I was just checking with new updates on OS5.0 , i'm able to use facebook messenger without BIS/BES. Thats great for me everything without BIS is great ( i've blackberry only becoz office restriction on no-camera policy) , waiting for other app's like facebook/twitter to work without BIS. Specially since Andriod/iOS users are able to get BBM for free while legacy BB users have to pay hefty BIS fee for using BBM and other services.
    I think there should be option for legacy BB user to run app's without BIS , some people don't need all that security/speed. All they want is not to pay high BIS fees for using the thing which are almost free ( DATA plans are required ) on all other platforms.
    11-14-13 10:03 AM
    Welcome ot the forums.

Sorry but you don't pay for BBM. You pay for BIS. BBM is a BlackBerry service.

Legacy devices NEED BIS to work. Period. There is no cost to BBM. Now, if you have BIS and a legacy device , why celebrate that Facebook works without BIS? How can you tell? You HAVE BIS. WiFi? Everything that works with BIS will work on WiFi on a provisioned device.

Sorry for the harsh welcome. But it was necessary.
    11-14-13 10:42 AM
    Welcome ot the forums.

Sorry but you don't pay for BBM. You pay for BIS. BBM is a BlackBerry service.

Legacy devices NEED BIS to work. Period. There is no cost to BBM. Now, if you have BIS and a legacy device , why celebrate that Facebook works without BIS? How can you tell? You HAVE BIS. WiFi? Everything that works with BIS will work on WiFi on a provisioned device.

Sorry for the harsh welcome. But it was necessary.
    well , i think i missed one point in my previous message.. it works on TCP/IP (i.e. normal data plan) now. I'm celebarting because I didn't brought BB for all the security or BIS features they have. I brought it becoz of non-camera phone ( ofc requirement).
    And i knw BBM is you pay for BIS but if i don't pay for BIS i dont get most of the things including BBM , android / iOS users don't have to pay for BIS to use BBM they just pay normal data charges.
    My hate for BIS is only because its not optional, it might be great feature but mandatory ( else most of the apps don't wrk , and there are hardly any apps in BB world as a matter of fact) makes it irritating.
    Without BIS mean TCP/IP not just WIFI. I believe BB might be able to keep some of the legacy BB users happy if they can work out to have no BIS (TCP/IP) app's. Just to keep their brand floating you know.
    11-14-13 11:30 AM