In previous OS's, I used to be able to do full-text searches in my contacts' notes sections. I can't figure out how to do that in OS 6.

For example...

I open and edit a person's contact record.

I type a comment in the "notes" section of that person's contact record.

I forget.

I use the blackberry's search function to search for text that I know I typed in someone's contact record, but can't remember who.

But on the new OS 6, I can't "deep search" or full-text search the address book.

The question was posted in a desolate part of the forums. I moved it to here as I too am missing this feature in OS6. It used to work perfectly on OS5. I am on .294..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Kishore Thaakur; 03-05-11 at 02:42 PM.
    03-05-11 02:37 PM
    Can someone please replicate this on .359 or .480 and confirm if this issue has been addressed by RIM.

03-05-11 02:47 PM
    Gave it a try on .480 and you're right, Notes is not being indexed.
    03-05-11 03:08 PM
    Gave it a try on .480 and you're right, Notes is not being indexed.
    Thank you. It's really sad that the search doesn't index such an important portion of the device. It indexes trival stuff like podcasts, youtube videos etc.. Wonder what the psyche of RIM programmers is..

03-06-11 02:55 PM
    Hopefully this is addressed at some point...I HATE it.
    03-06-11 03:13 PM
    Yep. I hate it as well. I have also mentioned this many times before, but it is the same for the event logs. I have no idea why if I receive an application or device error that I cannot type it into search and find it within my logs to be able to quickly copy/paste/send to an app developer or whomever. Event logs are an integral part of the OS and seem mandatory, so why can't they be searched instead of having to scroll down a thousand entries to see what the problem is? Podcasts and YouTube doesn't help for this....
    03-06-11 07:58 PM
    Event logs are an integral part of the OS and seem mandatory, so why can't they be searched instead of having to scroll down a thousand entries to see what the problem is?
    I totally agree on that. Wonder if someone at RIM is listening. The irony is that the contacts notes-indexing feature was always there. They decided to do away with it in OS6.
    03-07-11 08:29 AM
    I just tried this on .461 on my 9700. The Notes filed is no longer indexed.

Oh RIM. I know you did this in the interests of speed of search BUT, the BlackBery is a professional tool and we UNDERSTAND - we really do - that a full search may take a second or two longer.

So please put back the indexed Notes field search or, even better, make it a user choosable option. However leave it switched on by default when shipped.

Notes searching is an invaluable tool to find "soft" data like a customer's hobbies or her/his restaurant preferences. Surely that is worth searching?
    rhitdoph and flipkc like this.
    03-07-11 12:37 PM
    Oh RIM. I know you did this in the interests of speed of search BUT, the BlackBery is a professional tool and we UNDERSTAND - we really do - that a full search may take a second or two longer.
    ?
    If it was in the interests of speed, then why add trival stuff like youtube and podcasts for indexing! ..at the cost of something as important as 'Contacts data'

rhitdoph likes this.
    03-08-11 09:01 AM
    I totally concur with Pete6. I commute 3.5hours a day and listen to countless book-on-tape (now downloaded mp3 files from the library's website). I keep all the titles I've listened to under the Notes section of the Author's contact.

RIM, PLEASE restore this feature. I'm seriously contemplating going back to OS5.

Johng34
    Principal Test Design Engineer
    schocron likes this.
    03-12-11 01:38 PM
    RIM, PLEASE restore this feature. I'm seriously contemplating going back to OS5.

Johng34
    Principal Test Design Engineer
    Ditto!

schocron likes this.
    03-13-11 04:51 PM
    I disapointed with OS 6 in my Torch because I cant find anything that I wrtote in contact note field. In my 9700 I use this funtion almost two times per day. But in my torch I cant use that. I dont know i what thinking RIM to eliminate this feature !!!!!
    Last edited by schocron; 04-03-11 at 04:33 PM.
    04-03-11 03:55 PM
    Here maybe a fix http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/fo...search-601391/

I don't run QuickLaunch so I can't test this one. If someone does run QL please post if it works.
    04-04-11 11:49 AM
    So I downloaded QuickLaunch and installed the old Search program. The OS complains that Serach is being replaced wit Universal Search and did I want that instead.

I proceeded with the old Search and wonder of wonders, It searched the Notes fields.

I'd like to do this without QuickLaunch as I have never really liked that program.
    flipkc likes this.
    04-04-11 12:07 PM
    I'd like to do this without QuickLaunch as I have never really liked that program.
    Same here Pete, ..thanks so much for the efforts though. Have they done something about it in the latest leak .526? ..(Really hoping that they have not decided to completely do away with this )

04-04-11 04:43 PM
    I don't know. As you can see I found how to do this from another thread and posted the link. I can't take any credit for this at all.

I followed it up with QuickLaunch (paid my $4.99) and it worked.

What happens next, I have no idea. I do know that there is a market for an app that searches properly as I have the feeling that the old Search may well get completly dropped in OS6.1.
    04-04-11 04:52 PM
    You could always try searching for OldSearch ...
    I found it free at ... blackberryrc.com/blackberry-apps/others/2011/0415/OldSearch-Old-School-Search-v101.html
    link
    OldSearch - Old School Search v1.0.1 - free blackberry apps download ...
    simply download to PC, extract and copy the folder to your BB. Then on your BB go to the folder using 'FILES' and install 'OldSearch.jad'. Job done, Oldsearch now appears in your apps.
    If you also use Six Tools (sixtools) or another utility you can set a function key such as mute/play button to open Oldsearch.
    It is exactly the same as in BB OS 5 - and you still keep the Universal Search as a bonus!
    BB in favour again
    good luck
    Johnboyblue

just noticed Oldsearch on Crackberry ... software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=563554&n=OldSearch-%2D-Old-School-Search-as-in-OS5%2E0 - $0.99
    Last edited by johnboyblue; 05-04-11 at 04:31 PM.
    DMHinCO likes this.
    05-04-11 04:18 PM
    Have they done something about it in the latest leak .526? ..(Really hoping that they have not decided to completely do away with this )
    Can someone confirm if RIM has brought this feature back on OS .546?

05-12-11 06:57 PM
    Nope. Still missing.
    05-12-11 11:16 PM
    Nope. Still missing.
    , ..thanks anyways..

05-13-11 02:00 AM
    Do we give up on this for good on OS6? ..Feel so sick that they would do away with it! Wonder what goes on in the minds (if they have it in the first place) of RIM's OS designers. What did they gain by doing away with this feature.
    Memo contents are also not indexed anymore.

BTW: Totally out of context, but I hate the fact that they have done away with Auto Focus on 9900..
    08-14-11 04:37 AM
    Do we give up on this for good on OS6? ..Feel so sick that they would do away with it! Wonder what goes on in the minds (if they have it in the first place) of RIM's OS designers. What did they gain by doing away with this feature.
    Memo contents are also not indexed anymore.

BTW: Totally out of context, but I hate the fact that they have done away with Auto Focus on 9900..
    It has continuous focus. Better for ladscape/distant pictures. About the same for mid range pictures and a little less sharp for closeups.

90% of the people will not even notice it. Specially with 720p HD recording that is better than the PlayBook's.
    08-14-11 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD