather a handset that has gone through testing than one which hasn't; though if they haven't left yet, how long roughly would we have to wait for them to hit the stores? D:
    Or would they be avail for pre order off the website first? Then ship them out as soon as?
    08-16-11 07:39 PM
    By carrier testing, I think he means general testing of the handset before release, not that every individual handset is tested to make sure it's working before it's sold.

I know Orange use the term 'carrier testing' for when they are busy loading up the phone software with their horrible bloatware.
    08-16-11 08:15 PM
    Do you use wifi at work? Or just have to cope with no signal? That really sucks
    Nope, sadly we're not allowed to connect personal devices to the Wifi at work! Which sucks since I'm sitting with a Bold 9700, my colleague is sitting with an iPhone 4 both on O2 and cant get a signal at our desks, yet my boss can get one and she's on 3!

I'm just gonna keep on at O2, but if they havent released it by the end of the month I can see me switching!
    08-16-11 08:20 PM
    Oh I know it won't be every handset individually tested, I think thats why O2 are slower than other networks because they carry out more stuff, like even with OS's..

Ah thats rubbish!
    Thought that would be allowed, Id hate that, think it would drive me crazy Lol, I tend to be on my phone a lot!
    Yeah I think thats a good idea, Im deffo gona keep pressing them about it!
    08-16-11 08:24 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD