You've answered all of your own questions

1) Yes, you should let your battery settle down after an OS install
    2) No, wiping and reloading will make no difference whatsoever
    3) No, Shazam works fine...
    4) Yes, that's exactly what you should do to get it to work
    Haha... That's cool.

But that's weird. I never had a problem with the battery. I usually upgrade quite often too. Is that how these new OS works now? How are some people getting good battery life right away? Maybe every phone's different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 09:19 PM
    ok .. I deleted all my vendor files .. modified my DM to disable auto updates .. when i double click my download of the os and it prompts what country and so forth.. when do i initialize the apploader from the folder? do i click yes when it asks the country .. what's the sequence cause Im getting stuck at boot rom ..
    Why don't you try CrackMem, it simplifies the process of updating OSs and removing the stuff you don't want
    05-26-10 09:26 PM
    Wow! Nimbuzz has less stability issues.
    Wifi more accurate ( if that can be said of wifi ).
    Startup about the same with 656, which is fast.
    Less free memory right after the new load.
    Less waiting everywhere.
    Camera still lags a second with wait indicator ( from 656 )
    Overall very stable but I've only got this for like 6 hous so..
    In my toilet, I've got 2 bars as opposed to various BBs that fluctuated between 3 and 4.

Hmm another pull pending.

05-26-10 10:02 PM
    so far so good... battery seems to be a bit better or maybe its a placebo effect. I really want to charge it to see if it gets lava hot like with with the previous .6xx release...

These os's come so fast i feel like i am part of a beta test group.

I messed up my bb big time as i have been reading people against wiping... well lots of settings were brought back and my calendar got messed up and it syncd it back and messed up my outlook.

I guess for me rule of thumb is to bbsak wipe then os install and put all the junk back on... extra 30 mins of work ended up costing me 2 hours.
    05-26-10 10:47 PM
    ok, so it wont let me upgrade. i have no vendor files on my comp. i have downloaded and installed the new os. i used loader and all it did was not delete any of my app (didnt want it to) and then it said the install was done. about 2 minutes... when i upgraded to 656 i didnt have this problem at all. any suggestions?
    05-26-10 11:09 PM
    hardly anybody will know.. You'll most probably hear the same thing like any OS upgrade, faster speed, more stability etc...

Personally, I dont see any significant difference in anything since like .593 or even the hybrids...

- Charles
    05-26-10 11:27 PM
    ok, so it wont let me upgrade. i have no vendor files on my comp. i have downloaded and installed the new os. i used loader and all it did was not delete any of my app (didnt want it to) and then it said the install was done. about 2 minutes... when i upgraded to 656 i didnt have this problem at all. any suggestions?
    Same here mate, Tried it through firefox, no joy, so got rid and tried again through IE as was sugested here, again no joy. Looks like I'm waiting for voda to tell me, hopefully not too long lol....
    05-26-10 11:56 PM
    Shazam still doesn't work for me... I deleted it, installed the older one. And then upgraded. Still doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong? If it doesn't work, I'll probably remove this app forever.

05-27-10 12:40 AM
    BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1149 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 5.0.0.1149
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 5.0.0.680
    Software Platform: 5.1.0.160
    File name: 9700jEastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1149_PL5.1.0.160_A5.0.0. 680_Hutchison.exe
    File size: 128.04MB
    Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Download Software here

Instructions for installing on ANY carrier's 9700:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
    2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
    3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
    If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.

Somethings not right here, on my BB 9700 i have version 5.0.0.593 wich should be older then this one when i download the file i see an older version ??
    is there something wrong ??
    05-27-10 01:56 AM
    Well, haven't got a clue what I did differently, but, I've got it lol. I wasn't really having any problems with .656 other than having to do battery pulls more, but heres hoping everything will be sweet
    05-27-10 02:38 AM
    can someone post a screenshot once he installed the soft so i can see the difference please ?

Tnx
    05-27-10 02:48 AM
    can someone post a screenshot once he installed the soft so i can see the difference please ?

Tnx

BlackBerry� 9700
    Smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
    v5.0.0.680 (Platform 5.1.0.160)
    3G Bands 1,2,5,6

Thats what it says on mine anyway lol
    05-27-10 03:03 AM
    Same here mate, Tried it through firefox, no joy, so got rid and tried again through IE as was sugested here, again no joy. Looks like I'm waiting for voda to tell me, hopefully not too long lol....
    lol why would using a different browser to download it change anything? that makes absolutely no sense and whoever suggested it is an *****.
    05-27-10 04:04 AM
    Sure...

05-27-10 04:22 AM
    lol why would using a different browser to download it change anything? that makes absolutely no sense and whoever suggested it is an *****.

No idea, but I was clutching at straws and I do have sites I can't open with firefox yet can on IE lol

05-27-10 05:03 AM
    Why don't you try CrackMem, it simplifies the process of updating OSs and removing the stuff you don't want
    What crackmem version do you have ? I got 3.4 and even tough I chose to remove everything except VVM and VAD, I can still see the offending media in my media gallery and vendor theme in themes.

The rename documents2go doesn't work as well. The only thing I'm postive that works is deleting the vendor.xml.

So far this OS gives me more 3g time that previous builds. I also noticed the boot up is much faster.

Some webpages doesn't display correctly like poynt.com I see many unreadable text (because of the background). But I use Bolt for most of my browsing anyway. Not sure about battery live. I got my BB hooked up with my laptop most of the time anway
    05-27-10 05:13 AM
    Just got it installed and now in enterprise activation, haven't got the chance to get anything work yet but i got an extra 21.4MB from what I use to have with 11 apps....Wow!!
    05-27-10 05:35 AM
    Uploaded and had it for 12 hours now
    Initially battery drained ++ when using bbm but settled now after 2 pulls
    Nothing works faster or Snappier than 656, boot up time the same, Usual apps have to be reactivated etc
    Battery life now as 656

3g coverage, Calls and Lock - all unchanged
    No extra free memory

Either the force is not with me or there is little difference practically between this and 656.

In short

Do not bother
    05-27-10 05:42 AM
    disable the internet... unplug the wire or disable the interface before running apploader
    05-27-10 05:58 AM
    I think i may have found a bug... if you are on a website that has a lot of formatting the bb slows down and the browser starts to get ghosting on page renders or any prompts.

especially if you are trying to get an ota software from a page with table and formatting...
    05-27-10 09:53 AM
    The most surefire way of a great update is thru a mac with bootcamp.

Make a full Backup using BBDMOSX. Load XP. Install your OS exe while JLCmdr-ing your BB.

On 507, battery pull. Delete disliked cods from your Java folder ( needs researching, but much more accurate then SAOS and BBMC. ) Run loader.exe with the /nojvm switch.

Right after full load, battery pull and load OSX.

Run BBDMOSX. Select your restore ( which is the one advantage BBDMOSX has over the win version, make a full backup and choose what you need ). Do a minimal restore, leaving settings and apps off the restore.

05-27-10 10:01 AM
    The most surefire way of a great update is thru a mac with bootcamp.

Make a full Backup using BBDMOSX. Load XP. Install your OS exe while JLCmdr-ing your BB.

On 507, battery pull. Delete disliked cods from your Java folder ( needs researching, but much more accurate then SAOS and BBMC. ) Run loader.exe with the /nojvm switch.

Right after full load, battery pull and load OSX.

Run BBDMOSX. Select your restore ( which is the one advantage BBDMOSX has over the win version, make a full backup and choose what you need ). Do a minimal restore, leaving settings and apps off the restore.

you can do selective restore in win as well.

I basically do what you just stated but all the folks here go on about how wiping is useless... in any case if i don't wipe it and let the loader load the os it backs up everything wipes loads new os and then restores everything which is what i NEVER want...

so i bbsak' it and load the os and then selective restore data only. like bookmarks... mail etc etc.
    05-27-10 10:18 AM
    battery drain per hr average: .8%/hr
    - with regular, but not excessive use
    BB Web browser: faster... a lot faster.
    - i was on 2 bars of edge reception and everything loaded like i was on 5 bars of 3g... impressive

those were 2 things i noticed, and loved. so problems thus far. ENJOY!
    05-27-10 11:53 AM
    Zain Jordan just released an official version of this OS....unfortunately I don't have the link, but you can grab the link over at bbleaks.com . Their version is multi-language for those of you who held off because of the lack of your language.

05-27-10 11:56 AM
    Link for my above post:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...CF9BC82D2FC19F

05-27-10 11:59 AM
296 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD