Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've played around with bbos device. And I have some questions about the my old 9900 I gave to my mom to replace her LG flip phone.

Is it possible to use the native browser and Facebook app over wifi without BIS? If not

Are there third party browsers and Facebook apps that will work without a BIS Account? Any recommendations?

She's not very techie and I'm out of practice when using the 9900. She really only needs a Wifi only Facebook app. The browser would be a welcomed feature but not very necessary.

If you can include detailed instruction and links or what to search for, would be much appreciated.

If I recall correctly, don't I need to use desktop manager to load the bar files for the apps? Or am I completely off?

Anyways thanks for the help! My mom will love you =)
    10-30-14 09:14 PM
    I have discontinued BIS in my 9700 when upgraded to Z10/BB10 OS. Still using Bold for calls.

Stock browser works on Wi-fi as like BIS. No issues. But don't attempt to wipe Bold before giving to mom. That may erase policies.

I used Facebook on Bold but deleted due to spinning clock issue. So no idea whether it will work.
    10-30-14 11:07 PM
    I have discontinued BIS in my 9700 when upgraded to Z10/BB10 OS. Still using Bold for calls.

Stock browser works on Wi-fi as like BIS. No issues. But don't attempt to wipe Bold before giving to mom. That may erase policies.

I used Facebook on Bold but deleted due to spinning clock issue. So no idea whether it will work.
    Hey King, thanks for the reply.

The weird thing is, Facebook starts working over wifi after a battery pull or a reset (shift+ctrl+del). I don't remember if it helped with the browser though. I think I may have wiped the 9900 using the Enter 'blackberry'.

Could I switch are sims > setup phone > use browser > reset device > test browser > switch Sims > test again

To keep the browser policies? I don't remember if the 9900 required a blackberry ID to setup the phone or not.

If the z10 is fully functional without BIS, I might switch phones with her temporarily and have her decide if she prefers the bb10 devices. But I don't have a sim without BIS. Any thoughts?

She gets back on the 5th. I'll let her know how much help you were. Hehe =)
    10-31-14 03:49 AM
    Crisis averted.

read that the z10 or any bb10 device will work over wifi only. Z30 is coming in today from shopblackberry. Looks like my mom will be enjoying the z10 as soon as I get the z10 updated to 10.3.1
    11-07-14 10:00 AM