It is odd because the feature worked after a wipe and not activating on the BES. As soon as BES activation happened the low battery indicator went away.

Going to possibly try Vorino Battery monitor as a work around until we find out more.
    10-26-10 10:35 AM
    I believe it is an OS issue. I would get this warning on the stock OS (.330) but have run a couple other OS' since then that would just shut off when the battery got too low for radio use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Possibly but on all OS5? I have .862 and I have it happen twice. But I had a warning in the previous versions...

So you know normally you will get a message when your battery is low that says "Battery too low for radio use" and the radio comes off. Well twice that stopped happening. Battery was low but instead of getting the message, my phone just cuts off like if the battery is dead.

Any explanation as to why this is happening? It happened two out of two times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I haven't been able to figure it out either. it's more of an annoyance. On two occassions now, I was using the phone where the battery bar is orange. So, there's at least 20% to go and the phone would just turn off. So, I take the battery out, put it back and it turns on then shuts off. So, I try again but plug my phone in. When my phone is back on, the battery meter is RED. Checking status, it's down the 7%.

I don't even get the battery red meter warning and the "Low Battery" warning.

I think it's best not to run it too low.
    02-15-11 03:19 PM
    Same thing happens to me. My battery is down to around 25%, and with no warning, it shuts off. It would be nice to have the "low battery warning" so I can go and charge, but it is AWOL. Now I charge my phone during the daytime and when I sleep. One charge usually does not last me an entire day (I do not use Wifi, BT, have notifications off, but chat every 5 min, and receive over 50 emails per day).
    02-16-11 12:34 AM
    Sometimes this happens regardless to what OS you're using due to the battery is out of sync with your handheld meter. Try doing hard reset occasionally.

Just like what fatboy97 has said, battery has life span too normally 1-1.5 year. When that time comes, the battery is unable to hold energy as much as it used to, thus it drains faster and sometimes it just dropped.

Another case is if you had counterfeit battery where a lot of people complained the battery would drop dead straight to zero from around 25-30%.
    02-16-11 01:37 AM
    Same problem happened to me too, twice. Have noticed it happens when there is heavy usage of the phone involved.
    If the phone is mainly on idle, I do get the red battery icon, and connectivity is shut off to conserve power.
    02-16-11 05:49 AM
    I have two batteries and this AlWAYS happens to me. If the phone is just sitting there idle, it will go from white, to yellow, to red, cut the radio, then shutdown. If I'm using the phone, it can go from the last bar of white directly to shutdown w/o warning. It all depends on what you're doing at the time.

You just hafta condition yourself to expect a sudden shutdown at any point when you reach one bar.

When I reach one bar, if I don't have a charger close, I shutdown, twitter, facebook and any other apps that pull data at intervals, I drop from 3G to EDGE and I don't randomly check for messages as much to keep the backlight from going on and off to squeeze the most time, I also change my profile to silent. Doing that can buy a lot of time!
    02-16-11 12:13 PM
    Let's start with this:

Can anyone with a 9700 confirm that their unit DOES WORK as it's supposed to (i.e., white bars -> yellow bars -> empty red -> radio off -> shutdown)?

And if so, are you on an enterprise server? (Some folks seem to think that has something do to with it.)

I for one think that it's a hardware issue--maybe a defective voltage sensor--so I'm going to try to exchange mine. But I'd like to know that at least some of them out there work normally before I do.
    02-24-11 01:13 PM
    EDIT: just realised the thread date, sorry for reviving this thread.

I have a 9780 on .723 and I have this problem, I get battery too low for camera flash use at 35% then about 10 minutes after being yellow it says battery drained, and turns off, I can turn it back on and use it for 25 minutes, then it turns off completely and have to do a batter pull or plug in the charger to turn it back on (still no battery too low for radio use) then it does it once more after 10 minutes then I get battery too low for radio use. This is highly annoying, at 25%, using the camera once makes it die. Have wiped and updated/downgraded fresh, still not fixed. I am using BIS (no BES) and the original battery (bought with the phone 7 months ago) so don't understand the problem.
    08-05-12 05:06 PM
    Well, I did suggest in the thread to grab a brand new battery. See if that works. Or an extended one. Those don't need decoding, they'll work out of the box. My 9700's ms1 battery did the same thing, the extended one never did. It could just be the battery has prematurely aged.

EDIT: just realised the thread date, sorry for reviving this thread.

I have a 9780 on .723 and I have this problem, I get battery too low for camera flash use at 35% then about 10 minutes after being yellow it says battery drained, and turns off, I can turn it back on and use it for 25 minutes, then it turns off completely and have to do a batter pull or plug in the charger to turn it back on (still no battery too low for radio use) then it does it once more after 10 minutes then I get battery too low for radio use. This is highly annoying, at 25%, using the camera once makes it die. Have wiped and updated/downgraded fresh, still not fixed. I am using BIS (no BES) and the original battery (bought with the phone 7 months ago) so don't understand the problem.
    08-05-12 05:12 PM
    I will try that when I have money haha, anything you can suggest that I try in the meantime?
    08-05-12 05:58 PM
    I will try that when I have money haha, anything you can suggest that I try in the meantime?
    Charge it up frequently I guess. Extended batteries are cheap on ebay. The covers are larger than what yours is, but it fits the oem holster nice and snug.

Maybe also an external wall charger, that will help if you tend to use multiple batteries. It also charges the jm1 and other rectangle oriented ones. Curve, pearl and torch batteries require a spacer so the contacts are firm. (sorry about the random off-topicness, but it does relate to blackberry batteries)
    08-05-12 06:06 PM
    I charge it up overnight just before it dies (cuts out)
    08-05-12 07:14 PM
    Let's start with this:

Can anyone with a 9700 confirm that their unit DOES WORK as it's supposed to (i.e., white bars -> yellow bars -> empty red -> radio off -> shutdown)?

And if so, are you on an enterprise server? (Some folks seem to think that has something do to with it.)

I for one think that it's a hardware issue--maybe a defective voltage sensor--so I'm going to try to exchange mine. But I'd like to know that at least some of them out there work normally before I do.
    I'm wondering the same thing. I just got this battery in January, but until February I was hardly using the phone. In my case, I've had various versions of OS6 and recently downgraded to OS5 .862 version. The issue I have with the battery is it will die suddenly when downloading from BlackBerry World or browsing website while the meter shows 75%+ charge. I pull the battery and then it shuts down when doing the security check. Plug it in and it starts fine but the meter is now showing 50% then 10 minutes after putting on the charger it now shows 100%.

As for the voltage sensor, do you mean a circut in the phone or in the battery?
    03-01-13 12:35 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD