I am still trying to find out why the nfc is blocked on the verizon phones. I called customer support since my 2 year contract is up and I am up for renewal. what they told me was a bunch of bs. I asked why nfc on-off does not show up in the comm options. what the rep told me was that it was a hardware issue not something that was being blocked from verizon. he then went on to tell me that his tech guy told him that in order to use the nfc on the phone you would have to get a third party app and it will only work with optional equipment like card readers and such. now that is a line of bs. I told him that nfc is used for alot more things than card reader it actually stores information on it and reads information from it, that it is not meant to work with optional equipment, it is meant to be a reader/broadcaster in itself. his statement was that it is not being blocked by verizon according to his tech guy, and that verizon doesn't just block equipment on phones. I mentioned the bluetooth issue, and he said that was a whole different scenario. in essence that csr has determined my dislike for verizon and as soon as the 9900 comes to at&t I am switching. I would like to switch to sprint but due to my location(North Dakota) we only have 2 carriers AT&T or Verizon. Screw you Verizon I am done with you, but I will have the bold 99xx.
    08-16-11 07:16 PM
    08-16-11 07:21 PM
    I understand that this was the official RIM statement, but the fact that the customer service Rep told me it only works with third party aps and needs additional hardware to work was what did it for me. the lying that I have got from VZW over the last 5 years has just gotten to me and I would rather switch carriers and at least test the waters with AT&T
    08-16-11 07:25 PM
    08-17-11 02:19 PM
    Well it kind is a load of BS because it isn't just for credit card transactions. The consumer side is relatively knew to it even though some consumers have been using it without even realizing it.

But there are a couple other threads on this already so I will get into all of the benefits that NFC will bring. Unless of course I find the threads.
    08-17-11 02:25 PM
    Just upgraded to the .340 OS on my VZW 9930 and the NFC options are there!
    08-17-11 03:05 PM
    Yes, but what can we do right now with NFC in this device? What software can we download to utilize it?
    08-17-11 03:14 PM
    08-17-11 03:32 PM
    NFC is a nice concept if it catches on...
    08-17-11 03:52 PM
    What if big red decides to void warranties because their customers install leaked(non-official)os?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 04:12 PM
    What if big red decides to void warranties because their customers install leaked(non-official)os?

What do you mean "what if". Installed leaks is nothing knew. IF you bring your phone in for service just be sure to load any offical OS from your provider (Verizon).
    08-17-11 04:14 PM
    You need to insert a proprietary micro sdcard into the phone for this to work. You also need an invitation.
    08-17-11 04:15 PM

I don't think they will void your warranty for that, most carriers will hem and haw and then install their latest OS anyways...LoL

Just beat em to the chase and install the official one before you go to see them.
    08-17-11 04:16 PM
    Yes, but what can we do right now with NFC in this device? What software can we download to utilize it?
    Not an effing thing, yet.

In regards to that other thing though, a couple of have reinstalled BBM and got Wiki working
    08-17-11 04:18 PM
    NFC will be great down the road but I need Hot Spot NOW!
    08-17-11 04:28 PM
    I don't think they will void your warranty for that, most carriers will hem and haw and then install their latest OS anyways...LoL

Just beat em to the chase and install the official one before you go to see them.
    Yes, Verizon will void your warranty if you installed unofficial build, unfortunately
    08-17-11 04:31 PM
    There's nothing to say I can't wipe the device and re-install the official Verizon OS before I walk into the store with a warranty issue.
    08-17-11 06:30 PM
    There's nothing to say I can't wipe the device and re-install the official Verizon OS before I walk into the store with a warranty issue.
    That's a right way to do
    08-17-11 06:34 PM
    NFC is big everywhere but in the US, carriers are pushing it, stores don't have it and likely we will still be debating it in 10 years and maybe then we might see something more than swapping business cards.

The problem will always be competing methods of delivery and services and different OS's will do it their way and likely won't interoperate with each other. This is why standards bodies exist, but ultimately the OEM's, Carriers, Mfg's etc. opt in, opt out or dont GTS.
    08-17-11 09:00 PM
    08-17-11 09:02 PM
    a simple pay pass app and you have huge usage all over most major metros.

Done.
    08-17-11 09:18 PM
    NFC is big everywhere but in the US, carriers are pushing it, stores don't have it and likely we will still be debating it in 10 years and maybe then we might see something more than swapping business cards.

The problem will always be competing methods of delivery and services and different OS's will do it their way and likely won't interoperate with each other. This is why standards bodies exist, but ultimately the OEM's, Carriers, Mfg's etc. opt in, opt out or dont GTS.
    Yes they do. There is actually a locator on one of the NFC websites. I plugged in my zipcode and came up with a ton of stores. Of course that is only for CC payments and not the other cool things NFC can bring.
    08-18-11 10:41 AM
    Thank you and I should have clarified, its not readily available in my market. Whether or not people want to use NFC, Verizon should not be int he business of blocking it. Greed lines their pockets.
    08-18-11 01:51 PM
    Thank you and I should have clarified, its not readily available in my market. Whether or not people want to use NFC, Verizon should not be int he business of blocking it. Greed lines their pockets.
    If they want to block and charge that is fine but they should also block and charge for bluetooth and wifi.

Ok I know that would be bad but it makes about as much sense as block NFC.
    08-18-11 02:04 PM
    I agree completely. I'm sure there is some marketing or payment system thing coming along with it. Hopefully not something as stupid as VZW tying it to your monthly bill with an authorized amount per month, could you imagine what kids would be charging to their parents bills.
    08-18-11 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD