So for me in a Nut shell, here I go with this long awaited Berry as a business/personal end user.

I picked up my unit from BELL in Vancouver BC on Wednesday the 10th. Excited as all ****, I used it for about 4hours and it was instant bliss! Great feel, great speed, great everything thus far. I worked a little overtime in the office and was a little concerned that the battery was near dead even though I had it on charge in the car back to the office. Hmmm I thought.

I got it back home, plugged her into my PC and did a device swap via Desktop manager from my beloved Torch to my new Bold II Touch as I call it
    3/4 the way through, it was shut off....I thought "uhhh ok" Tried plugging it back in to charge even though it was plugged in USB to PC. And NADA. What came up on my screen was the red X over a battery which means no battery inserted or your battery is Toast.

After a buch of other tries, it was certain I had a funky dead battery. I go back to the BELL store in the AM tell them whats up and they give me a new battery and test to make sure it's holding a charge. It was and I happily skipped out the door to the office. As the day went on, I notice the battery drain obscene! Being that it just sat on my desk as I use my work 9780. So again I thought...."ummm wtf?" and I don't go for this "The battery needs a settling point" crap...I know electronics and this is a total theory that is bunk. A solid first charge time? yes, a break in time period...umm no. People need to educate themselves instead of saying odd things.

So after a wipe and reload of the UK official release OS, it's running better but still draining like a sive! The next morning I find the poor thing dead as a doornail on my counter, I plug it in, and nothing, no recharge. I do a test with my meter on the battery and it checks out great. So....all this time it was the phone itself. Some screw up on the pcb that finally bit it. So I thought "ahhh crap happens, it's a mass produced piece of technology and there is bound to be defects happen.

I go back to the store and they give me a whole new 9900 battery and all "just to be safe" And I'm happy to tell you, the battery life and stability is beautiful! Just rocks the house. I've been on it constantly now all day today (approximately 6 1/2 hours) and it's at 88%. Bearly drained!!

Now the reason I post this little story? Is for anyone else running into some weird issue with battery life that has not done anything odd like hybrid OS or something different to rule it out and find this post beneficial to them that maybe the same thing occurred to their unit. My 9780 was and has been bullet proof in all ways..battery and all. And I can truly say my 9900 is now equal.

It's the first time I ever run into a defective BB in all my berries but there is a first for everything. Everything is absolutely amazing on this 9900, the camera? well yes as we all know that is a little kick in the teeth for sure, I'm hoping like allot of you, that software, APP or something released can improve it's performance since no Auto Focus. Software can do allot.

Thanks for reading peepz and I'm loving my 9900 now that it's a healthy one.

Peace out.
    crigga84 and savycoop like this.
    08-13-11 09:29 PM
    Thanks for letting us know & that was a edge of yer seat report on what was happening - I was starting to stress out LOL. Awesome information and makes me wonder if that issue isn't what some of the others reporting bad battery life actually is.

I second your hope on the software fix for the camera - that's the only thing holding me back due to the number of pics I have to take for my job.

Thanks again.
    08-13-11 09:37 PM
    No sweat bro, I hope others gain a little know from my experience as well instead of wondering and doubting. Btw...battery still at 88% !! Happy is an understatement.
    08-13-11 09:39 PM
    wow 88% after 6 hours?? I have 40% after 5, i'll give it another day or so then return it.
    08-17-11 12:24 PM
    Early units are more susceptive to being iffy. I am happy with mine so far and i'll be updating os so i get way better batt life.
    08-17-11 12:44 PM
    Early units are more susceptive to being iffy. I am happy with mine so far and i'll be updating os so i get way better batt life.
    +1, updating to the OS they just posted
    08-17-11 12:47 PM
    Cool story bro (no seriously, it was)

Zipper likes this.
    08-17-11 02:12 PM
    +1, updating to the OS they just posted
    I suggest giving most of the leaks a go. The worst that can happen is it's worse than the version before. However more than likely it will be better in more ways than one. Dev's are hard at work tweaking code to get it as good as possible. It will only get better from here. )
    08-17-11 02:18 PM
    Cool story bro (no seriously, it was)

Glad you got something out of it. People just get carried away with things and I figure if a story and experience can help, then so be it.

And an update, battery life, performance, just amazing. Not one sour thing to say honestly. The only thing that gets me is people that start bashing any company if they receive a defective unit....there is a common sense factor that needs to be realized. If over 50% units were having major hardware issues I'd be upset but onzees twozees? It's going to happen. Frustrating? You bet. Deal breaker? Nope..not to me.

Peace!
    08-17-11 03:46 PM
    Hmm very interesting story. My Blackberry was having a problem with audio and speaker phone switching rapidly, but that was fixed by itself, then last night at around 3 my Blackberry was idol on my night table and it draned 36% by itself! I'm like WTF! It went from like 55 to 19% within 45 mins, restarted and it went back to normal. I got my 9900 on the 11th soo was before official launch. I may also exchange my 9900 for a newer one just in case. Thanks for the tip!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 04:34 PM
    No problem, keep in mind this went on with stock everything for me, the only sort of out of normal thing I did was "device swap" in DM. But did a wipe anyway and determined it was in fact hardware defective.
    08-17-11 11:17 PM
    I suggest giving most of the leaks a go. The worst that can happen is it's worse than the version before. However more than likely it will be better in more ways than one. Dev's are hard at work tweaking code to get it as good as possible. It will only get better from here. )
    I'd be a little cautious about loading any of the leaked OS right now, just because the only officially released OS that I've found are from Rogers, Bell, and Vodaphone. No VZW, Sprint, or Telus yet. There's no official CDMA OS to reload if you want or need to reinstall the original official OS.
    08-18-11 01:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD