I have two questions.

"Network Technology"... what are the benefits/downsides of changing it from "Global" to "1XEV"?

Right now its global, and I have no battery issues. Is battery the only gain to changing to 1xev?

"Location On", any downsides to turning it on??

Google Maps wants it on. Does it really make a difference?

I want to maximize what I get out the Bold. I searched the forum and hope for any insight. Thanks.
    06-28-11 04:07 AM
    06-28-11 09:00 AM
    Thank you for the links! I couldn't find them when I searched.

The GPS should be set to on, it seems for the apps. Done.

With the Global vs. 1XEV debate... Global allows us to use other networks, including GSM? So if I don't mind battery loss... GLOBAL is the better choice?
    06-28-11 02:31 PM
    I have mine set to 1XEV, no sense in having it on Global if you're only on VZW.
    06-28-11 02:39 PM
    I'm on Sprint CDMA, and I turned my Global off. I'm not sure if it's true, but I read somewhere that in weak Sprint signal areas data might even switch over to EDGE if Global is on. What I have noticed is that, since turning Global off, the signal bars have been more stable with less bouncing around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Tõnis; 06-28-11 at 04:23 PM.
    06-28-11 04:21 PM
    Interesting. Thank you both. I was about to make the same switch, then reading some posts... some people claimed that in a weak signal area having it set to GLOBAL lead to picking up signals from other providers.
    06-28-11 11:54 PM
    There is also a "GSM/UMTS" option. Whats that?
    06-28-11 11:55 PM
    There is also a "GSM/UMTS" option. Whats that?
    It's to make your Bold 9650 connect to GSM/UMTS networks...although the "3G" would only work in Europe/Asia
    06-29-11 11:24 AM
    So don't need it unless I am overseas?

Thanks.
    07-01-11 06:36 PM
    It's to make your Bold 9650 connect to GSM/UMTS networks...although the "3G" would only work in Europe/Asia
    Would EDGE work in N. America?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD