I was wiondering how NFC is pratically useful
    Beside device pairing...
    Mobile payments as of now are not trust worthy
    NFC tags are costly
    So what else NFC can do
    08-03-11 02:13 PM
    If your business has any type of contact less devices then those may work.

I have a business conference in October that companies like Verifone are at. Imagine you are a person that accesses many secure areas or has to log in to different pieces of equipment and your daily tasks involve the following.

Opening the locked door.
    Clocking in
    Fueling your company vehicle at your own refueling facility.
    Opening the gate of the parking lot.

I am not sure how to find all the companies that use this technology but I am very excited to try it out.

I have had numerous customers ask if a device I sell can be used with HID cards that there employees already use. The acceptance has been growing as of late and would really like to see the full implementation even if it isn't on the consumer level.

As it looks now the card readers on the dispensers at the gas station already have this option. (the newer dispensers that is).

I plan on setting up 1 of my credit cards for emergencies.

http://www.nearfieldcommunicationsworld.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Field_Communication

FYI- wondering who it might be. http://www.nearfieldcommunicationswo...from-identive/
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 08-03-11 at 02:43 PM.
    08-03-11 02:32 PM
    I think its alot like Blutooth...some use it, some sometimes, some never.

But the payment concept is already employed, we already see it in credit cards a la "pay pass". And I actually really look forward to using this function, until I leave my phone in a cab.

"What is MasterCard PayPass�?
    MasterCard PayPass is a contactless payment feature that provides cardholders with a simpler way to pay. Now, you can simply tap your card, key fob or cell phone, on a point-of-sale terminal reader to pay. It works just like your traditional MasterCard payment card-but no more swiping or giving your card to cashiers.

Upgrade to an NFC-enabled phone and get more than just talk.
    Near Field Communication (NFC) is a technology that allows a cell phone to securely transmit and receive information wirelessly. With this special phone, you can pay for items at a store using MasterCard PayPass, find out movie times, get rebates and more.

NFC allows you to download MasterCard PayPass onto your cell phone in minutes and use it wherever MasterCard PayPass is accepted."

What is PayPass NFC? | MasterCard�
    08-03-11 02:54 PM
    lets be honest here. until the iphone gets this its vaporware.
    08-03-11 03:13 PM
    Even in certain jobs like real estate they can use this for lock boxes on houses like they previously did with palm phones. This can be use to open and start your car with push button start. Possibilities are endless.
    08-03-11 07:06 PM
    Even in certain jobs like real estate they can use this for lock boxes on houses like they previously did with palm phones. This can be use to open and start your car with push button start. Possibilities are endless.
    They already do this with specific cars.
    08-03-11 07:10 PM
    It's where everything is headed & RIM adopting it was spot-on wise.
    08-03-11 07:14 PM
    They already do this with specific cars.
    Not NFC. That is just radio tech. I mean having your door locks unlock when it senses your phone and being able to start it almost like the chip with your key only it is your phone.
    08-03-11 07:14 PM
    NFC seems too invasive for me. There's no privacy.
    08-03-11 07:22 PM
    I think its alot like Blutooth...some use it, some sometimes, some never.

But the payment concept is already employed, we already see it in credit cards a la "pay pass". And I actually really look forward to using this function, until I leave my phone in a cab.
    A simple blackberry system password would save you all of the problems.

As for actual usefulness, I think it's more of a cool concept rather than super practical. BT is about a low power wireless standard for wire-free connectivity. NFC (so far) kinda duplicates stuff that we do already with image recognition, etc.
    08-03-11 07:25 PM
    NFC's use I think will be fairly regional for now. Japan for instance has a lot of NFC tech rolled out. I could see the people behind Interac in Canada rolling out NFC for debit payments. I know that in Ontario anyway, Metrolinx has been considering NFC compatibility for phones/etc. for Presto 2.0. That means that there's a possibility anyway of paying for transit in Ontario with your phone in the next couple of years.

NFC has some competition in the new Bluetooth 4 low power stuff, but at the same time if a company wants to roll out something around NFC, they can go find a supplier today, and set it up fairly easily.

I think the most ironic use would be paying for gas at the gas station by tapping your cell phone on the pump, like at the places you can tap your credit card currently. Just because of all the "No cell phones!" signs.
    08-04-11 04:37 AM
    Have you guys read up on NFC before commenting? There are many possibilities for NFC, it's not just used for payment.
    08-04-11 04:47 AM
    It will take a good year and half to see this tech, widely available and very useful. Another good example is if you use tram/tube in cities like london/new york, this tech can be used as a travel card(in future)

Companies are also due to incorporate this into poster, bill boards, etc...not sure how useful it will be.
    08-04-11 05:27 AM
    NFC seems too invasive for me. There's no privacy.
    Resistance is futile. Your privacy is already compromised if you use a cell phone.
    08-04-11 05:48 AM

I think the most ironic use would be paying for gas at the gas station by tapping your cell phone on the dispenser, like at the places you can tap your credit card currently. Just because of all the "No cell phones!" signs.
    Fixed lol

This is the exact reason that I want NFC. Just in case you loose your wallet and really really need gas, this tech would be a life saver.

And getting in and out of your car while refueling (causing static electricity) cause explosions not mobile phones. But I see your point the decals are still there (along with the static electricity decals).
    08-04-11 08:37 AM
    A simple blackberry system password would save you all of the problems.

As for actual usefulness, I think it's more of a cool concept rather than super practical. BT is about a low power wireless standard for wire-free connectivity. NFC (so far) kinda duplicates stuff that we do already with image recognition, etc.
    Haha. Yes, that would be a wise choice for someone with those problems.
    08-04-11 08:58 AM
    NFC Is much lower power than Bluetooth to my knowledge, It's a simple radio tag there's no real communication between the two (Or I'm getting confused with RFID) as it's a one-way system, Challenge and response even.

Bit like with a Door pass your door pass has no current through it just an antenna.. the door lock broadcasts a radio signal and you putting your pass infront of it changes what's reflected back if you get me.
    08-04-11 09:09 AM
    I just don't see the practicality of nfc for me and its a huge security issue for me. I don't want my bank info being "transmitted" from my phone. Period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 09:43 AM
    People want innovation, but then if someone is innovative they say. well I just don't see the need, then years later when it is everywhere they forget they ever said that.

NFC is a growing technology, RIM took the initiative to bring it to the global consumer base to push the technology, it has MANY uses, think of all the Key FOBS out there for getting through doors, Master Cards Pay Pass, Gas station "tap and pay" FOBS NFC has so many practical applications.

Doctors and Nurses Carry NFC enabled devices when getting to a patient they wave their NFC device to the digital chart, and ALL relevant information is displayed to them, different doctors or nurses may need different information, why make them have to sort through things that aren't relevant to their job, Also allows traceability of when they saw the chart.

same can be said for Quality control inspectors or Cleaning crews in public bathrooms the device holds your permissions, and you are recorded as to your functions, this is often done with bar codes right now which is much more costly in the long run then mass produced NFC.
    08-04-11 09:51 AM
    I just don't see the practicality of nfc for me and its a huge security issue for me. I don't want my bank info being "transmitted" from my phone. Period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I like the possiblity of using it as a passcard.

If I has dollar for everytime a customer asked me if there current employee cards could be used to "open" the software/equipment I sell I would have a lot of dollars. Limiting the amount of items a employee has to carry would great.

Imagine the amazement they would have if I said "No, but your NFC enabled phone can be programmed to run this software."

And keys can get expensive. Factory encoding or buying an encoder can be a killer line item for that quote.

Of course this was a time when our software was running in a DOS prompt. It isn't anymore.

Another GREAT problem solver. Trade Booth check-ins. It seems that no matter what technology they try to use, Standard Bar Code (2D), RFID, etc. they seem to never work correctly. And since Verifone and similar companies have trade show booths. Imagine the cross promotion that THEY could use.

And loyality cards are just a paid to carry and need replacing a lot. (I am looking at you Giant food stores in PA). You don't need a BIGGER tag to make me use it more, damn bar codes become unreadable after 6 months.

Sorry I am getting too excited.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 08-04-11 at 10:26 AM.
    08-04-11 09:56 AM
    Can you use it to scan Bbm's
    08-04-11 10:13 AM
    Can you use it to scan Bbm's
    Do you mean scan another users phone with your phone to gain their contact info/PIN #?

Hmmm, not sure and why would it matter since you can scan their barcode already.

Please explain I am on a learning mission. I already deployed a barcoding system within my company so I always interested in new tech to help me.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 08-04-11 at 10:56 AM.
    08-04-11 10:28 AM
    People want innovation, but then if someone is innovative they say. well I just don't see the need, then years later when it is everywhere they forget they ever said that.
    More innovations fail to take off than succeed.

It's more of a miss than a hit game, as innovation is generally for the sake of innovating, not to necessarily meet an actual demand that even exists or is practical.

Also yes, you can use it to scan QR codes for BBM. But again, not exactly a huge departure from the existing QR code scanning...
    08-04-11 01:55 PM
    More innovations fail to take off than succeed.

It's more of a miss than a hit game, as innovation is generally for the sake of innovating, not to necessarily meet an actual demand that even exists or is practical.

Also yes, you can use it to scan QR codes for BBM. But again, not exactly a huge departure from the existing QR code scanning...
    How do you use an NFC chip/antenna to scan a QR/barcode? A barcode visual and the NFC is not.
    08-04-11 02:06 PM
    I said this before somewhere in crackberry forums... but I can't find it so,
    The Japanese already have a system where you get a card and when you get close to a subway station door, it automatically opens and riding fee will be charged to your account.

Parking lots and highways that require you to pay can implement this.

Hospitals, banks and government agencies can use this NFC to open doors...

How about device to device data transfer similar to Bluetooth?

Also, schools and libraries can implement this to keep track on who took home which book or lab materials.

There are so many other possibilities out there. I hope NFC get popular because if most phone companies don't come up with it, it will be doomed.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 08-04-11 at 02:47 PM.
    08-04-11 02:34 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD