Hey guys,
    I'm new to this whole bb world. Made the huge leap from a crappy reg phone to the 9700 a month ago. Its been sweet till all the errors started happeneing. Was hoping someone could help me out.

Here are symptoms as I've noticed them:
    1) Wouldn't get audible notifications anymore. Now alerts, no alarms, no rintones,no nothing. Went to my ringtone/alert settings and did "TRY IT" to test a sound. The message I got was something about invalid filename. I got this msg even for sounds native to the bb device!
    I did a battery pull, then all was good

2) Same issue kept re-occuring and also noticed my battery would be 75% full when I went to bed. Then like RED (5%) when I woke up. The device was also HOT! I battery pull again. Voila! (Until the next time it happens)

3) Press voicedial button. Then it says "scanning contacts, please wait" it gets to 100% and does nothing. Even after an hour.

Anyone know whatts going on? The only thing I changed during this time frame was the SD card (2GB to 8GB). So I switched back to the old card. Issues still exist. I even deleted soduku (buddy told me to try this) but it didn't help.

Sorry about the long post. But I wanted to be thorough. HELP pls!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-10 08:43 AM
    Have you tried updating your device software? If you're uncomfortable updating to software thats not from your carrier, see if your carrier has an update. Otherwise try the latest 5.0.0.680 version. Also have you downloaded an recent apps? I've seen where some apps drain the battery or have a memory leak when idle.
    05-28-10 03:32 PM
    i have the exact same problem....my battery drained from 90% last night to 6% this morning. and i will have the "invalid ring tone" notification if i use the alarm

i closed all the applications yesterday to ensure that it was not caused by the applications.
    05-29-10 09:08 PM
    i have the exact same problem....my battery drained from 90% last night to 6% this morning. and i will have the "invalid ring tone" notification if i use the alarm

i closed all the applications yesterday to ensure that it was not caused by the applications.
    What version OS are you running?
    And also sometimes 'closing' an app doesn't actually stop it from running. A lot of apps that improve berry functionality tie directly into the system startup and functions (such as email,calls,etc). The only way to be sure all 3rd party apps are stopped is to delete them or start your device in safe mode. Or use some sort of task manager app.

05-29-10 09:40 PM
    Currently using 5.0.0.344

Tried turning off my phone before sleeping and that solved the battery drain problem temporarily. However, few hours after i turned it on, the "invalid ring tone" problem came back. Had to do a battery pull to get it back to normal.

My phone was ok until the past week, have not installed any new apps.
    05-30-10 10:16 PM
    I never had those issues at all. My OS is 5.0.0.656 and I'm waiting on an official roll-out for .680 once it hits most canadian carriers.

By the way, the key combo to boot in safemode, I forgot what it was.

05-31-10 03:58 AM
    Hey guys.. Sorry about the late reply.. Went away for the weekend, then got sick and didn't get a chance to reply till now.. Anyway. I got a data logger.. I feel like my issues stem from the VOICE DIALING.

The dataloggers error msg for "Invalid Ring Tone" is due to "...... javax.microedition.media.MediaException: Media cannot start while voice dialing is active"

So, if i press the voicedial button.. Then hit end.. My RingTones start working again.. As for the short battey life portion - yet to be explained.. I'm hoping if i fix the VOICE DIAL issue, the battery issue will go away with it..

Any suggestions?

There are a bunch of other errors too, but i dont understand the coding keywords or syntax. So they mean nothing to me.

Oh, my 5.0.0.351 (Platform5.1.0.98)

I haven't tried updating the OS yet. But perhaps, that'll be the resolution.. I'll give it a try and give you all an update. Thanks for the suggestions.
    06-02-10 10:42 AM
    Try using only standard ringtones for a while just to see if this fixes the problem.

Rushing off and updating the OS is probably not the best solution although it is never a bad idea to run the latest.

What apps have you installed?

Try removing the Media Card completely since a number of 9700 users (me included) have had trouble with the socket on the phone.
    06-02-10 12:23 PM
    is there any way to disable voice dialing?
    06-02-10 09:43 PM
    Try using only standard ringtones for a while just to see if this fixes the problem.

Rushing off and updating the OS is probably not the best solution although it is never a bad idea to run the latest.

What apps have you installed?

Try removing the Media Card completely since a number of 9700 users (me included) have had trouble with the socket on the phone.
    I only use the standard tones.. Its not the tones thats giving it problems.. the tones aren't even on the SD.. they're on the device itself..

Not sure of any way to disable the voicedial.. Though it is a feature that i want since in Ontario, Canada.. its illegal to hold the phone in ur hand while driving.. Of course they have to catch u.. But hey, why play devils advocate if you dont have to..

Still yet to try the OS update.. I'll try that tonight..
    06-03-10 11:07 PM
    I only use the standard tones.. Its not the tones thats giving it problems.. the tones aren't even on the SD.. they're on the device itself..

Not sure of any way to disable the voicedial.. Though it is a feature that i want since in Ontario, Canada.. its illegal to hold the phone in ur hand while driving.. Of course they have to catch u.. But hey, why play devils advocate if you dont have to..

Still yet to try the OS update.. I'll try that tonight..
    You can delete VAD and use the Vlingo app.
    06-03-10 11:15 PM
    06-03-10 11:21 PM
    ok.. clearly i'm new to this BB upgrade process.. I was hoping DM would do it automatically like it did the first time i plugged it into my computer.. What a newb.. geez..

Can anyone help me out.. with all this talk about new OS vers.. I dont really want the hassle.. i just want my phone to work properly.. Don't need the latest stuff..
    So i have Ver 5.0.0.351.. yes i know its old.. But it made me happy before.. So 'm okay with continuning with it (for now).. How i do i reload the same OS if i wanted to? Is there like a reload/repair OS feature (like windows had)? where do i get the download file? how do i upload it to the BB?

This sucks.. Thanks in advance for any help..
    06-03-10 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD