I recently tried to do the wireless enterprise activation upon receiving a password from my company. It never worked. Finally I used Device Manager 4.7 to sync up my laptop and my bold and everything seemed to go fine. My Outlook calendar, tasks, and address book all sync'd just fine. However email isn't working. I can't send or receive emails on the blackberry.

I should say that my email address has an aprostrophe in it which could be the culprit. I just dont understand why the address book, etc syncs when email won't work. I've confirmed that my account is on our corporate BES server. I've also confirmed that my plan thru AT&T allows BES, not just BIS.

any suggestions?
    08-07-09 09:06 PM
    Got Similar Problem. Need Help
    08-08-09 02:51 AM
    You also have an apostrophe in your email address?
    08-09-09 09:26 AM
    No. Its a clear email address.
    08-10-09 01:36 AM
    Looks like you guys are trying to sync Outlook email with your blackberry.

BBerry doesn't have that functionality.

You can setup your berry to use IMAP or Pop3 to check email, but whatever you send out will not be synced back to your Outlook, unless of course you use a workaround. A workaround that blackberry doesn't seem interested in doing. When i asked why they pushed IMAP mail, they felt it was better....well not for someone like me who wants full copies of email on my laptop, and at least 30 days with me at all times! I also needed the ability of the 4 different accounts that I utilize for email to appear separate and from the company that they belong to (so someone sending me email doesn't realize that I check and respond to emails under 4 different domain names and businesses).

In order to be able to configure this workaround, you need to be able to get to and logon to the provider's BIS site.

Login with username and password (this you can get from your provider when you tell them you want to configure advanced email settings and are having problems doing it from your berry).

This site is usually a link to provider's area on blackberry's main site. There is also a link somewhere on here about all the BIS sites for the major providers.

You also need to be at the computer that has pop3 settings already configured in Outlook.

Open up Internet Explorer

After logging in, you choose "create account"

This is where you want to fool the system, (it tries to sense the what settings are usable from the mail servers and force IMAP on you) so you enter an incorrect password. Then when it can't connect, you will be asked to provide settings since it didn't sense them.

Choose "I will provide the settings for this account"

Click "Next"

Choose "This is my work email account" (yes I know it's probably your personal account, but this is the only option which allows you to use Internet Explorer to get the settings from Outlook)

Choose Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP)

"Automatically detect my Microsoft® Outlook™ or Outlook Express™ settings. ?
    (Requires Microsoft Internet Explorer)"

This will find your settings (pop3) on your machine and use those instead of the provider / BBerry forced IMAP.

You will then be prompted for which accounts you want to add. By default all were included. Remove those you do not want to add.

This will allow the email for these accounts to be on your computer and your device, but you still have a little more workaround to do.

In order to make sure you get a copy of everything you send from your blackberry, you want to send yourself a copy - and an easy option is included in the advanced settings through bcc. Once the accounts are added, you can click on each one, and up at the top you should have "Advanced Settings".

Scroll down till you see the bcc field and enter your email address. (I have 4 and like to keep them separate so that I am able to easily find things).

Now, you probably don't want to receive copies of the bcc'd emails you are sending from your BBery, back to your BBerry (since that would be doubling up your info), so you have to set a filter for each account. Under the option of filters, I set a filter, where whenever an email comes in with my email address in the "From" field, it doesn't d/l to my bberry.

The last and final item I wanted was not to have to manually sort through my emails each day and move the emails that I bcc'd myself from my bberry into my sent folder, so on my computer, inside Outlook, I created a rule which moves any email "from" my email addresses (youremail @ domain.com) to my sent items folder automatically upon mail arriving. At first this didn't work because for some reason my email address was picked up as spam. I suspect this is because the mail server the email account is bouncing off of has a different domain than email domain itself. Anywhooo, this will allow your bcc'd emails to download on your cmoputer and automatically move to the sent items folder where they would have been anyway if you sent them from your computer.

Yes, emails that you send yourself will be sent to the sent items folders as well, but I can't remember the last time I had to send myself something using one of these accounts. If I ever did I could easily log into my yahoo account and they would not end up in the sent items folder.
    Last edited by wrkrbee; 08-10-09 at 04:17 PM.
    08-10-09 11:24 AM
    Um...I know I'm new here, but I'm pretty sure Blackberry does work just fine with Outlook when using BES...
    08-11-09 10:57 AM
    If you have the Blackberry Enterprise Server working with an exchange server yes, but not with independent pop3 accounts that aren't hosted on an exchange server with the blackberry software.

Which, IMO, is ridiculous. Many small businesses can't afford the overhead of exchange servers, so they outsource their email to hosted servers. Many of the hosted servers don't support BES.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you haven't activated the enterprise, hence you aren't using BES services, hence, you are a stand alone (pop3) client.
    08-11-09 02:23 PM
    Thanks for the most informative post. I have been trying to figure out what I was going to do. I just moved from a 750 treo on ATT which had flawless syncing with my personal ATT email.
    B4 changing to a Bold I asked 2 people, who I know don't use a corp server for their email and the ATT donkey @ the ATT store if syncing my BB would be a problem for my emails. All said no problem. Jeez.

congrats on thinking out of the box.
    08-16-09 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD