I was hoping to find a better forum than the 9900 forum for this, as there are other BlackBerry devices with NFC but I didn't see anywhere else considerable for this. Mods, feel free to move it though.

Anyway, I work for our family business and my job is Access Control (and everything surrounding this).

I'm about to order an HID RP40 prox reader to integrate with a demo access control system to utilize my 9900 and other NFC-supported devices as a valid credential, but I can't find a solid answer on the KEYS for the BlackBerry end of this. From what I've read, the NFC-supported device requires the iClass Keys in order to make this work and no matter how much I Bing my face off, all I come up with is that same stupid consumer-directed article about "Blah Blah Assa Abloy is opening doors with Yale locks".

Our HID rep for Canada (apparently there's only one) is impossible to get a hold of. On top of that, while I love this industry it's a bit ridiculous with hear-say and non-factual information getting tossed around so I'd rather not hear someones opinion.

I'm just looking for the iClass Keys that are required. Or at least for someone to explain to me how these are acquired. Anyone with any input to share on this? Thanks in advance!!
    04-03-12 12:54 PM
    You should go here...

HID Global - HID SIO

While the RP40 is compatible with most iClass credentials, you will need to first have access to HID's SIO (Secure Identity Object) Assa Abloy is a security integration company first. You have to go to the source. Even then, I would do some homework. HID reps for Canada, not sure, I have access to about 12 here in the GTA.

What acms (access control monitoring System) are you using CCure? Lenel, DvTel? Maestro? It's all well and good to want to use your device as your access card, but if you cannot find out basic information from HID, I believe you should seek some help from a qualified SSI (Security Systems Integrator).

Data within the SIO is secured with a wrapper that provides key diversification, authentication signatures, and encryption. SIOs can be deployed into a number of device form factors and provide a layer of security independent of device specific security (iCLASS, MIFARE, MIFARE Classic, DESFire, EV1, Indala).
    Vijik likes this.
    04-03-12 02:01 PM
    Man, thanks for replying! You're actually who I was hoping would chime in on this to be honest.

When I said reps, our mechanical hardware rep for our area doesn't cover HID specifically so when I called Assa, I was given the number for the direct HID rep for Canada (I have it noted somewhere) and never had success getting ahold of him. We deal directly with the supplier (we purchase directly from Assa Abloy, Ingersoll Rand, etc.)

While we currently use Schlage for our access control product, there's only so much that Ingersoll Rand offers anymore so we're looking to support something different. That's a different project I've been working on lately and not really applicable to this.

However, we ARE "integrators". But in comparison to large companies and the goings-on in the Toronto area we're a small company (London). Nothing like Honeywell or anything of the sort, so while I may not be a "textbook definition" of an SSI, I still know a great deal. It's the iCLASS technology I'd like to learn more about.

Thanks for the link though. I'm going to contact HID directly if I need access to anymore information that potentially requires special access.
    04-03-12 03:16 PM
    Hope the link helps you out.

If you find yourself spinning your wheels and not getting anywhere, add me on BBM. Always happy to help a fellow security-type person

If you have any other questions, send me a quick PM, or something. Good Luck!!

Cheers,
    E
    joski likes this.
    04-03-12 04:50 PM
    Any ideas on when we'll be able to use this for our workplace?

The description says early 2012... Early is running out of time...
    deezy87 likes this.
    04-10-12 08:43 PM
    Early is running out of time, quickly actually.
    04-11-12 09:34 AM
    Why the rush?

NFC has barely taken off in Canada. Don't get me wrong, it's out there and all, but with HID's iCLASS and the MasterCard PayPass, there's not much more than that. I'm excited to find out more about iCLASS and I will share my findings in this thread!
    04-11-12 10:17 AM
    Any ideas on when we'll be able to use this for our workplace?

The description says early 2012... Early is running out of time...
    It's already in use.
    04-11-12 12:33 PM
    It's already in use.
    Sweet..

There an app for that?
    Just put it in front of the HID coder thing?
    Any details?
    04-12-12 12:10 AM
    No, there isn't.
    04-12-12 08:43 AM
    Hee hee hee... I'm gonna revive this thread, though we may need to move it into a different forum.

I'd be very interested in finding out how to issue credentials to a BB Z10 so that it can be used for card readers. We have a number of server bays in one location that use HID-supplied smartcards currently, but if we can actually tie personal access to a phone, that would be spectacular.
    03-07-13 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD