i woke up and my 9650 will not play any type of sound, I did not drop or damage it,its about 2 months old

last week i installed the os 6 .00.280 it ran fine with no problems

up until this morning i woke up and i can not get media audio,speaker audio,text audio,message audio,no type of sounds..

i did 2 battery pulls
    1 quickpulll

tryed changing my default theme ..got nothing ,went in my call log option changed from 70 percent to 100 ...nothing...went in to all my profile options changed them ..nothing ..tryed all the profiles including a custom one ..Nothing..

i am under insurance warranty but i obviously have to uninstall os 6 right? and put the latest vzw Os back on my bb to get a new phone ?

or is there another way around this?to get sound or audio
    10-14-10 05:28 AM
    I would try one thing first before changing your OS.
    Have your tried this:
    open your music files and start to play a music file and then pause it. Then hit the menu button and from the menu choose activate speakerphone. from there see if you can change the volume.
    My phone got stuck like this and had no volume once.
    See if this helps...
    If not, you may have to reinstall another OS.
    10-14-10 01:35 PM
    If it persists across resets it might not even be a hardware problem still...

I'd wipe the phone with BBSAK and reinstall the OS. If that doesn't work, I'd take it in to a store that is authorized to do repairs (if you don't want to swap it out). I had a similar issue and it was some kind of OS corruption and they did some sort of low level wipe that took about an hour...

However my issue was only for the speakerphone. I could still hear things normally otherwise.
    10-14-10 01:41 PM
    Have you tried headphones? Do wired or bluetooth phones work?

Plug in headphones play some music. Unplugged and see if sound is restored?

Are you sure you did not turn off all sounds?
    10-14-10 07:00 PM
    i tryed all stated above thanks but none worked now i downgraded back to os5 ..i still had no sound ..then 3 hours later i go to do a quick battery pull and i hear a sound glitch ,then before i pull the battery i hear a song from my media playing ,i finally get sound? im thinking its a hardware problem because as soon as i started to grip where the speaker is placed the sound started to buffer and finally went back to normal. So now i have sound again,but im gonna try to exchange it for a new one and then wait for the official vzw os6
    10-15-10 03:37 AM
    I would try one thing first before changing your OS.
    Have your tried this:
    open your music files and start to play a music file and then pause it. Then hit the menu button and from the menu choose activate speakerphone. from there see if you can change the volume.
    My phone got stuck like this and had no volume once.
    See if this helps...
    If not, you may have to reinstall another OS.
    I am having the same problem with my sound and tried what you suggested. The sound will play when i enable handset but won't when i enable speakerphone. any other suggestions? i recently upgraded to .975 if that helps
    10-21-10 03:37 AM
    The side speaker went out on my 9650 twice, to my great frustration both times. Never even dropped the thing, you know, so I was heated.

The first time this happened, I didn't have to do anything; someone called one day and the sound miraculously came back.

The second time the speaker went out, not even a call could resuscitate the speaker. I did this instead:

1) Went to the media folder and into the music player and got a song going.

2) Put BB on my right hand, screen-side up, and firmly hit it against the fleshy part of my left palm (the lens- and camera-flash-area being the point of contact). After the first hit the sound came back *briefly* and went away. After the second hit--this time a little firmer--the sound came back.

I understand the engineering for the speaker and its wiring is precarious and sensitive to pressure (say, for guys, having the thing in your front pocket all day... like me). We'll see how long this solution lasts.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else gets his or her dead speaker going via this method.
    Last edited by MJAUDC; 01-27-11 at 06:34 PM.
    01-27-11 06:31 PM
    The side speaker went out on my 9650 twice, to my great frustration both times. Never even dropped the thing, you know, so I was heated.

The first time this happened, I didn't have to do anything; someone called one day and the sound miraculously came back.

The second time the speaker went out, not even a call could resuscitate the speaker. I did this instead:

2) Put BB on my right hand, screen-side up, and firmly hit it against the fleshy part of my left palm (the lens- and camera-flash-area being the point of contact). After the first hit the sound came back *briefly* and went away. After the second hit--this time a little firmer--the sound came back.

I understand the engineering for the speaker and its wiring is precarious and sensitive to pressure (say, for guys, having the thing in your front pocket all day... like me). We'll see how long this solution lasts.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else gets his or her dead speaker going via this method.
    I have the same problem and that's exactly how I fix mine. First time it happened I missed class since I depend on my 9650's alarm. Thought there might be some dust or something inside the speaker so I blew in it like it was an old NES game. Heard faint music even though it was on max volume so I started hitting it against my palm like you suggested and it came back. Every once in a while it'll go out and I'll just squeeze around the speaker area with my fingers and it'll come back. I would like a long term fix for this though.
    01-28-11 09:19 AM
    I just started having this problem over the weekend and I traced it back to an application that I downloaded. I just deleted the app and the problem went away. All the sound has been restored. I'm running OS 6.0.0.431 and the app was the "One Touch Flashlight." Hope this helps.
    03-01-11 11:08 PM
    I just got my 9650 a week ago and I had this same issue creep up. Verizon is sending me a new phone since this happened within 14 days of me owning it (I fired it up for the first time this past Sunday). I started using this phone on Monday morning, and the speaker died last night. It's been, what? 2 days? I do keep the phone in my change pocket in my jeans (it's why I use small form-factor phones, like the Bold). I'm wondering if this is a very common problem, and if anyone has anymore leads as to a permanent fix. I'm glad I came across this thread, nonetheless.
    05-04-11 11:27 PM
    I just got my 9650 a week ago and I had this same issue creep up. Verizon is sending me a new phone since this happened within 14 days of me owning it (I fired it up for the first time this past Sunday). I started using this phone on Monday morning, and the speaker died last night. It's been, what? 2 days? I do keep the phone in my change pocket in my jeans (it's why I use small form-factor phones, like the Bold). I'm wondering if this is a very common problem, and if anyone has anymore leads as to a permanent fix. I'm glad I came across this thread, nonetheless.
    It may just have been a bad unit.
    05-05-11 03:15 AM
    Sound issues suck :

Common things for phones are stuck in headset mode (Just take a phillips head or headset jack and move it around and pull it out)

Stuff in the air penetrate the speaker cone (Just get a warranty replacement)

I rarely see software malfunctioning that effect the sound.
    05-05-11 09:39 AM

Hi, i have the same problem, this was the second time that the sound of my bb 9650 disappeared, the first time the sound came back and didn't have to do anything to fix it, but this time I was tired to wait for the sound to come back so, i read this forum and I did what you did with the palm, sadly it didn't work so, i was looking the floor and i thought what could happen if i drop the bb to the floor? hummm i thought about it for 2 minutes, closed my eyes and left the bb drop down to the floor, and it worked!!!!, now i have the sound again, i guess is just a speaker problem and not a OS problem.
    Thanks for the tip!...
    05-05-11 07:41 PM

Exact same thing happened to me and I followed your steps and was actually jolted with shock when the music came back after i hit the phone. Thanks for the help.
    08-21-11 08:55 PM
    When i say jolted with shock i mean it actually scared me when the music started playing. i didnt expect it to work and it did the first time.
    08-21-11 08:56 PM

Hi there! Thanks a lot of posting this very helpful info! I lost the sound on my 9650 just yesterday and I tried to search for a better solution to my problem and when I tried the magic palm tric... Voila! It worked! Hahaha! It's so amazing! Don't you think there's really something wrong with the speakers of the Model 9650??? =)

Thanks a bunch again for posting!!!

xoxo,
    pam
    09-07-11 02:34 PM

I had the same issue (no sound) started yesterday, I just did your method and BAM! my sound is back. THANK U SO MUCH
    10-05-11 09:12 AM
    Time for a new phone if you got this type problems. You did not fix it you just got it to work again for a while. If its still under warranty do not wait. If its out of warranty just beat it till you can upgrade then pick out something new.
    10-06-11 09:04 PM
    I had the same experience and fixed it myself. At that time, the side-speaker didn't work but the handphone was ok.
    I just detached the phone and found 2 metal contact-points linked to the speaker. Then I wiped them carefully with a cotton swab lightly moistened with cleaning fluid or denatured alcohol. After setting up the phone, the speaker worked again. actually, the contact-points are very small and easy oxidized.
    10-07-11 07:17 AM
    not somethin most of us woould know how to do also opennin up mit void warranty.
    11-17-11 07:18 PM
    Wow, Had a no sound problem with my main phone speaker. Side speakers and speaker phone worked fine. On a normal call, people could hear me but I could not hear them. Followed the instructions and was amazed it worked! Thank You!
    04-14-12 02:33 PM
    Had a similar problem last weekend with mine. The pressure comment makes sense. I am bad about driving with phone in the holster on my right hip which means it gets squeezed against the seatbelt connector in the car. A lot of times the bold will somehow power off even though the keypad is locked. This happened a week ago and my external speaker quit working. A few days later it happened again. When I turned it back on this time the speaker started working again
    04-21-12 11:24 AM
    Wow. I have been searching for a solution for this problem for a while. I replaced my phone, pulled the battery out. Every attempt did nothing to fix the problem. I tried you trick with hitting it against my palm and it worked the first time. Thanks.

If it�s broke, throw it against the wall.
    06-17-12 04:31 PM
    I tried your method had to hit three times but it worked.Thank you
    10-08-12 12:49 PM
    my 2c

my bold has been on the decline for a while, and I dont tend to try and fix things with violence-which is not to say it doesnt work in this situation. What I did was this. while trying to make a call, squeezed pretty hard at the handset speaker and on the back and listened for sound. When I heard that, I used an old sim card as a shim under the battery on top, replaced the battery, and now it works fine. Just an alternative which I know worked for me, maybe for you as well.
    11-06-12 09:12 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD