Ok first off, I have been with rogers for about 6-7 years for my cell phone service. I have upgraded around 3 times but at the same time bought/sold cell phones on here back before data phones were around.

On april 24th I bought a BlackBerry Bold (9000) from the Pickering WirelessWave location in the Pickering Town Centre. Its a really nice phone I must say. I paid $250.00 and the rest was paid by my girlfriend as part of my birthday present. This was after 1 year that I upgraded to this phone, so it was not cheap ($500.00 right on pretty much).

Keep in mind before I explain the rest of this... This phone comes with a case that has the clip to put it on your belt. I HAVE ALWAYS USED this case when not using the phone. I have NEVER dropped this phone once onto the ground and it has NEVER gotten wet either.

Now. 2 nights ago (around 1am) I wanted to check something on my phone. But when I do check it, about 1 inch (across the screen) but vertically from top to bottom, the screen was all white, and there was a nice black circle @ the top left of the screen. I said alright I'll take it back tomorrow. I didn't have time the next day to take it back though because of work and other things so I said I would call Rogers Tech Support. The following morning, I look @ my phone and it is no longer 1inch long on the screen, its half the screen.

Now I understand that defects happen. But I have not done anything bad to this phone EVER so why this is happening i dont know.

First thing I did was called Rogers. They kept throwing me around in circles and anyone I got transferred to would say "I don't deal with this kind of stuff" and I said well I was told you do. I got transferred to a helpful person who made me do pointless things like do a battery pull.

The screen under the lens of this phone is physically damaged but I don't know how it happened.

Rogers is offering to send me a refurbished BlackBerry Bold.

In my opinion this is very unfair to me as I paid $500.00 for a new phone. Not a defective one to only be replaced by a refurb. The rogers people kept asking me why I didn't want a refurb and my reasoning is because it's been used. Why would I want a used one when this phone is not even only 2 months old (in terms of use) and its already broken?

The funny thing is, I asked them if I could switch it for an iPhone and the person said yes, but then a few minutes later said that I would be billed for $750 for the phone since I am not elligible yet for a hardware upgrade (OBVIOUSLY).

Anyone here have any thoughts on this? I am thinking if I accept the refurb unit, I might just sell it and outright buy an iphone 3gs from pacific mall or something. How much is a normal iphone 3g 16gb now unlocked (regular going price. new only).

Also, I would right a letter to the head of rogers because thats how people got stuff done when Ted Rogers was alive. But who can I write to now about my complaints? I have a feeling no one will care @ rogers anymore.

Its nice to be treated like this after being a customer and paying my bills early EVERY TIME for the past 6-7 years. I am considering paying the $500.00 termination fee to cancel EVERYTHING with them and switching over to Bell or someone else.

I would love to take a picture of the screen to show everyone here of what it looks like but I don't have a camera here at the moment
    06-12-09 06:31 AM
    I would write the letter and send more than oner copy to different people in the company. If you called and didn't like their answer then my advice is to call till you get someone who will fix this.
    06-12-09 06:36 AM
    tried 6 people and none did anything. They keeep throwing me around in circles.
    06-12-09 06:39 AM
    I had a trackball go bad on my Curve that was only six months old
    I was not happy about a refurb either. The refurbished Curve
    Was great. I could not tell a difference at all. It looked brand new.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-12-09 07:26 AM
    Man, that sucks!

Usually, isn't there a 90 day manufacturer warranty? Can you not contact RIM and get them to do something?

If not, I wouldn't settle for the refurb. Demand they replace it with a new Bold or just leave like you said.

I had a similar problem with ATT and a Nokia N75. The original handset kept freezing up and wouldnt sent any messages. ATT would troubleshoot for a few mins and then offer to send me another handset. Each new handset had the same problem. I finally asked if I could pay the difference for another phone, any phone. They said no. After 4 years of being a loyal customer who paid the bill on time, ATT wouldnt budge to help me.

I left and havent looked back.

Good luck to you man!
    06-12-09 07:47 AM
    Man, that sucks!

Usually, isn't there a 90 day manufacturer warranty? Can you not contact RIM and get them to do something?

If not, I wouldn't settle for the refurb. Demand they replace it with a new Bold or just leave like you said.

I had a similar problem with ATT and a Nokia N75. The original handset kept freezing up and wouldnt sent any messages. ATT would troubleshoot for a few mins and then offer to send me another handset. Each new handset had the same problem. I finally asked if I could pay the difference for another phone, any phone. They said no. After 4 years of being a loyal customer who paid the bill on time, ATT wouldnt budge to help me.

I left and havent looked back.

Good luck to you man!
    If you are wanting to talk to RIM do it through your carrier , because if you call them it will cost BIG $$$$
    06-12-09 08:14 AM
    I know this issue, not on the Bold, but on other phones. It's because the phone has been pressed on by something, perhaps a lighter in your trousers that was in the same pocket as you bold, or keys or so.

I suggest that you call the Blackberry support and they'll help you out. Perhaps you don't even need to contact rogers anymore, BB will do so.
    06-12-09 08:22 AM
    like I said, the phone stays in the holster on my belt. nowhere else, if its not in my hand or on my desk its on my belt... but the screen itself does look that way.... odd. Why would they use such ****ty hardware and charge so much? I guess I could say the same thing about GM, Chrysler, etc...
    06-12-09 08:33 AM
    I have a friend that works for a cell phone maker. Just like " NEW " Laptops and Computers. They are mostly all Referbed parts made to like new specs. Nothing wrong with referbs.
    06-12-09 08:38 AM
    I have bought a 2nd hand bold now, and nothings wrong with it, except the silver at the borders are a little gone
    06-12-09 08:48 AM
    Just take the refurb, testing is more stringent on them anyway.
    06-12-09 08:52 AM
    I had a similar problem with my Curve and got the same run around from Alltel so I did what any proud BB owner would do, I ordered the replacement parts myself, fixed the screen and then purchased the phone insurance plan in case something else ever happens. Google "cell phone repair parts" and you should be able to find the website for the cell dr. I hope this helps.

Tim
    06-12-09 09:50 AM
    Seriously who cares if it's refurbished? For all they know you dropped the phone. Take it and run with it. Absolutely nothing wrong with a refurbished phone. All that means is it was a previous return or even an open box. They are as good as new, if not better.

Obviously your "new" Blackberry didn't fare too well.
    06-12-09 10:01 AM
    Take the refurb. Be happy.

06-12-09 11:26 AM
    I gotta agree I understand how you feel but take the refurb phone..

06-12-09 01:08 PM
    I was sent a reburb curve, and to be honest, I swear it was better than the original!!
    06-12-09 01:20 PM
    I'm on about my 4th Bold from Rogers. First one was within 30 days of purchase, and they replaced it with new (Bold had just launched and I don't think they had refurb in the system).

The other two have been refurb, and both because Rogers Technical support couldn't properly trouble shoot a problem that could have been fixed without replacement. The refurb devices look, feel, and act brand new - I wouldn't hesitate.

$500 seems like a pretty steep price to me for an upgrade unless it was following a recent upgrade - I think I got mine last September for $249.

Anyway, I'd accept the refurb.

If you need people to write to at Rogers, I'd start with Nadir Mohamed - he replace Ted as CEO.
    06-12-09 01:21 PM
    id take the refurb imho
    06-12-09 01:33 PM
    You broke it now return your used phone for another used phone.

06-12-09 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD