My BlackBerry started playing a short noise every 5 or 6 minutes. Even when it is set to vibrate. I checked my alerts, and I do not have a file that sounds like it available.

Yesterday I used 2 apps, that I have not used before; Pandora and Podcasts. I tried to make sure that all podcasts were deleted and unsubscribed after starting to get these noises.

I have pulled the battery multiple times.

Any ideas to silence the phone?
    06-19-11 01:26 PM
    My BlackBerry started playing a short noise every 5 or 6 minutes. Even when it is set to vibrate. I checked my alerts, and I do not have a file that sounds like it available.

Yesterday I used 2 apps, that I have not used before; Pandora and Podcasts. I tried to make sure that all podcasts were deleted and unsubscribed after starting to get these noises.

I have pulled the battery multiple times.

Any ideas to silence the phone?
    Hi Grefor, Welcome to Crackberry!

At least for now go to "sounds" the little speaker symbol
    Under sound profile select "silent" until you figure out what the noise is.
    06-19-11 01:49 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunatly, the silent setting (like vibrate) does not stop the sound.
    06-19-11 03:32 PM
    Do you have the phone next to your speakers? Sometimes speakers or other electronics which aren't properly shielded cause my BB to emit a chirping white noise kind of sound. Is that what you're experiencing?
    06-19-11 05:57 PM
    I am not using external speakers.

A description I have of the noise is a metalic click-click noise. Something like a roller coaster wheel going over a track union.
    06-20-11 10:35 AM
    The noise stopped today. I have no idea why.
    06-20-11 02:38 PM
    After rechaging, the noise is back.

I also uninstalled the two apps that I used recently (Pandora and Podcast).
    06-21-11 02:04 PM
    Why don't you take in the device and have it looked at. Clearly we can not see nor hear what it's doing...
    06-21-11 02:05 PM
    Hi grefor,

This is a "me too" situation on my BB 9650. I have the exact issues you describe and have tried the same things you have. The problem first occurred shortly after I transferred data from my "old" BB phone to this new one and installed a few apps. I thought I had fixed it once (it was gone for about 3 weeks), but it came back.

The first time I "fixed" it, I thought it was because I had either installed a memory cleaner type of application or because I did a backup of my BB using the BB Desktop Software application. As I said, I thought the problem was gone.

After I updated my memory cleaner (3 weeks later), the problem came back. I was at a loss. I tried using the Desktop backup again, and it seemed to go away for a little while, but again came back within about 30 minutes.

At this point, I was close to hurling the BB against the closest wall, but patience prevailed.

I then read about a user who has a different BB model that had a similar "noise" or "chirp" problem (my noise actually sounds like someone saying "help" ). This person said it had to do with his voice mail. That is, he said his voice mail notifies him every few minutes that he has a message waiting.

I rarely have anyone use my voice mail, but I thought I'd check it anyway. Lo and behold, there was an old, saved message from BEFORE I even switched to a newer BB model. There was no icon on my phone saying I had a voice mail (probably because it was a saved message I had listened to before). I deleted the old message and kept my fingers crossed.

It has now been about 48 hours and I have NOT had the chirp return (knock on wood).

So, my suggestion would be to go into your voice mail to see if you have any current or old/saved messages (even if your BB does not show the voice mail waiting or missed call icon).

If that does not work, try a memory cleaner and/or do a standard backup of you BB using the BB Desktop Software program.

Let us know if you are successful!
    07-02-11 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD