Hi. I've had a Curve for quite some time and use it quite frequently when out of the country. When the Network Selection Mode is set to "Automatic" it will automatically find a partner carrier. However, sometimes the service it chooses will not support data, etc. So I would set it to "Manual", search for available networks and chose one that does.

My new Bold does not have that option under "Mobile Network Options", even though the user manual states it should.

I'm using the same SIM card and we've confirmed with AT&T that my account is still set up with international service. AT&T told me that when I am traveling outside their coverage area it will give me that option but I'm scared it won't.

Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.
    11-11-08 03:50 PM
    has the manual option on mine. you just click on the word automatic and change the option to manual. I assume AT&T has removed this option
    11-11-08 04:05 PM
    On my Pearl, I wouldn't have the network selection option while in the US. As soon as I was out of the country, the network selection option was available. I think that's how most AT&T BlackBerries work. You should be fine.
    11-12-08 06:35 AM
    Thanks, tx_traveler.

Someone on the phone with AT&T told me the same thing. My Curve with AT&T has the option while here in the States. I am just a little nervous to find out if it actually works when I travel.
    11-12-08 07:03 AM
    My new Bold does not have that option under "Mobile Network Options", even though the user manual states it should.

I'm using the same SIM card and we've confirmed with AT&T that my account is still set up with international service. AT&T told me that when I am traveling outside their coverage area it will give me that option but I'm scared it won't.
    AT&T has castrated the network options in an attempt to lock the SIM and device to a network of their choice. IMO you are wise to be worried about roaming options, it wouldn't be the first time a Script Monkey lied to get the customer off the phone.
    11-12-08 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD