Found this bit somewhere out there...

"

SteveJack at MacDailyNews was the first to point out the resemblance to � and the key difference with � the iPhone. He writes:

�RIM clearly seems to have tried to copy Apple�s iPhone�s exterior look, but beyond that derivative bit of attempted tomfoolery, the anachronistic physical buttons remain, taking up space whether or not they�re in use.

Also remaining is the small screen, mashed into the upper half of the device in order to make room for those tiny, slippery-looking plastic buttons festooned all over the bottom half of the device. The software�s UI has been prettied or messed up (depending on your taste), but it has none of the multi-touch goodness of Apple�s iPhone. It�s the same old, same old in an iPhone-inspired wrapper.

You can judge the distance behind and overall cluelessness of iPhone�s future roadkill by the amount they copy the iPhone�s exterior. See: LG, HTC, and now RIM, among many others. This ceaseless quest to dress up antiques in Apple veneer is pathetic and sad.�

"

Wow...iPhone's future roadkill...? pretty intense...
    05-17-08 06:33 AM
    You're posting the opinion of someone writting for "MacDailyNews".

Of course there's going to be biasedness toward an Apple product.
    05-17-08 06:52 AM
    I am not the world's greatest Apple fan so I contend that if RIM were trying to copy the iPhone then it would now have the dimensions of 2-1/4 x 3-1/2 x 7-5/8 which are the standard dimensions for a BRICK.

The iPhone is not a smartphone at all. True it has some clever features but a feature phone is all that it really is.

It is a typical Apple product, long on style and short on functionality.
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-17-08 at 07:37 AM.
    05-17-08 07:32 AM
    I'm still getting the Bold. "Tomfoolery" Indeed!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-08 07:35 AM
    So the guy doesn't like it because its not an iphone...and like most of the iphone snobs I've run into he believes that everything is trying to copy it... Geez get off it

05-17-08 09:39 AM
    The apple juice I'm drinking is so trying to rip off veryfine... Its in a bottle and there's an apple on the label... /me tired and pissy

05-17-08 09:43 AM
    LOL. What would you expect from a Apple fan.
    05-17-08 09:52 AM
    I'd like to see a power business user actually use an iPhone to send long emails, enter tasks, calendar events, etc. with that virtual keyboard. It's painful. I have an iPod touch, so I know the drill. They're fine if you're a kid, and the most you enter is your appointment with the dermatologist, or texts here and there filled with LOL, and all sorts of other jargon.

****, I even found the Pearl to be painful to use. I'm so happy with my Curve, and I'm sure the Bold would be similar, although I'm still not sold on trading my Curve for one when they come out.
    05-17-08 10:24 AM
    Call me Tom, and call me a fool, but I'm getting that bad boy as soon as I eligible for an upgrade.
    05-17-08 10:52 AM
    I will be checking out the Bold when it's released. Looks mighty fine so me so far.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I only pay attention to my own!
    05-17-08 11:11 AM
    Fool or no fool..I'll get one for myself!
    05-17-08 11:15 AM
    He dissed on the buttons!!!! I tried typing on an iphone and almost threw it against the wall it sucked so much. Bring me the bold!!!!

05-17-08 11:57 AM
    I think what he's trying to say is make something BETTER and completely different than the Iphone, not a look-a-like. Which I can understand. But now that I have a sCurve, Im definately getting the Bold.
    05-17-08 12:10 PM
    The iphone is no more a SmartPhone than a Treo is. Neither is any more smarter than a brick phone that can do some gee tom foolery. I own enough apple gear to rig up a small classroom but the iphone is not for my daily business use. It cannot compete for my needs when I have them already met with a BlackBerry (and soon BB BOLD).
    05-17-08 12:37 PM
    iPhone is a nice TOY. Clearly not made for business or anyone who regularly emails/texts etc.
    05-17-08 12:52 PM
    I currently own an iPhone and must say it was the worst choice of my life.......since I have owned many BBs in my life, I can say......once the Bold is out......the iPhone is too......
    05-17-08 01:22 PM
    A. The article was written by a MAC journalist. What would you expect?

B. The iPhone is not for business argument is losing weight. If you COMPOSE email regularly, yeah, it may not be the best choice. If all you do is receive and occasionally reply, it works just fine. Also, the keyboard is not universally bad for everyone. Some people, believe it or not, actually like it a lot and prefer it to a hardware keyboard. MS Active Sync Exchange support is right around the corner for it as well, which will allow push email, remote device control, etc.

Now, that said, for the corporate market that is reliant on BES support, the iPhone has no place. For anyone that is on BIS however, there isn't a lot the iPhone can't do for you that a Berry can do. They will both allow you to create calendar entries for life organization, they will both receive your POP/IMAP email, and if you receive your email from anything other than GMail or Yahoo, they will both receive them in 15 minute increments. They both have notepad applications, and with iPhone 2.0 firmware around the corner, they will both have a slew of apps available to them.

If you are going to hate/bash/talk down on the iPhone, at least do it for real reasons. Anyone on BIS is not able to make the "not for business" argument/reasoning. Again, BES users are a different story altogether, I will never argue that point.

What I mean by real reasons are:
    1. No MMS client
    2. No cut and paste
    3. Extreme control by Apple
    4. Potentially a single tasking environment (Apple is actually thinking of allowing certain apps to run in the background, like IM clients)
    5. The fact that you are required to sync to iTunes to delete/change things saved on the phone
    6. Inability to save images from email or the web (this is supposedly about to change though)
    7. One attachment per email
    8. Poor Bluetooth support

There are more, but those are most of the main reasons I don't like the iPhone. See, contrary to what many will think due to my initial words, I really don't like the device; at least I don't like it for real reasons, and not just because it is cool to jump on the BlackBerry bandwagon and proclaim "I don't like the iPhone because it isn't for business, (even though I am on BIS and generally use my Berry as a personal device for texting, IMing, and media/games, which the iPhone is capable of just the same.)" The part in parenthesis is what is always left out by 90% of the people who make the previous claim, but is more than likely true. I am sure some of you are on BIS and use your Berry for legitimate business reasons more than you do personal, but you are the minority, despite the majority making that statement. Just look for some of the many threads that pop up on this site pertaining to what people use their Berry for, business or personal stuff.

Finally, I do not agree with the original article and I think the 9000 is a great device, and wonderful addition to the Berry family. I think that article is written by a fanboy in the truest sense of the word, and it should be completely ignored. I am sure I am going to anger many of you with this post, but I honestly don't care. If what I said gets to you, it doesn't mean I am wrong, it doesn't mean I am "untrue" to the Berry community, it just means you need to be more open minded.
    05-17-08 02:14 PM

B. The iPhone is not for business argument is losing weight. If you COMPOSE email regularly, yeah, it may not be the best choice. If all you do is receive and occasionally reply, it works just fine. Also, the keyboard is not universally bad for everyone. Some people, believe it or not, actually like it a lot and prefer it to a hardware keyboard. MS Active Sync Exchange support is right around the corner for it as well, which will allow push email, remote device control, etc.

Now, that said, for the corporate market that is reliant on BES support, the iPhone has no place. For anyone that is on BIS however, there isn't a lot the iPhone can't do for you that a Berry can do. They will both allow you to create calendar entries for life organization, they will both receive your POP/IMAP email, and if you receive your email from anything other than GMail or Yahoo, they will both receive them in 15 minute increments. They both have notepad applications, and with iPhone 2.0 firmware around the corner, they will both have a slew of apps available to them.

If you are going to hate/bash/talk down on the iPhone, at least do it for real reasons. Anyone on BIS is not able to make the "not for business" argument/reasoning. Again, BES users are a different story altogether, I will never argue that point.

1. No MMS client
    2. No cut and paste
    4. Potentially a single tasking environment (Apple is actually thinking of allowing certain apps to run in the background, like IM clients)
    5. The fact that you are required to sync to iTunes to delete/change things saved on the phone
    6. Inability to save images from email or the web (this is supposedly about to change though)

There are more, but those are most of the main reasons I don't like the iPhone. See, contrary to what many will think due to my initial words, I really don't like the device; at least I don't like it for real reasons, and not just because it is cool to jump on the BlackBerry bandwagon and proclaim "I don't like the iPhone because it isn't for business, (even though I am on BIS and generally use my Berry as a personal device for texting, IMing, and media/games, which the iPhone is capable of just the same.)" The part in parenthesis is what is always left out by 90% of the people who make the previous claim, but is more than likely true. I am sure some of you are on BIS and use your Berry for legitimate business reasons more than you do personal, but you are the minority, despite the majority making that statement. Just look for some of the many threads that pop up on this site pertaining to what people use their Berry for, business or personal stuff.

Finally, I do not agree with the original article and I think the 9000 is a great device, and wonderful addition to the Berry family. I think that article is written by a fanboy in the truest sense of the word, and it should be completely ignored. I am sure I am going to anger many of you with this post, but I honestly don't care. If what I said gets to you, it doesn't mean I am wrong, it doesn't mean I am "untrue" to the Berry community, it just means you need to be more open minded.
    Very well said. Fantastic post.
    05-17-08 02:16 PM
    I agree with Blackberry_Cody.
    Well said.
    05-17-08 02:27 PM
    Agreed....Fantastic reply crazetoon
    05-17-08 03:05 PM

1. No MMS client
    2. No cut and paste

Yeah.. This post is an excellent and BETTER than his article! Plus, there has no games on iphone.. Mm..
    05-17-08 03:22 PM
    Very well said Crazetoon...

I also feel like Apple CS is a lot better. Here's my story...

I am currently using an unlocked 8320 with At&t...and the speaker is sometimes crackly. It comes and it goes, I am aware that I am out of luck when it comes to exchanging for a "new" (aka refurbished) phone from At&t because I took the chance and bought a T-Mo phone...but other than that; the real problem sets in, when I have BB telling me I cannot get the "out-of-warranty" work done on the phone (at a premium price that is) because the phone is still under warranty from T-Mo (which I do not have)...so basically, I have to wait the year to send my phone into BB and pay their crazy tech charges.

Point: Apple CS is, from my experience awesome. I walked into the Mac store with my 3 day old MacBook because the optical drive was making weird noises on start up and they gave me a brand new one. I saw a kid walk in with an iPhone which had a couple of "dead" pixels...they gave him a new one.

Maybe I am not aware, but BB CS seems to suck...real bad.
    05-17-08 04:25 PM
    Yeah.. This post is an excellent and BETTER than his article! Plus, there has no games on iphone.. Mm..
    The iPhone doesn't have any installable games, but there are a plethora of web app games. Some of them are actually very good, like the web app version of Bejeweled, and all of them are free as far as I know. There will be installable games with iPhone firmware 2.0 though, and from some videos/screenshots I have seen, they are shaping up to be quite impressive.

Aside from that, thanks for the kind words on my post; I am pleasantly surprised to see even a few people that agree on this site. I really didn't mean to be harsh with my post either, and in rereading it, I think I may have. I just love technology and I try to remain open minded to the majority of devices, even those I don't like for whatever reasons.

That is also why I know what I know about the iPhone. I love technology and I like to watch the high profile devices to see how they turn out over time. Despite my general dislike of the current iPhone, I will say that I am very intrigued to see how it turns out over time, because it really does have a promising future, as long as the right decisions are made for it that is.
    05-17-08 05:26 PM
    You know, people here make comments about Apple koolaid drinkers, but doing so makes you sound just like them.

BOTH devices are good.

Contrary to a comment in this thread, Apple products have style AND function, I should know, I have about 5 of them.

You can admire and love BOTH products without running them into the ground.

Take a good look in the mirror when you go off on the Apple kool aid drinkers who talk badly about RIM and it's users, because you are doing the very same thing, and sound every bit as stupid.

EDIT

I have also picked up on a snobbery in the BB community now that RIM is going after the commercial market as well as business, like the dirty common masses will now use BB's and so they won't be so special anymore. Apple snobbery is stupid, but it goes both ways. You can like both without betraying anything. For all intents and purposes the regular user base will only expland and help RIM, but yet it's looked upon as some sort of dirty move.

And yes, you can't download games (yet) on the iPhone, but the webgames are AWESOME. I use them on my iPod Touch all the time.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 05-17-08 at 06:42 PM.
    05-17-08 06:35 PM
    ok

i am a bb user for 6 yrs...had an iphone (borrowed from a friend) for a month.

lets be honest, the iphone is a revolutionary device period. a great media-centric fon with excellent/ BEST mobile internet browser in the world and this is the dawn of the internet era.

That being said it does have a lot of short comings compared to the true functionality of the BB. Hard core BB users that have mastered the short cuts and know the BB UI inside out and backwards will never drink Mr. Jobs kool aid!

i tried it, i wanted to be a macfan, i like the look of the UI on the iphone and i even got pretty good at typing on the iphone. The browser...i must repeat is SICK, excellent, amazing ! Ipod is Ipod...not a huge fan...i honestly like the simplicity of the BB media player (4.5 ver).

The iphone screen and overall form factor is too big/long, i think if the ipod touch was a fon it would be a better size.

memory wise the iphone again puts a lot of media in your pocket but the 9000 will be able to take a 16gb card so thats more than enuff for the average prosumer geek like me.

for the month i had the iphone i grew very frustrated at the "could not connect to server or timed out message or what ever the reason was for no mail" message when trying to retrieve my email via edge...i dont sms, i email and pin my contacts b/c everyone i know has a BB.

i also could not get things done as fast on the iphone as i could on my BB one handed or 2 handed. The BB short cuts are clever and navigation (for me) is effortless.

thats the reason you cant convert a hardcore BB user!

BB works, its fast, efficient, effective, ez to use and now its getting to look sexy too.

i could go on and on but the truth is that the iphone does have mass appeal over the BB because the BB is traditionally know as an expensive business mans fon and apple is genius of marketing and design, RIM is not!

Rim will narrow the gap faster on the media/consumer side of the battle faster than apple will on the enterprise / email side. RIM need to pay more attention the value of hype and not put all their eggs in R&D but make the BB a "cool" device.

i look forward to the 3g iphone next month and the BB 9000 BOLD, i think i will stay on the BB team but have to admit that the iphone is a great product and a lot of people love it, some even converted from BB and some tried to convert and came back to BB.

you cant say one is "better" than the other !

both are great, all depends what your needs are.
    Last edited by mortys11; 05-17-08 at 09:40 PM.
    05-17-08 09:27 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD